Aspirin Does NOT Cause Damage To Stomach Or Intestines

haidut

Forum Supporter
There has been a great deal of controversy in regards to the effects of aspirin on the GI tract. Most sources of "common" medical knowledge claim that aspirin is very bad for the GI tract, while Ray has claimed that is not true and sometimes even the opposite.
This study claims that aspirin does NOT cause damage (ulcers) or permeability in the stomach or small intestine when administered on its own. However, when administered with other uncoupling agents like DNP, aspirin does increase the damage cause by that harming agent. But aspirin only increased the damage when administered intraperitoneally together with the harming agent, which is not how most people ingest aspirin. Aspirin does decrease the levels of certain prostaglandins, but contrary to the "common" medical knowledge this did not lead to damage of the mucosa in any of the studied portions of the GI tract. Surprisingly, the authors say that this is expected and that aspirin has to be administered in doses 10 times higher for a long period of time to produce some sort of GI damage. Pretty much what Ray said - i.e. studies in which aspirin was shown to cause damage used extremely high doses designed to produce damage, and for most people using aspirin therapeutically this is not an issue.
Bottom line - in doses equivalent to human doses of 1,000mg-1,500mg using oral administration aspirin alone does NOT cause damage to the GI tract.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 723.x/full

"...Gastric permeability: Table 1 shows the mean 0–5, 5–24 and the total 0–24 h urinary excretion of sucrose following its oral administration 1 h and 24 h after drug administration. None of the drugs was associated with any significant increase in sucrose permeation, although there was a trend for increased sucrose excretion when indomethacin was given 1 h before the test (5–24 h and total 0–24 h excretion values). These results are consistent with previous studies."

"...Intestinal permeability: Intestinal permeability following vehicle, indomethacin, aspirin and DNP. Intestinal permeability is significantly increased in the 1–6-h period following indomethacin and DNP administration (with or without aspirin). Aspirin alone had no significant effect on intestinal permeability. Results are expressed as the mean (± s.e.) urinary excretion (% dose) of 51CrEDTA. * Differs significantly (P < 0.01) from control."

"...Morphological studies: Macroscopic assessment of the small intestinal mucosa 20 h after administration of the drugs showed no abnormality following vehicle, DNP or aspirin. Following DNP plus aspirin all animals had small intestinal ulcers (number: 12 ± 6, mean ± s.e.), located on the mesenteric border of the small bowel, just distal to the site of DNP instillation. These were macroscopically identical to the ulcers found in the indomethacin treated group (number: 22 ± 10). The indomethacin ulcers differed only by their mid small bowel location and they were more numerous."

Here I get sharp pains with half an aspirin and vitamin K... This is perhaps where differences come into play if rats have more mucus or people in general have better micronutrient status.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
Here I get sharp pains with half an aspirin and vitamin K... This is perhaps where differences come into play if rats have more mucus or people in general have better micronutrient status.

Or, if you already have mucosal damage. Didn't you mention something about having a gastritis / duodenitis?
There is another study showing that even i rats with ulcers combining aspirin with baking soda prevented almost fully the irritation caused by aspirin. If that is the case then Alka-Seltzer is your friend or you make your own. The ideal mixing ratio is 2:6 for aspirin to baking soda. This means 2,000mg aspirin (6 tablets) to a teaspoon (6g) of baking soda.

haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:

Or, if you already have mucosal damage. Didn't you mention something about having a gastritis / duodenitis?
There is another study showing that even i rats with ulcers combining aspirin with baking soda prevented almost fully the irritation caused by aspirin. If that is the case then Alka-Seltzer is your friend or you make your own. The ideal mixing ratio is 2:6 for aspirin to baking soda. This means 2,000mg aspirin (6 tablets) to a teaspoon (6g) of baking soda.

Yes, it has been bad for a while, I took bicarbonate for years but the other day I took it and it hurt. But perhaps it was a gas bubble.

Peata

Alka Seltzer is my preferred way to take aspirin - easier on my stomach.

The other day, I took some BC powder because I had a headache and all I had to wash it down with was Coke, and it burned my stomach (not that bad) for about 20 minutes.

sladerunner69

Aspirin was giving me terrible diarrhea, bloody stools, IBS, etc for months when I first started taking it. It definitely has a sharp effect on the GI tract....

Makrosky

haidut, besides what you said about baking soda, didn't you post a study last year claiming taking niacinamide or glycine (can't remember which) along with the aspirin prevented gastrointestinal damage from aspirin ? Or am I recalling it wrong ?

Tommix

I dont understand how people even came up with stupid idea that acetylsalicylic acid can cause problems. Dissolve it with water in you mouth..does it feels like strong acid to you? no. That's the answer. :) i drink 7 grams of ascorbic accid and still no prblems, and compared to acetylsalicylic acid - ascorbic is sooooooo much stronger.

Also acetylsalicylic acid for me gives no side effects, i drink every day about 300mg. The only 'side effect' is that blood becomes more 'runy' don't know english word for it. I ordered vitamin K, will see does it helps. Also vitamin c does the same, so i do this with double power :D

Mr Rossi

I also got gastrointestinal problems from aspirin. Same problems with Vitamin C.

I dont understand how people even came up with stupid idea that acetylsalicylic acid can cause problems. Dissolve it with water in you mouth..does it feels like strong acid to you? no. That's the answer. :) i drink 7 grams of ascorbic accid and still no prblems, and compared to acetylsalicylic acid - ascorbic is sooooooo much stronger.

Also acetylsalicylic acid for me gives no side effects, i drink every day about 300mg. The only 'side effect' is that blood becomes more 'runy' don't know english word for it. I ordered vitamin K, will see does it helps. Also vitamin c does the same, so i do this with double power :D

It isn't stupid. I have problems with aspirin. I think it's due to h. Pylori.

Mr Rossi

in the ascorbic acid form?
Yes. But I tried other Vitamin C forms, too. Every time problems with bloating etc. for some days.

I took aspirin always with Vitamin K. It helped a lot with my nerve pain in the jaw/face but I have a little worry of my stomach and fears of gastritis.

Last edited:

X3CyO

Pure powdered aspirin doesnt cause irritation in comparison to tablets personally.

Compared to raw garlic or onion its very weak.

Dissolving in warm water is also a great alternative with tabs.

sladerunner69

@haidut I have been following the "thyroid surrogate" protocol which I believe you posted a while back- it is 200mg caffiene, 325mg aspirin and 500mg niacinimide repeated 2-3x daily for thyroid support. I have been following it for the past few weeks with good results, good calm energy, and it has heleped me use dhea and feel the boost without getting too uncomfortable. So a sincere and grateful thank you for that.

Anyways, I have been suffering some gastrointestinal discomfort. Especially today I have had a burning bum and frequent trips to the lou. This happens sometimes when I drink too much coffee too fast, and I beleive it is related to bile irritation or acidity but I am not sure.

Last time I high dosed aspirin was when I had a terrible sore throat over the summer, and I needed to dull the pain. So I used aspirin >5 grams a day for about a week. I started to get a discomfort in my lower abomen, right above my pelvis and behind my waste. I figure this is where the intenstines are located. Dr. Peat mentionned specifically that too much aspirin can damage the intenstines so I became concerned and switched from aspirin to tylenol and eventually the stomach discomfort resided.

However, here I am again after a few weeks of taking just 1 gram of aspirin per day and I am beginning to feel some mild discomfort in the same region, right above the pelvis. I am worried if this is the aspirin that is again causing this, but I am also wondering if maybe it could be all of the coffee I am drinking or the starches/excipients from the capsules and tablets.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I have been following the "thyroid surrogate" protocol which I believe you posted a while back- it is 200mg caffiene, 325mg aspirin and 500mg niacinimide repeated 2-3x daily for thyroid support. I have been following it for the past few weeks with good results, good calm energy, and it has heleped me use dhea and feel the boost without getting too uncomfortable. So a sincere and grateful thank you for that.

Anyways, I have been suffering some gastrointestinal discomfort. Especially today I have had a burning bum and frequent trips to the lou. This happens sometimes when I drink too much coffee too fast, and I beleive it is related to bile irritation or acidity but I am not sure.

Last time I high dosed aspirin was when I had a terrible sore throat over the summer, and I needed to dull the pain. So I used aspirin >5 grams a day for about a week. I started to get a discomfort in my lower abomen, right above my pelvis and behind my waste. I figure this is where the intenstines are located. Dr. Peat mentionned specifically that too much aspirin can damage the intenstines so I became concerned and switched from aspirin to tylenol and eventually the stomach discomfort resided.

However, here I am again after a few weeks of taking just 1 gram of aspirin per day and I am beginning to feel some mild discomfort in the same region, right above the pelvis. I am worried if this is the aspirin that is again causing this, but I am also wondering if maybe it could be all of the coffee I am drinking or the starches/excipients from the capsules and tablets.

Adding even 1tsp gelatin or some glycine can eliminate the side effects of aspirin and improve its absorption. I posted a study long time ago that the side effects of aspirin in the stomach can be simply due to glycine depletion.

schultz

Adding even 1tsp gelatin or some glycine can eliminate the side effects of aspirin and improve its absorption. I posted a study long time ago that the side effects of aspirin in the stomach can be simply due to glycine depletion.

And baking soda as well, from what I remember.

Here is the study I was thinking of

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/922417

"These findings indicate that sodium bicarbonate in amounts equivalent to one-third of a teaspoonful of baking soda protects the gastric mucosa against aspirin-induced damage and prevents the usual fall in potential difference after aspirin."