Aspirin Crystals Vs Alka-seltzer

satsumass

Forum Supporter
Hi, wondering given the fact that alka-seltzer is buffered as well as liquid, if it is an acceptable substitute for the powdered aspirin + warm water + baking soda + glycine concoction. The Alkaseltzer is just so much more convenient especially if I am up in the middle of the night....I do notice say when I am on vacation and take aspirin by pill that it does cause problems after a few days with respect to stomach pain and probably stomach lining/ mucosal damage.

Generally try to take some gelatin with the alka seltzer especially at night but not always. Trying to do an average of 1-2 alkaseltzers tablet per day, sometimes more.

jitsmonkey

the issue with AS is the anhydrous citric acid
some folks don't tolerate it at all
some suggest that chronic use is problematic even if tolerated well
ymmv

yurt

Alka-Seltzer is a magic formulation.

According to Bayer, the active ingredients of the unflavoured version are: acetylsalicylic acid 324mg, citric acid anhydrous 965mg and sodium bicarbonate 1,625mg.

Sodium acetylsalicylate, sodium citrate and sodium bicarbonate remain after reaction in water.

This formulation achieves several things:

1) Acetylsalicylic acid is not very soluble in water (even warm water). Sodium acetylsalicylate is much more water soluble.

2) The effervescence drives the reaction, which is complete in minutes and requires little if any stirring. The bubbles also provide a nice mouthfeel.

3) The sodium citrate masks the slightly unpleasant flavour of the aspirin.

4) The excess of bicarbonate leaves an alkaline solution which helps protect the digestive tract from injury (and helps relieve "acid indigestion").

Add some glycine and sodium ascorbate to the final solution and you have proven protection from gastro side effects, although this might not be sufficient for everyone if taken daily.

If citric acid is of concern, make your own formula based on the above ideas; dissolve aspirin crystals in slightly warm water with sodium bicarb, glycine and (if desired) sodium ascorbate. If you're using tablets, excipients like silica or starch* will settle out, or perhaps can be removed with a coffee filter.

Note that sodium acetylsalicylate is quite unstable in water and must be consumed soon after reaction.

(*I have found some starch-based tablets to be almost indestructible and cannot be made to dissolve fully in water or other solvents!)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals