Aspirin Could Reverse The Effects Of Tooth Decay

ddjd

Aspirin can be quite abrasive and acidic so be careful using it as a toothpaste, personally I think having a diluted mouthwash is the best way to go.
That's why I'm saying add the bicarbonate of soda to remove the acidity

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
@Soren @Inaut

Hey guys. I definitely think it's having a positive effect on teeth health. I'm not noticing any damage and I feel like my teeth are actually less sensitive - so I'm going to continue with this, and hopefully see some substantial improvement over time.

I had another idea .

ASPIRIN + sodium bicarbonate = sodium salicylate.

In many studies @haidut has quoted its just as effective as regular aspirin.

I wonder if that might be a better option for a mouthwash with all the same positive effects on teeth, without the acidity!

Sounds like an interesting idea have you tried it yet?

ddjd

Sounds like an interesting idea have you tried it yet?
Thanks for reminding me to post

so ive been doing the sodium salicylate (aspirin+ sodium bicarbonate) mix, using 1g of aspirin, every 3 or 4 days for over a month now

i have had issues with tooth sensitivty for years and its actually working amazingly well- signficant reduction in teeth sensitivity.

im not 100% sure if its moreso the sodium bicarbonate or the aspirin. maybe ill do a test of a few weeks using sodium bicarbonate alone.

either way, its working!

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter

so ive been doing the sodium salicylate (aspirin+ sodium bicarbonate) mix, using 1g of aspirin, every 3 or 4 days for over a month now

i have had issues with tooth sensitivty for years and its actually working amazingly well- signficant reduction in teeth sensitivity.

im not 100% sure if its moreso the sodium bicarbonate or the aspirin. maybe ill do a test of a few weeks using sodium bicarbonate alone.

either way, its working!
That's awesome glad to hear.

Do you not have any issues with acidity or abrasiveness with that much aspirin?

I know when I put too much aspirin in my mix it's like me mouth is chalky.

Or does the addition of sodium bicarbonate change it significantly?

Osukhan

either way, its working!
really impressed with this mix, as a dentist ive never even heard of these combinations before! def will give it a try

ddjd

really impressed with this mix, as a dentist ive never even heard of these combinations before! def will give it a try
FYI I mix the 1g of aspirin in about 1 pint of boiling water and add around 2-3 tsp of sodium bicarbonate until the acidity is completely neutralised.

Then I clean my teeth so they can be fully exposed to the mixture.

Once it cools, I'll slowly drink it, swishing each gulp in my mouth for a couple of minutes for full teeth exposure to the sodium salicylate.

It's also great for gum health. Great that as a dentist you're going to try it!

Birdie

FYI I mix the 1g of aspirin in about 1 pint of boiling water and add around 2-3 tsp of sodium bicarbonate until the acidity is completely neutralised.

Once it cools, I'll slowly drink it, swishing each gulp in my mouth for a couple of minutes for full teeth exposure to the sodium salicylate.

Really glad to hear about this ddjd. Thank you. I will try it when I have tooth sensitivity.

I've been using a sodium bicarbonate tooth paste and making mouthwash of peroxide and water, hoping it will help with a little redness between and above two teeth.

I haven't seen any improvement but it isn't getting worse either. It's been about a month since I noticed it. Well, I should try your mixture and see if it helps my gums.

LA

In this study, they found an aspirin gel to be more effective. If anyone has access to pubmed, maybe you can look at the methods section and let us know what the "gel" includes.
[view:]The effects of aspirin gel and mouthwash on levels of salivary biomarkers PGE2, TNF-α and nitric oxide in patients with periodontal diseases - PubMed
The effects of aspirin gel and mouthwash on levels of salivary biomarkers PGE2, TNF-a and nitric oxide in patients with periodontal diseases - PubMed
Faiza Hasan et al. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2019 Sep.
Authors - - Faiza Hasan 1 , Rahila Ikram 2 , Shabana Usman Simjee 3 , Kanwal Iftakhar 3 , Kamran Asadullah 4 , Mohd Usman
1 Department of Pharmacology, Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi, Pakistan.
2 Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Karachi, Pakistan.
3 HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, International Centre of Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Karachi, Pakistan.
4 Crown Dental Clinic, Karachi, Pakistan.
5 Nighebaan Pharmacy, Karachi.
PMID: 31813866
Abstract
Inflammation and its mediators have an important role in gingivitis and periodontitis. Prostaglandin is one of the eicosanoid involved in many chronic inflammatory diseases, including periodontal diseases. Aspirin irreversibly acetylates cyclooxygenase and inactivate this enzyme responsible for the production of PGE2 that mediates pain and inflammation. The aim of the study was to prepare aspirin gel and mouthwash in 1% concentration and use it in patients with periodontal diseases during the non-surgical periodontal treatment and to assess its anti-inflammatory effects on salivary biomarkers PGE2, TNF-a, and nitric oxide. Thirty patients were divided into three treatment groups, standard treatment group, second received scaling and root planning with gel application of 1% aspirin, third received scaling and root planning followed by rinsing with 1% aspirin mouthwash. Results indicated that the levels of PGE2, TNF-a and nitric oxide in the groups of patients received gel treatment and mouthwash treatment was decreased to significant levels (p<0.001) as compared to the group of standard treatment. Aspirin gel was found to be more effective in reducing inflammatory biomarkers in contrast to aspirin mouthwash (p<0.001). We concluded from our study, that low concentration of aspirin oral preparations are highly active in reducing the inflammatory biomarkers associated with periodontal diseases.

Similar articles

- Effectiveness of local drug delivery system using 1% metronidazole gel and mouthwash in treating periodontal diseases.
Hasan F, Ikram R, Abbas A, Asadullah K. Hasan F, et al. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2020 Sep;33(5):2053-2058. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2020. PMID: 33824113 Clinical Trial.
[view:]Effectiveness of local drug delivery system using 1% metronidazole gel and mouthwash in treating periodontal diseases - PubMed]
Abstract
The gold standard therapy for treating the periodontal infections is the removal of bacterial plaque and deposits of calculus from tooth surfaces by scaling and root planning. In order to eliminate these bacterial reservoirs, beside conventional treatment, chemo therapeutic agents are commonly prescribed by periodontologists. To avoid the systemic side effects and development of antibiotics resistance, local drug delivery methods has gained the attention of dentists to treat periodontal infections, along with scaling and root planning. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of local drug delivery system in combination with scaling and root planning, by using 1% metronidazole gel and mouthwash. The patients were divided into 3 groups. Group I: conventional treatment group. Group II: patients received treatment with gel. Group III: patients received treatment with mouthwash. All groups received treatment for 30 days. Clinical parameters and salivary concentration of TNF-a, PGE2 and nitric oxide were measured before and after treatment in both groups. All clinical parameters and inflammatory biomarkers significantly reduced in gel and mouthwash group patients (p=0.001) as compared to patients received conventional treatment. The gel is found to be more efficacious than mouthwash especially in reducing clinical attachment loss (p< 0.05) and in reducing inflammatory biomarkers (p=0.001). We strongly suggest the use of metronidazole via local drug delivery system combined with scaling and root planning to treat periodontal diseases.

- Effects of 1% amitriptyline gel and mouthwash in patients with periodontal diseases via local drug delivery system: A randomized control clinical trial.
Hasan F, Ikram R, Simjee SU, Iftakhar K, Asadullah K. Hasan F, et al. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2019 Jul;32(4(Supplementary)):1855-1860. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2019. PMID: 31680083 Clinical Trial.
[view:]Effects of 1% amitriptyline gel and mouthwash in patients with periodontal diseases via local drug delivery system: A randomized control clinical trial - PubMed]
Abstract
Amitriptyline, an agent universally used to treat depression, has an anti-inflammatory activity and a potential for lowering inflammatory mediators. Periodontal diseases like gingivitis and periodontitis if untreated contributes to gingival tissue destruction and bone resorption. These diseases are commonly treated with conventional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents and antibiotics along with standard periodontal treatment. The aim of this experimental, observational and randomized clinical control trial was to evaluate the anti-inflammatory effects of amitriptyline on clinical parameters and on inflammatory biomarkers in patients of periodontal diseases by developing 1% oral gel and mouthwash formulations. 30 patients participated in the study were grouped in three categories, patients received standard conventional treatment, patients received gel treatment for four weeks after standard treatment, patients received mouthwash for four weeks after standard periodontal treatment. Results showed that amitriptyline gel and mouthwash in 1% formulation showed promising results by significantly reducing periodontal parameters and inflammatory biomarkers (p<0.001) as compared to standard treatment. Thus, we suggest that gel and mouthwash formulation of amitriptyline is highly efficacious in treating the periodontal diseases.

- PGE2, IL-1 beta, and TNF-alpha responses in diabetics as modifiers of periodontal disease expression.
Salvi GE, Beck JD, Offenbacher S. Salvi GE, et al. Ann Periodontol. 1998 Jul;3(1):40-50. doi: 10.1902/annals.1998.3.1.40. Ann Periodontol. 1998. PMID: 9722689
[view:]PGE2, IL-1 beta, and TNF-alpha responses in diabetics as modifiers of periodontal disease expression - PubMed]
Abstract
Diabetes mellitus is a systemic disease that affects more than 12 million people in the United States and represents a risk factor for periodontitis with odds ratios of 2.1 to 3.0. New data support the concept that in diabetes-associated periodontitis, the altered host inflammatory response plays a critical role. We have recently examined the gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) mediator level, monocytic secretion, and clinical presentation of 39 insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) patients and 64 non-diabetic patients with various degrees of periodontal health and disease. First, we found that there was an unexpected high level of GCF mediators among the IDDM subjects, even in the gingivitis and mild periodontitis patients. Furthermore, the GCF and monocytic mediator responses were obviously bimodal in distribution with respect to periodontal status. Gingivitis patients and mild periodontitis patients represented one low response group, and the moderate and severe periodontitis subjects the high response group. Accordingly, these 4 periodontal subgroups were pooled to form 2 main groups for analyses--group A (AAP Types I-II) and group B (AAP Types III-IV). Diabetics had significantly higher GCF levels of both PGE2 and IL-1 beta when compared to non-diabetic controls with similar periodontal status. Within the diabetic group, the GCF levels of these inflammatory mediators were almost 2-fold higher in group B subjects when compared to diabetics from group A. Among diabetics, GCF TNF-alpha levels were only marginally detectable and no significant difference was found between group A and group B patients. Insulin-dependent diabetic patients with gingivitis or mild periodontitis (group A) and moderate to severe periodontitis (group B) have abnormal monocytic inflammatory secretion in response to LPS challenge from Porphyromonas gingivalis (P. gingivalis) as compared to non-diabetic periodontal patients. Data suggest that the diabetic state results in a significantly upregulated monocytic secretion of PGE2 (4.2-fold), IL-1 beta (4.4-fold), and TNF-alpha (4.6-fold) when compared to non-diabetic controls. Within diabetics, LPS dose-response curves demonstrated that monocytes from group B patients secreted approximately 3 times more PGE2 and 6.2 times more TNF-alpha than those from group A; however, there was no significant difference in monocytic IL-1 beta secretion between the 2 diabetic groups. This upregulated monocytic trait is thought to exist independently of the presence of severe periodontal disease since, in non-diabetic patients with adult periodontitis, Gram-negative bacterial infections alone are not sufficient to elicit a systemic hyperresponsive monocytic trait. Between group A and group B diabetics, there was no significant difference in metabolic control as expressed by mean level of glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c). In conclusion, our data suggest that diabetic patients have exaggerated inflammatory responses when compared to non-diabetic controls. Furthermore, within diabetics, individuals with moderate to severe periodontitis (group B) have significantly elevated monocytic secretion of PGE2 and TNF-alpha upon LPS challenge and significantly higher GCF levels of PGE2 and IL-1 beta when compared to patients with gingivitis or mild periodontal disease (group A). Thus, we suggest that insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus is a significant risk factor for more severe periodontal disease because, as compared to non-diabetics, diabetic subjects react with an abnormally high degree of inflammation to an equivalent bacterial burden.

- Effectiveness of Simvastatin 1% oral gel and mouthwash used as an adjunct treatment of scaling and root planning in the treatment of periodontal diseases.
Hasan F, Ikram R, Simjee SU, Iftakhar K, Asadullah K. Hasan F, et al. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2019 Nov;32(6):2673-2677. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2019. PMID: 31969301 Clinical Trial.
[view:]Effectiveness of Simvastatin 1% oral gel and mouthwash used as an adjunct treatment of scaling and root planning in the treatment of periodontal diseases - PubMed]
Abstract
Simvastatin is an anti-hyperlipidemic drug which reduces the cholesterol synthesis and also has anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory and anti-microbial action against the bacteria. This develops the interest of periodontologist to use it in combination with conventional treatment to treat periodontal diseases. The objective of the study was to develop the gel and mouthwash of simvastatin and use it locally to treat gingivitis and periodontitis as an adjunct to scaling and root planning. The patients were randomly allocated into three groups that were standard treatment group, gel treatment group and mouthwash treatment group. Results indicated that simvastatin gel and mouthwash in 1% preparation showed favorable results by significantly reducing periodontal parameters and inflammatory biomarkers (p<0.001) as compared to standard treatment. Thus, we strongly suggest the use of simvastatin by local drug delivery system as an adjunct treatment of scaling and root planning.

- Macrophage activating factor: A potential biomarker of periodontal health status.
Zhang P, Fan Y, Li Q, Chen J, Zhou W, Luo Y, Zhang J, Su L, Xue X, Zhou X, Feng Y. Zhang P, et al. Arch Oral Biol. 2016 Oct;70:94-99. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2016.06.010. Epub 2016 Jun 9. Arch Oral Biol. 2016. PMID: 27341461 Review.
[view:]Macrophage activating factor: A potential biomarker of periodontal health status - PubMed]
Abstract
Objective: In periodontitis, activated macrophages not only initiate immune responses to periodontal-pathogen infections, but also damage the periodontal tissues by releasing a series of inflammatory cytokines. Macrophage-activating factor (MAF) and macrophage-chemotactic factor (MCF) are two important mediators involved in macrophage accumulation, activation and function. This study analyzed the levels of salivary MAF and MCF in healthy individuals and those with different periodontal diseases, and assessed the usefulness of salivary MAF and MCF as diagnostic biomarkers in periodontal tissue health status.
Design:
Ninety-five saliva specimens were collected from healthy individuals (n=19), and patients with gingivitis (n=19), mild periodontitis (n=17), moderate periodontitis (n=20), and severe periodontitis (n=20). Pocket probing depth (PPD) and alveolar bone loss (ABL) were recorded via periodontal probing and dental radiography, respectively. Salivary MAF and MCF concentrations were assayed using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays.
Results:
MAF level tended to increase in saliva as periodontal diseases progressed (healthy periodontium<gingivitis<mild periodontitis<moderate periodontitis<severe periodontitis). The concentration of salivary MAF in periodontitis correlated positively with ABL (r=0.758) and PPD (r=0.779). In contrast, salivary MCF levels increased significantly only in periodontitis.
Conclusions:
Salivary MAF levels correlate positively with tissue destruction in periodontal diseases. It is a potential valuable biomarker that could be used to assess periodontal health status.
Keywords: Macrophage-activating factor; Oral health status; Periodontal disease; Saliva.

:[other]
- The use of controlled release locally delivered 10% doxycycline hyclate gel as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: clinical and microbiological results.
Ahamed S, Jalaluddin M, Khalid I, Moon N, Shaf TK, Ali FM. Ahamed S, et al. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013 Nov 1;14(6):1080-6. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10024-1455. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013. PMID: 24858755
[view:]The use of controlled release locally delivered 10% doxycycline hyclate gel as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: clinical and microbiological results - PubMed]
Abstract
Background: Local delivery of antimicrobial agents provides higher concentration of the drug in the periodontal site for longer periods than systemically delivered methods. In the present study an attempt is made to know the efficacy of controlled local drug delivery of doxycycline as an adjunctive treatment in the management of chronic periodontitis.
Materials and methods:
A total of 12 patients, diagnosed as Chronic Periodontitis in the age of 25 to 55 years, were selected of both the sexes in this study. They were divided into Experimental group consisted of 30 sites who received complete scaling and root planing (SRP) followed by placement of Atridox gel and control group consisted of 30 sites who received only SRP. Clinical parameters were recorded at, baseline, days 30, 90 and 180. Parameters were plaque index, gingival index, gingival bleeding index and microbial analysis, probing pocket depth and Clinical attachment level (CAL). The microbiological analysis was done at baseline visit and at 90th day. Probing pocket depth and CAL were recorded only on day 0 and 180th day.
Results:
In 180 days study, both the groups exhibited a significant improvement in periodontal status. Significant gain in attachment level was observed in both the group. Between both the groups the clinical parameters in the experimental groups exhibited better results as compared to the control group. Both the groups exhibited significant reduction in the number of spirochetes.
Conclusion:
Combination therapy of SRP and 10% DH gel demonstrated better results at all levels suggesting that this therapy can play a significant role as an adjunct to SRP in the management of chronic periodontitis.

- Clinical effect of azithromycin as an adjunct to non-surgical treatment of chronic periodontitis: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials.
Zhang Z, Zheng Y, Bian X. Zhang Z, et al. J Periodontal Res. 2016 Jun;51(3):275-83. doi: 10.1111/jre.12319. Epub 2015 Sep 12. J Periodontal Res. 2016. PMID: 26362529 Review
[View:]Clinical effect of azithromycin as an adjunct to non-surgical treatment of chronic periodontitis: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials - PubMed]
Abstract
The results of recent published studies focusing on the effect of azithromycin as an adjunct to scaling and root planing (SRP) in the treatment of chronic periodontitis are inconsistent. We conducted a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials to examine the effect of azithromycin combined with SRP on periodontal clinical parameters as compared to SRP alone. An electronic search was carried out on Pubmed, Embase and the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials from their earliest records through December 28, 2014 to identify studies that met pre-stated inclusion criteria. Reference lists of retrieved articles were also reviewed. Data were extracted independently by two authors. Either a fixed- or random-effects model was used to calculate the overall effect sizes of azithromycin on probing depth, attachment level (AL) and bleeding on probing (BOP). Heterogeneity was evaluated using the Q test and I(2) statistic. Publication bias was evaluated by Begg's test and Egger's test. A total of 14 trials were included in the meta-analysis. Compared with SRP alone, locally delivered azithromycin plus SRP statistically significantly reduced probing depth by 0.99 mm (95% CI 0.42-1.57) and increased AL by 1.12 mm (95% CI 0.31-1.92). In addition, systemically administered azithromycin plus SRP statistically significantly reduced probing depth by 0.21 mm (95% CI 0.12-0.29), BOP by 4.50% (95% CI 1.45-7.56) and increased AL by 0.23 mm (95% CI 0.07-0.39). Sensitivity analysis yielded similar results. No evidence of publication bias was observed. The additional benefit of systemic azithromycin was shown at the initially deep probing depth sites, but not at shallow or moderate sites. The overall effect sizes of systemic azithromycin showed a tendency to decrease with time, and meta-regression analysis suggested a negative relation between the length of follow-up and net change in probing depth (r = -0.05, p = 0.02). This meta-analysis provides further evidence that azithromycin used as an adjunct to SRP significantly improves the efficacy of non-surgical periodontal therapy on reducing probing depth, BOP and improving AL, particularly at the initially deep probing depth sites.
Keywords: azithromycin; meta-analysis; periodontitis; root planing.

Last edited:

Birdie

Thanks. This is interesting. My little preparation (tepid spring water with baking soda and aspirin) doesn't adhere to the gums like a gel would.

I glanced through the abstracts. I could get my doctor to Rx the doxy gel but I have taken by mouth the (better I think) monohydrate form, 50mg three times a week, for a couple of years. But haven't used it for a year so don't know if that might help my red area. And maybe it was helping back when I had no red areas. Should say the hygienist disagreed with me that a problem was developing in my gums. I didn't have a lot of respect for her opinions in general though.

I like to think I know it all. :):

Birdie

Okay, you swish for a couple of minutes. Got it.

LA

Thanks. This is interesting. My little preparation (tepid spring water with baking soda and aspirin) doesn't adhere to the gums like a gel would.

I glanced through the abstracts. I could get my doctor to Rx the doxy gel but I have taken by mouth the (better I think) monohydrate form, 50mg three times a week, for a couple of years. But haven't used it for a year so don't know if that might help my red area. And maybe it was helping back when I had no red areas. Should say the hygienist disagreed with me that a problem was developing in my gums. I didn't have a lot of respect for her opinions in general though.

I like to think I know it all. :):
Sorry to learn of your distress. I had a sore spot on my gums and baking soda usually burns my mouth so my dentist told me to swish and gargle with warm salt water until it went away; every hour if needed. I used Sea-salt and I also took Azithromycin which is now my favorite antibiotic. I hope your gums are perfect soon! Best to you.

LA

Curious, why is Azithromycin your favorite?
I had no bad reactions, took it for 4 days and it worked perfectly.
My husband has taken it too and had a bad reaction the first day. The next time he needed antibiotics I reminded him about his reaction; some nausea and chest pain. He replied - "it was not *that* bad - Azithromycin acts faster and I'd rather get it over with !"

Lollipop2

I had no bad reactions, took it for 4 days and it worked perfectly.
My husband has taken it too and had a bad reaction the first day. The next time he needed antibiotics I reminded him about his reaction; some nausea and chest pain. He replied - "it was not *that* bad - Azithromycin acts faster and I'd rather get it over with !"
Cool. Thank you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals