Aspirin Conditioning Protects The Stomach From All Irritants

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written how the stomach can be conditioned to tolerate aspirin by using titrated dosages, after which the stomach becomes very resilient to higher aspirin dosages as well as all kinds of other irritants. This study confirms the approach. The conditioning schedule was 5 days of human dose 1.5g aspirin after which the rats' stomachs became irritation resilient.

Gastric adaptation to injury by repeated doses of aspirin strengthens mucosal defence against subsequent exposure to various strong irritants in rats - PubMed
"...Gastric adaptation to injury during repeated doses of acetyl salicylic acid (ASA) is a well documented finding but it is not known whether this adaptation affects the tolerance of the mucosa to other strong irritants. Gastric adaptation was induced by repeated daily doses of acidified ASA (100 mg/kg in 1.5 ml of 0.2 N HCl) given intragastrically (series A rats). Control rats with an intact stomach were given daily intragastric vehicle only (1.5 ml of 0.2 N HCl) (series B). After full adaptation to ASA (5 days), rats were challenged again with acidified ASA or, for comparison, with strong irritants such as 100% ethanol, 200 mM acidified taurocholate, or 25% NaCl for 1 hour or with water immersion and restraint for 3.5 hours. The first dose of ASA produced numerous gastric lesions and deep histological necrosis accompanied by a fall in the gastric blood flow, negligible expression of epidermal growth factor (EGF) and transforming growth factor alpha (TGF alpha) or their receptors, and no evidence of mucosal proliferation. As adaptation to ASA developed, however, the areas of gastric lesions were reduced by more than 80% and there was a noticeable decrease in deep necrosis, a partial restoration of gastric blood flow, an approximately four-fold increase in EGF expression (but not in TGF alpha) and its receptors, and an appreciable increase in mucosal cell proliferation compared with vehicle treated rats. Increases in the mucosal expression of EGF receptors and the luminal content of EGF were also found in ASA adapted animals. In ASA adapted rats subsequently challenged with 100% ethanol, 200 mM TC, 25% NaCl, or stress, the area of the gastric lesions and deep histological necrosis were appreciably reduced compared with values in vehicle treated rats. This increased mucosal tolerance to strong irritants was also accompanied by the return of the gastric blood flow towards control levels and further significant increases in the mucosal expression of EGF receptors and mucosal cell proliferation. Gastric adaptation to ASA enhances the mucosal resistance to injury by strong irritants probably as a result of the restoration of the gastric blood flow and increased cell proliferation that may result from increased mucosal expression of EGF and its receptors."

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It's hard to believe I used to think I was allergic to aspirin! I remember years ago I would become really warm when I took aspirin so the doctor I was going to at the time decided based on that bit of info that I must be allergic! What a tragedy. I'm glad I got a second opinion from myself on this matter. A day doesn't go by now that I don't take aspirin and I'm so glad I do! Obviously someone who is truly allergic shouldn't take aspirin but I'm glad that's not me. Thanks haidut for the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mittir

Technically it is "Aspirin Intolerance". I do not think aspirin allergy exists.
Aspirin desensitization is a very simple way to fix it for majority of the people.
But it is extremely rare to find doctors or facilities that do that, at least not
few years ago. I think this treatment is slowly spreading now.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Medicine wrong again!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Imagine that!

nograde

Adaption to Aspirin and other irritants is well known. However if you are HP positive things are not so easy:

Helicobacter pylori-positive peptic ulcer patients do not adapt to aspirin.
Helicobacter pylori-positive peptic ulcer patients do not adapt to aspirin. - PubMed - NCBI

On the other hand HP eradication is more efficient with Aspirin:

Effect of high-dose aspirin on Helicobacter pylori eradication.
Effect of high-dose aspirin on Helicobacter pylori eradication. - PubMed - NCBI

Does long-term aspirin use have any effect on Helicobacter pylori eradication?
Does long-term aspirin use have any effect on Helicobacter pylori eradication? - PubMed - NCBI

Long story short: You better get rid of HP before starting with Aspirin.

himsahimsa

In Gastric adaptation to injury by repeated doses of aspirin strengthens mucosal defence against subsequent exposure to various strong irritants in rats. - PubMed - NCBI they use acidified aspirin to induce the damage. I think this suggests that aspirin in an acid environment is especially hard on the mucosa. Probably why you can get "buffered" aspirin. So I think for those who are bothered by aspirin, taking it with milk or calcium would make it less irritating and taking it with OJ or lemon aid or when having an episode of "acid indigestion" or after pizza, would make it worse.

Mittir

Aspirin, H. Pylori, Starch and Gastric Ulcer

RP style diet of low starch and low fermentable fiber should be
helpful in lowering H. Pylori bacteria. Starch can feed H.Pylori by increasing
hydrogen production. Here is a quote from Dr Ayers post on H. Pylori, Gastric Ulcers and cancer.
(Starch feeds Klebsiella and low starch diet seems to help Ankylosing Spondylitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis by lowering Klebsiella bacteria . http://www.kickas.org/medical/index.shtmlArthit)

Dr Ayers said:
Hp Lives on Hydrogen from Gut Biofilms

Further evidence of the integral nature of Hp as part of the natural gut flora is its use of molecular hydrogen (H2) as an energy source, i.e. high energy electrons for its electron transport chain to produce ATP or to power membrane transport. The source of the hydrogen is Klebsiella in biofilms in the intestines. The hydrogen diffuses into the intestinal blood supply and is circulated to the stomach lining where it provides energy for Hp. Attacking gut biofilms may starve Hp and feeding starch (indigestible branch oligosaccharides are unique food source only accessed by Hp pullulanase) enhances Hp hydrogen nutrients. [Since regulation of the Hp genes is not thoroughly understood, it is also possible that ample starch could shut down nitrogenase and starve the Hp.]
source : http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com ... s-and.html

Here is an association study showing higher rate of H. Pylori related precancerous gastric
lesions with increased starchy vegetable ( Potato, yum, plantains etc) consumption and very low with fruits.
http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/13 ... l.pdf+html

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
himsahimsa said:
In http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8537043 they use acidified aspirin to induce the damage. I think this suggests that aspirin in an acid environment is especially hard on the mucosa. Probably why you can get "buffered" aspirin. So I think for those who are bothered by aspirin, taking it with milk or calcium would make it less irritating and taking it with OJ or lemon aid or when having an episode of "acid indigestion" or after pizza, would make it worse.

I think Peat may have been right when he recommends non-coated, non-buffered aspirin. This study claims that the coated and/or buffered versions have several-fold higher risk of GI bleeding than the plain uncoated version.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance ... 8/fulltext

"...Use of low doses of enteric-coated or buffered aspirin carries a three-fold increase in the risk of major UGIB. The assumption that these formulations are less harmful than plain aspirin may be mistaken."

Now, the study looked at low doses (325mg daily). I wonder if their findings would apply to higher doses used by Petarians.
Also, there was a study I saw recently claiming that the GI bleeding risk is primarily caused by H. Pylori under the stimulation of aspirin. Aspirin itself did not cause ANY damage in people not infected with H. Pylori and the human dosage used was quite high (90mg/kg), which would translate to 6g-8g per person per day. Definitely within the range of what some Petarians use. I will post the study when I find it.

jitsmonkey

I think Peat may have been right when he recommends non-coated, non-buffered aspirin. This study claims that the coated and/or buffered versions have several-fold higher risk of GI bleeding than the plain uncoated version.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance ... 8/fulltext

"...Use of low doses of enteric-coated or buffered aspirin carries a three-fold increase in the risk of major UGIB. The assumption that these formulations are less harmful than plain aspirin may be mistaken."

Now, the study looked at low doses (325mg daily). I wonder if their findings would apply to higher doses used by Petarians.
Also, there was a study I saw recently claiming that the GI bleeding risk is primarily caused by H. Pylori under the stimulation of aspirin. Aspirin itself did not cause ANY damage in people not infected with H. Pylori and the human dosage used was quite high (90mg/kg), which would translate to 6g-8g per person per day. Definitely within the range of what some Petarians use. I will post the study when I find it.

Haidut would "buffered" also include mixing plain aspirin powder w Baking Soda?

I think buffered tablets don't dissolve quickly and make their way to the duodenum where they cause damage. Dissolving cheap uncoated aspirin in hot water with baking soda overcomes the problem. Cheap aspirin dissolves pretty easily compares to buffered. The trick is dissolve in the stomach not in the duodenum.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut would "buffered" also include mixing plain aspirin powder w Baking Soda?

I think that is the correct way to make buffered aspirin. All other "buffered" versions contains bad stuff that irritates your stomach and colon.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think buffered tablets don't dissolve quickly and make their way to the duodenum where they cause damage. Dissolving cheap uncoated aspirin in hot water with baking soda overcomes the problem. Cheap aspirin dissolves pretty easily compares to buffered. The trick is dissolve in the stomach not in the duodenum.

Exactly this! The studies comparing plain aspirin with buffered showed that the plain one almost never caused bleeding issues and if it did it was only in people with H. pylori infection. Bufferred aspirin wreaked havoc on the duodenum of ALL people taking it. Also, the studies with GI and brain bleeding also showed plain aspirin to have protective effects exactly on the these two conditions that are the primary official reasons for not recommending aspirin. So, dissolve your aspirin in some water or Coke and drink happily.
Aspirin Actually Lowers Risk Of Bleeding In The Brain
Aspirin Reduces Death / Complications From GI Bleeding

Ahanu

I think that is the correct way to make buffered aspirin. All other "buffered" versions contains bad stuff that irritates your stomach and colon.
So alka selzer would be a good option? Exept for its price!

Ahanu

I never had a bad reaction to it and i am to lazy to mix it my self

squanch

Do I understand this right:
You think the aspirin and baking soda mix would be the correct way to buffer aspirin, but pure aspirin without anything added (as in acetylsalicylic acid) is still the better option?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do I understand this right:
You think the aspirin and baking soda mix would be the correct way to buffer aspirin, but pure aspirin without anything added (as in acetylsalicylic acid) is still the better option?

No, I think properly buffered aspirin with baking soda is probably the best. Plain aspirin is better compared to the "buffered" varieties sold in grocery stores.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sometimes I take aspirin with glycine.

Yep, also a great way to protect from the possible (and unlikely) damages from aspirin.