Aspirin can slow down the progression of emphysema

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yet another study, adding to the mountain of evidence that if there is such a thing as a "wonder drug" then aspirin comes as close to it as possible. The study findings are great news not only because emphysema is such a widespread disease, but also because it is considered both progressive and incurable. While the current findings are not enough to suggest aspirin as a cure, the doses used were small and used infrequently (i.e. 81mg-325mg per dose, 2-3 times weekly). If bigger doses were used and on a daily basis, I suspect the results would have been curative for a large portion of the patients.

A Longitudinal Cohort Study of Aspirin Use and Progression of Emphysema-like Lung Characteristics on CT Imaging: The MESA Lung Study

"...Currently, no strategies exist— beyond smoking cessation—that reduce the risk of developing emphysema. Because previous data has drawn associations between emphysema and the pulmonary vasculature, researchers hypothesized that aspirin, which reduces platelet activation, may help to prevent progression of the disease. In order to further explore this possibility, researchers followed 4372 participants over 10 years. Participants underwent up to 4 CT scans assessing the progression of emphysema, and 81% of participants underwent spirometry tests to measure breathing. Overall, 21% of participants were regular aspirin users, and 55% either smoked or had quit smoking before the study began. Researchers found that participants who took aspirin regularly had a significantly slower progression of emphysema over the course of the study, even after adjusting for factors such as age, gender, duration of smoking, and high blood pressure. "Our study found that persons taking aspirin regularly had a slower progression of emphysema over 10 years compared to those who did not, and that this difference was not explained by many factors that we believe affect progression of emphysema,” they concluded. "The findings might suggest that regular aspirin use may slow the progression of subclinical emphysema, perhaps through effects on platelet activation or inflammation."

aliml

This is the first study that we are aware of to show an association between aspirin use and longitudinal progression of percent emphysema. Prior studies have found platelet-related genes serotonin receptor 4 (5-HT4R), von Willebrand factor (VWF), and its platelet-receptor GP1BA to be associated with FEV1 and COPD.40, 41 Additionally, platelet factor 4 increased emphysema when added to a neutrophil elastase animal model of emphysema,19 and platelet activation was found to be greater in patients with COPD compared with control subjects and during exacerbations.20, 21

The consistency of the results for low-dose (81 mg) and full-strength (300 to 325 mg) aspirin suggests that inhibiting platelet activation is the most likely explanation for these findings, as 81 mg every 3 days impacts platelet activation.27 Platelet activation causes pulmonary microvascular constriction, which is reversed by aspirin.18 This may be relevant, as reduced pulmonary microvascular blood flow is seen in emphysema and even mild COPD,10 may contribute to disease pathogenesis, and early vascular changes in emphysema may be reversible.42 Additionally, platelet activation causes greater neutrophilic inflammation,17 which is also implicated in COPD.9

However, other mechanisms of aspirin such as the anti-inflammatory and potentially bronchodilatory effect of reducing COX-1-dependent prostaglandins cannot be ruled out.43 Although we did not perform expiratory CT scans to evaluate functional small airways disease, gas trapping is likely a minor contributor to the results for percent emphysema measured at full inspiration, and the normal results for lung function also suggest that this is unlikely.

Circulating serotonin levels in COPD patients are significantly higher and can be a predictor marker of the onset of COPD or worsening of airway obstruction.

pubh12

Forum Supporter
My doctor thinks I have COPD in tandem with my sleep apnea or caused by an autoimmune issue. Made it sound like there’s not much to be done if it is the cause.

Im going to try aspirin I think at a high dose daily. Anybody know if there is any downside to doing this that I should be aware of first )

David PS

My doctor thinks I have COPD in tandem with my sleep apnea or caused by an autoimmune issue. Made it sound like there’s not much to be done if it is the cause.

Im going to try aspirin I think at a high dose daily. Anybody know if there is any downside to doing this that I should be aware of first )
Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

My grandfather died from emphysema….

“While emphysema and lung cancer are two different conditions, they do share some associationsTrusted Source and share the main risk factor for both which is cigarette smoking. Both can lead to immune system malfunction, inflammation, and cell damage which play a role in the development of the two diseases.

While the physiology of emphysema itself does not cause lung cancer or vice versa, either condition may create an environmentTrusted Source in which the other can thrive. For example, cell damage from emphysema can cause stress and genetic changes in the lung tissue. Likewise, cancer cells can damage alveoli and other lung tissues, resulting in COPD-like conditions.

In fact, one study suggests that emphysema is the strongest known marker for the development of lung cancer. This is not to say that emphysema is lung cancer, only that people with emphysema are at a higher risk of eventually developing lung cancer.”

“People with mild emphysema who quit smoking have a normal life expectancy. Those who adopt good health habits can enjoy a fairly normal lifestyle for a long time. Even people whose emphysema is severe have a good chance of surviving for five years or more.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals