Aspirin and NSAIDs inhibit protein synthesis? Aspirin and bodybuilding

AndrogenicJB

Have stumbled across info that aspirin like ibuprofen inhibits protein synthesis, I go to the gym for muscle building purposes 3 times a week, if these comments are true, how can I reap the metabolism benefits of aspirin without hindering the muscle building purposes. I train monday, wednesday, friday. Should I take aspirin on a sunday? Is once a week enough to give you the benefits of aspirin?

Dr. B

Have stumbled across info that aspirin like ibuprofen inhibits protein synthesis, I go to the gym for muscle building purposes 3 times a week, if these comments are true, how can I reap the metabolism benefits of aspirin without hindering the muscle building purposes. I train monday, wednesday, friday. Should I take aspirin on a sunday? Is once a week enough to give you the benefits of aspirin?
its a pro metabolic substance, it can boost muscle growth in some who have excessive inflammation.
i looked into this once and it comes down to AMPK vs Mtor. Mtor iirc is stimulated by protein intake especially bcaa. stimulates protein synthesis, anabolic, etc. AMPK opposes it and is catabolic, and iirc AMPK lowers protein synthesis and increases wastage of energy and uncoupling. i think legion or some websites articles on berberine went into this. aspirin is a mild stimulator of AMPK which means it will lower mtor. however i think certain disease states like cancer could have excesively high mtor to begin with, so raising AMPK may be valuable. iirc berberine is one of the biggest boosters of AMPK. i think even though AMPK opposes mtor theres some mechanism by which it could still even out, or maybe they said just make sure you also consume lots of protein.

this site goes into detail, im also interested in the subject, control F search for mtor and ampk What Science Says About the Top 5 Benefits of Berberine
but keep in mind apparently aspirin isnt as powerful an AMPK stimulator as berberine, but it depends on dosage too.

S-VV

Muscle synthesis is an adaptive process. When the challenge to the muscle can be met constructively, androgens (amongst others) increase muscle mass. When the stimulation exceeds the energetic capacity of the cell, emergency mechanisms like estrogen and prostaglandins are recruited to cope with the situation. This leads to increased cell proliferation, but at the expense of the integrity of the whole organism. Aspirin only blocks the second kind of growth by reducing prostaglandins and estrogen.

This is because the maximal rate of protein synthesis (relying on short term adaptive mediators) is not the same as the optimal rate, and studies take anything below maximal rate as a detriment when it is in fact a protective effect.

Dr. B

Muscle synthesis is an adaptive process. When the challenge to the muscle can be met constructively, androgens (amongst others) increase muscle mass. When the stimulation exceeds the energetic capacity of the cell, emergency mechanisms like estrogen and prostaglandins are recruited to cope with the situation. This leads to increased cell proliferation, but at the expense of the integrity of the whole organism. Aspirin only blocks the second kind of growth by reducing prostaglandins and estrogen.

This is because the maximal rate of protein synthesis (relying on short term adaptive mediators) is not the same as the optimal rate, and studies take anything below maximal rate as a detriment when it is in fact a protective effect.

interesting are you saying, if you over exert yourself in the gym while lifting weights, you could potentially actually increase estrogen and prostaglandins?

S-VV

interesting are you saying, if you over exert yourself in the gym while lifting weights, you could potentially actually increase estrogen and prostaglandins?
Of course. Anything that demands from the organism more than what can be provided by normal (ie mostly OXPHOS, glycogen etc...) will activate quick but inefficient mechanisms (aerobic glycolysis, FFAs) to cope. This will lead to increased stress mediators that activate and sustain these mechanisms