Aspirin and Leaky Gut

J

j.

Some have mentioned that after trying aspirin for a few days, they feel uncomfortable and stop. Could the main reason be more intestinal permeability due to aspirin?

Milklove

That's what I believe.
Slowly increasing the dose or supplementing gelatin should help.

Suikerbuik

This can be a plausible reason. Aspirin may be helpful short term but I wouldn't use it long term, unless you have very good reasons for that. It does something with the immune system and antibody reponse..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11328262 If you still want to use it, vitamin C may reduce it's oxidative properties and thus help prevent 'disintegration'of the mucosal lining to some extent.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm not sure if this applies directly to the energy failure we are calling 'leaky gut' but I found this interesting:
Gastric adaptation to ASA enhances the mucosal resistance to injury by strong irritants probably as a result of restoration of gastric blood flow and increased cell proliferation that may result from increased mucosal expression of epithelial growth factor and it's receptors.
Source:Gut 1995;37:749-757
Forum member haidut has also posted on aspirin strengthening the gastric mucosa. I'm wondering if aspirin could help the gut be less leaky?

Milklove

Do you have any sources proving the claim about the antibody response? That would be a very good reason not to take the aspirin :/

I am wondering, why Ray Peat would recommend aspirin for people with AIDS, if that is true.

OP
J

j.

People with AIDS have twice the amount of serum PUFA as non-infected people. Aspirin restricts the release of fatty acids to the bloostream.

AIDS medicines also increase intestinal permeability. Is taking aspirin topically better to avoid more intestinal permeability?

Milklove

Blossom said:
I'm not sure if this applies directly to the energy failure we are calling 'leaky gut' but I found this interesting:
Gastric adaptation to ASA enhances the mucosal resistance to injury by strong irritants probably as a result of restoration of gastric blood flow and increased cell proliferation that may result from increased mucosal expression of epithelial growth factor and it's receptors.
Source:Gut 1995;37:749-757
Forum member haidut has also posted on aspirin strengthening the gastric mucosa. I'm wondering if aspirin could help the gut be less leaky?

I used to have a very weak gut lining. Anything with acid would give me insane stomach ache. I used the aspirin to strenghten my mucosa and it worked really well. The first 4-5 days the aspirin made the problem worse, but after a while my mucosa became stronger and now I can ingest as much acids as I want.
I believe that the gelatin I consumed helped me to get through the initial "weakening" phase.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
j. said:
People with AIDS have twice the amount of serum PUFA as normal people. Aspirin restricts the release of fatty acids to the bloostream.

AIDS medicines also increase intestinal permeability. Is taking aspirin topically better to avoid more intestinal permeability?
If aspirin strengthens the mucosa wouldn't that help with permeability? When I was first diagnosed with 'celiac disease' the research was indicating that a protein called zonulin was involved in opening the tight junctions in the intestine and increasing permeability. I'm not sure if that has been proven or not and that's about the limit of my knowledge on the topic.

OP
J

j.

I think aspirin affects permeability differently in different areas of the intestine. I'm confident some people can take it with no problem at all.

Milklove

j. said:
People with AIDS have twice the amount of serum PUFA as non-infected people. Aspirin restricts the release of fatty acids to the bloostream.

Well, there are other ways to decrease the release of PUFAs. I don't think that he would recommend aspirin, if it would indeed weaken the immune system. I was always under the impression that aspirin improves the immune system.

OP
J

j.

If PUFAs weaken the immune system, and aspirin restricts their actions, then aspirin probably strengthens the immune system.

Milklove

Blossom said:
j. said:
People with AIDS have twice the amount of serum PUFA as normal people. Aspirin restricts the release of fatty acids to the bloostream.

If aspirin strengthens the mucosa wouldn't that help with permeability? When I was first diagnosed with 'celiac disease' the research was indicating that a protein called zonulin was involved in opening the tight junctions in the intestine and increasing permeability. I'm not sure if that has been proven or not and that's about the limit of my knowledge on the topic.

I am not going to pretend that I know a lot about celiac disease, but I heard that a thyroid defiency causes celiac disease.

Milklove

j. said:
If PUFAs weaken the immune system, and aspirin restricts their actions, then aspirin problem strengthens the immune system.

Exactly. That was my reasoning, but Suikerbuik mentioned that aspirin alters the immune system.

OP
J

j.

Peat and Suikerbuik don't seem to always arrive to the same conclusions.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Milklove said:
Blossom said:
j. said:

I am not going to pretend that I know a lot about celiac disease, but I heard that a thyroid defiency causes celiac disease.
I heard that too about celiac and also that it's related to excess estrogen. I don't identify with that diagnosis the same way I used to but I still don't eat gluten. I'm healthier since discovering Peat and if I get cross-contaminated or eat something by accident (which is hard to do eating Peaty) I no longer get sick. That's positive. I personally like aspirin and use it daily as well. Everything I've read indicates it is helpful in numerous ways but I'm sure one can find contradictory views on everything. I'm just keeping it simple and sticking with Peat since he helped me figure out how to save my life. That approach has worked so far and I fully anticipate it will continue to work.

Suikerbuik

The body is so immensely complex.. Not one substance is completely good or bad. It's all matter of context and the purpose or target you have in mind. Black and white doesn't exist in biology.

In some ways aspirin is beneficial for restoring the immune balance when having to much PUFAs that result in too much prostagliadins. However I'd be reluctant to use aspirin long term. Though it may be strongly beneficial under certain circumstances. To answer you question milklove, here it is.

Herein, we tested a variety of Cox-1/Cox-2 non-selective NSAIDs, namely ibuprofen, tylenol, aspirin and naproxen and report that they blunt IgM and IgG synthesis in stimulated human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19345936

Suikerbuik

I am not sure to what extent sIgA is influenced, but see the relation between sIgA and gut permeability. sIgA plays a role in microbial balance. It is an extreme complex situation.

I don't have a simple answer. However I read somewhere that Peat only advices aspirin when coming of a high PUFA diet? Thought he wasn't using it himself anymore? Corrent me if I am wrong on this, I can't recall from somewhere.

Milklove

I definitely agree with your nothing is black and white in biology statement.

However, I took a closer look at the study you posted. They only tested the influence of aspirin in vitro. I don't think that this enough to conclude that aspirin harms the immune system. Aspirin has some very general anti-stress properties which can signal an improved immune system.

This is another in vitro study, which claims the exact opposite:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00634294

OP
J

j.

I think the oh my god this is so complex attitude can lead to paralysis in action, and the problems can become worse while feeling perplexed doing nothing.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
j. said:
I think the oh my god this is so complex attitude can lead to paralysis in action, and the problems can become worse while feeling perplexed doing nothing.
It's the beautiful simplicity of Peat's work that has always resonated with me. Science can often be a challenge for lay people but fortunately Peat has made it simplified for those with a limited science background. If I can manage to heal coming from a dogmatic medical background I think anyone motivated to apply his work can do the same. In spite of not getting everything 'right' I have still experienced a level of healing I never thought possible and I haven't done anything out of the norm in my Peat inspired approach. The process of challenging our beliefs about healing and taking action on our own behalf is healing in itself in my opinion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals