Aspirin And Kidneys

Bart1

I see a lot of mixed studies on the benefits of aspirin for kidney health. Haidut posted a trial a while ago suggesting aspirin could be beneficial for people with kidney issues.

Low-dose Aspirin As Treatment For Kidney Disease / Failure

Since I suspect I have liver/kidney issues I want to see if aspirin can help. However I'm concerned what I find about Aspirin in relation to kidney function. I don't know how to judge if a study is performed correctly, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this:

Negative:

Low-dose aspirin for prevention of cardiovascular disease in patients with chronic kidney disease. - PubMed - NCBI
Early and late effects of low-dose aspirin on renal function in elderly patients. - PubMed - NCBI
The effect of mini-dose aspirin on renal function and uric acid handling in elderly patients. - PubMed - NCBI

Positive:
Aspirin Is Beneficial in Hypertensive Patients With Chronic Kidney Disease

I don't know. But I do know that aspirin must be taken with adequate vitamin K2 MK4. Any experiment that doesn't involve that isn't very helpful. Also if you find animal studies they are better because everything is controlled. Studies on sick old people may not be very helpful because of hidden lifestyle confounders and biases of the researchers and statisticians that creep in all too easily.

Here's a decent review:
Does aspirin cause acute or chronic renal failure in experimental animals and in humans? - ScienceDirect

There are conflicting reports on the ability of aspirin as a single agent to cause acute or chronic renal failure in experimental animals. Chronic administration of aspirin alone over 18 to 68 weeks in doses of 120 to 500 mg/ kg/d has been reported to cause renal papillary necrosis in rats. However, some investigators have been unable to produce renal papillary necrosis in other species or in rats given lower divided doses comparable to therapeutic doses used in humans. In a variety of rat strains, aspirin administered as a single high dose intravenously or by oral gavage produces acute tubular necrosis of proximal tubules, rarely accompanied by renal papillary necrosis in susceptible strains. Several human studies have addressed the chronic nephrotoxicity of aspirin alone or relative risk of end-stage renal disease in association with aspirin use after correction for other analgesics. With the exception of one case control study demonstrating a low, but statistically significant risk of end-stage renal disease in association with aspirin use, all other case control studies and several prospective studies have been unable to identify a significant risk of chronic renal failure in patients using aspirin alone in therapeutic doses. In healthy adults, short-term aspirin administration in therapeutic doses has no effect on creatinine clearance, urine volume, osmolar clearance, or sodium and potassium excretion. However, in predisposed individuals with glomerulonephritis, cirrhosis, and chronic renal insufficiency, and in children with congestive heart failure, short-term aspirin use in therapeutic doses may precipitate reversible acute renal failure. Acute aspirin intoxication (>300 mg/kg) frequently causes acute renal failure and doses of 500 mg/kg may be lethal. Chronic salicylate intoxication has been reported to cause reversible or irreversible acute renal failure in association with a pseudosepsis syndrome.

OP
B

Bart1

I don't know. But I do know that aspirin must be taken with adequate vitamin K2 MK4. Any experiment that doesn't involve that isn't very helpful. Also if you find animal studies they are better because everything is controlled. Studies on sick old people may not be very helpful because of hidden lifestyle confounders and biases of the researchers and statisticians that creep in all too easily.

Here's a decent review:
Does aspirin cause acute or chronic renal failure in experimental animals and in humans? - ScienceDirect

There are conflicting reports on the ability of aspirin as a single agent to cause acute or chronic renal failure in experimental animals. Chronic administration of aspirin alone over 18 to 68 weeks in doses of 120 to 500 mg/ kg/d has been reported to cause renal papillary necrosis in rats. However, some investigators have been unable to produce renal papillary necrosis in other species or in rats given lower divided doses comparable to therapeutic doses used in humans. In a variety of rat strains, aspirin administered as a single high dose intravenously or by oral gavage produces acute tubular necrosis of proximal tubules, rarely accompanied by renal papillary necrosis in susceptible strains. Several human studies have addressed the chronic nephrotoxicity of aspirin alone or relative risk of end-stage renal disease in association with aspirin use after correction for other analgesics. With the exception of one case control study demonstrating a low, but statistically significant risk of end-stage renal disease in association with aspirin use, all other case control studies and several prospective studies have been unable to identify a significant risk of chronic renal failure in patients using aspirin alone in therapeutic doses. In healthy adults, short-term aspirin administration in therapeutic doses has no effect on creatinine clearance, urine volume, osmolar clearance, or sodium and potassium excretion. However, in predisposed individuals with glomerulonephritis, cirrhosis, and chronic renal insufficiency, and in children with congestive heart failure, short-term aspirin use in therapeutic doses may precipitate reversible acute renal failure. Acute aspirin intoxication (>300 mg/kg) frequently causes acute renal failure and doses of 500 mg/kg may be lethal. Chronic salicylate intoxication has been reported to cause reversible or irreversible acute renal failure in association with a pseudosepsis syndrome.
Thanks for your reply. Indeed K2 is an important factor in Aspirin use. And yes the studies with old people are not that great... I have been using Aspirin in higher dosages for a couple of weeks with high K2 and I noticed my nails started to club (bent downward) more. I already had nail clubbing but it became worse, it could also be my diet lacking some minerals idk.

But also this review is not that positive on aspirin and kidney health. So I think people probably should be careful with supplementation. If one want to block FFA maybe niacinamide is a safer alternative.

OP
B

Bart1

did you give it a go?
Yes I tried it briefly, two weeks I did this combo. I don't (yet) have a kidney problem that is detectable in a blood or urine test but I do have problems with mineral retention. Minocyline definitely helped with some things, but haven't done any tests

Diogo

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals