aspirin and dizziness

gretchen

Lately I've increased my aspirin dosage from 1 325 mg tablet a day (which i have taken for almost a year) to 3-4 a day. I feel dizzy, regardless of whether I am sitting, standing or laying down. The bloodflow to my brain is better which has to be good but I worry. Does anyone else experience this? What does it mean?

4peatssake

gretchen said:
Lately I've increased my aspirin dosage from 1 325 mg tablet a day (which i have taken for almost a year) to 3-4 a day. I feel dizzy, regardless of whether I am sitting, standing or laying down. The bloodflow to my brain is better which has to be good but I worry. Does anyone else experience this? What does it mean?
The first thing that comes to mind is that increasing your dosage by 3 or 4 times is a lot at once. Your body may need for you to dose higher amounts a little at a time.

I started on 1 325 mg tablet a day a couple of months ago and have just begun to add a second tab. So far so good, no issues at all. I have been worried about nosebleeds due to having chronic nosebleeds as a kid.

Gabriel

Aspirin appears to affect hair cells and the vestibular organ in some people, and it's unknown why some people are more susceptible than others. An affected vestibular organ often presents as feeling of dizziness.

Ray Peat wrote about that once (source)-
If a person has cancer, they might want to take ten or twelve aspirins per day, even though that amount can sometimes damage the hearing (salicylic acid would be a better form for people who want to take large therapeutic amounts).

Here's a case report of somebody taking 6g of aspirin who developed dizziness and vestibular problems from it. He had another medical condition though, so it can't be solely attributed to aspirin.

1,3g/day is not an awful lot, so either you are super-sensitive or it might just be an adaptive phenomenon that you are experiencing.

OP
G

gretchen

I think what happened was my blood levels went up. A few weekends ago I took 2,000 mg to see what a large dose would feel like. I'm always reading about people who take a lot.... anyway, since then I'm constantly dizzy, even on 1 a day. I would probably have to discontinue a few days to get it to resolve. That is what I might do.

Jenn

I take a lot....but I started with one per day for months, then ramped up to a whopping 2 per day. YEARS down the road, I have taken 8-12 in a day in winter. Make sure you are getting enough OJ and salt.

OP
G

gretchen

Yes, it could be years. I have reduced to 1 a day and am still SO dizzy. Yikes! 8-12 a day would probably be too much for me (based on my weight) but I definitely hope I will be able to increase over the winter to at least 2-3 a day.

OP
G

gretchen

Now I'm up to 5 a day with no side effects. Could my metabolism have changed that much in 6 weeks?

jyb

gretchen said:
Now I'm up to 5 a day with no side effects. Could my metabolism have changed that much in 6 weeks?

Don't you have the tinnitus (ear ringing) side effect if you take that high dose over more than a day or two? Basically, that's my biggest limitation with aspirin. I can ramp it up, but after a point I'll get the ear ringing, then I'm obliged to stop for a few days to avoid ear damage.