Aspirin And Children

Fame

I know all about the big Reyes disease scare in the 80s, and that it was said that you should avoid giving Aspirin to children. However I also read that no actual conclusion came about that studies linking Aspirin to Reyes disease.

Another study in Australia had children taking Tylenol who still contracted Reyes disease.

I personally take Aspirin daily with no problems whatsoever, however I am an adult. I am just wondering if anyone out there knows more? Or perhaps links to where I can find out more? I want to know if it is safe to give to children or are there better alternatives to childrens Tylenol and advil.

Thanks in advance

tara

I don't really know for certain about safety - I've read Peat's reference to Reyes syndrome and paracetamol too. But I occasionally give a low dose of aspirin to my child since he was ~8 yrs (eg 100mg) if he's suffering. Not frequent though - only if he has pain messing with sleep, which doesn't happen often. I guess giving it after a serving of jelly might mitigate some potential risks.

thegiantess

Idk. I wonder this myself for my own children--i don't have any sources for you, but I wouldn't risk it. Just steer clear of Tylenol for the sake of the liver. Dye free Motrin is the best I can do for actual pain.

tara

Idk. I wonder this myself for my own children--i don't have any sources for you, but I wouldn't risk it. Just steer clear of Tylenol for the sake of the liver. Dye free Motrin is the best I can do for actual pain.
Do you have reason to think that ibuprofen is safer than aspirin for children? I use ibuprofen quite frequently myself (not for the children) because it is more effective against my symptoms than aspirin is, but I was assuming that aspirin was probably safer (assuming one takes the easy mitigations). Speaking of which, I guess I can add a bit of glycine next time I give my child aspirin. But I think my children are older than yours, so I guess it makes sense to be more cautious with the younger ones.

thegiantess

Do you have reason to think that ibuprofen is safer than aspirin for children? I use ibuprofen quite frequently myself (not for the children) because it is more effective against my symptoms than aspirin is, but I was assuming that aspirin was probably safer (assuming one takes the easy mitigations). Speaking of which, I guess I can add a bit of glycine next time I give my child aspirin. But I think my children are older than yours, so I guess it makes sense to be more cautious with the younger ones.

I guess bc ibuprofen isn't connected to Reyes nor any other disease. I feel like ibuprofen is the only option for young children.

tara

I guess bc ibuprofen isn't connected to Reyes nor any other disease. I feel like ibuprofen is the only option for young children.

"In Summary
Commonly reported side effects of ibuprofen include: hemorrhage, vomiting, decreased hemoglobin, hypertension, eosinophilia, and anemia. Other side effects include: upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage, upper gastrointestinal tract ulcer, dizziness, and dyspepsia. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects."
Ibuprofen Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com

I use ibuprofen regularly myself, and I can imagine giving a little to my children under some circumstances, but I'm not convinced that it's any safer than aspirin.

thegiantess

Well yah every drug has some side effects that have to be reported if they ever happened to even one person. However I think Reyes is way scarier and happened to more than just one kid. I agree that ibuprofen isn't perfect. I prefer to not give them anything---but to me it's the least of evils.

OP
Fame

Fame

See what I dont understand is this, and forgive me if I am over simplifying things. How can Aspirin be okay for adults but not children? Is it not the same biology?

DaveFoster

See what I dont understand is this, and forgive me if I am over simplifying things. How can Aspirin be okay for adults but not children? Is it not the same biology?
No. Hormonal differences; same as between men and women, and between pre and post-menopausal women.

Birdie

This question regarding children and aspirin is on my mind. I know the dangers of tylenol and ibuprofen. I don't know what Ray Peat has found on the Reyes thing. Hugh's comment may be the answer... but can anybody direct me to Ray's comments? Is Reyes just an 80s scare? I'd like to think so.

Birdie

I like the jelly/gelatin advice from tara...
How does glycine help? My mind is mush...

Birdie

I don't really know for certain about safety - I've read Peat's reference to Reyes syndrome and paracetamol too. But I occasionally give a low dose of aspirin to my child since he was ~8 yrs (eg 100mg) if he's suffering. Not frequent though - only if he has pain messing with sleep, which doesn't happen often. I guess giving it after a serving of jelly might mitigate some potential risks.
@tara Hi. Can you direct me to Peat's reference to Reyes Syn?

jitsmonkey

I like the jelly/gelatin advice from tara...
How does glycine help? My mind is mush...

salicylates like aspirin use up Glycine.
Providing glycine allows the utilzation pathway to avoid running out of glycine.
This is tied to many of the "side effects" of aspirin.

I would have zero problem giving aspirin to my child but I would be providing other supportive items such as
sugar, glycine, baking soda, etc.....

I would not recommend aspirin for anyone else's child other than my own simply because context is critically important
and without being in that context its impossible for me to know yay or nay and there's clearly some contradictory info on the safety/lack of safety involved.

Much like many of the "side effects" of thyroid supplementation are related to rate limiters like fat soluble vitamins, cholesterol and or fuel.
The same appears to be true for many substances of metabolic value... aspirin appears to be one of them.

HDD

@tara Hi. Can you direct me to Peat's reference to Reyes Syn?

"In the 1980s, there was a big publicity campaign warning parents that giving aspirin to a child with the flu could cause the potentially deadly Reye syndrome. Aspirin sales declined sharply, as sales of acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) increased tremendously. But in Australia, a study of Reye syndrome cases found that six times as many of them had been using acetaminophen as had used aspirin. (Orlowski, et al., 1987) "

Aspirin, brain, and cancer

Lawrence Thomas

I just read this thread hoping to find some answers on Aspirin and kids but I'm no clearer as to whether it's dangerous or just a scare story to avoid a cheap remedy for common folk. My instincts scream it's a scare story, especially after the events of the last couple of days.

Im pretty new to Peating and metabolism study, but have made great progress over these last couple of week and now deep into Aspirin remedy.

My Dog's back legs are going, so I took him the vet a few weeks ago, and he put him on prednisolone. Which initially seemed like a miracle drug but the side effects were crazy and turned my dog into a crazed food maniac.

This was before I discovered Dr Peat, and when I did, and learnt about sugar. I learnt that prednisolone is a cortisol drug and put two and two together. I started tapering my dog off the pred and moved him towards raw meat, and sugary milk.

Then I started looking at Aspirin for dogs, and read that you can only give dogs dispersable Aspirin (not sure if this is true but didnt want to take a chance)

Yesterday, I was sought out dispersible aspirin and went to local supermarket pharmacy, but they keep dispersible aspirin behind the counter and not on the shelves with the normal Aspirin.

So I asked for a box, and was quizzed who it was for, I said my dog, and she replied: "We can't give you them without a vet's prescription". Knowing that Vet's charge top dollar for basic medicines, it immediately set my BIG PHARMA conspiracy tin foil hat into overdrive. I left without being served the Aspirin.

The today, I went to a different Pharmacy, and when asked this time I said, they were for my lad. She asked how old he was, "two" I replied. She said "who told you to give a two two-year-old Aspirin". "The internet" I replied.

"Well you shouldnt be giving childent Aspirin, you should give them parecetemol"

"Why is parecetemol safer than Aspirin?"

"There was a big study that said Aspirin is dangerous"

"What study," I asked.

"Urrrmm, I cant remember the name of it, just a big study. Anyhow I cant serve you them".

I looked at the Pharmacist and saw the cascade effect from the Top of BIG PHARMA trickle down to the well programmed agents who front their conpsiracy whithout a clue of whats going on, but act as gatekeepers. The slightest deviation from their programming and they go into malfunction.

It's a concrete jungle out there swarming with zombies.

So, I guess what I want to know is ... whats a good dose of Aspirin to give my dog, and does it have to be dispersable?

ddjd

Would be interesting to hear what haiduts point of view is on aspirin for babies and young children.

I'm interested to know if there are any benefits for the mother taking aspirin during breast feeding....

I haven't properly watched this yet but maybe some answers here

View: https://youtu.be/iwKJ7JqDD9w

Beastmode

Peat on the subject:

"Tylenol marketing was behind the aspirin thing; a study in Australia showed that more cases of Reye’s syndrome followed use of tylenol than of aspirin, and subsequent publications have doubted that such a syndrome exists."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals