Aspirin An Anti Depressant

Cameron

Experts are learning that inflammation may be a root cause of many mental disorders, including depression. So it makes sense that an anti-inflammatory agent like aspirin might help. In one recent study, rodents that were genetically predisposed to depression-like symptoms became downright cheerful when given low doses of aspirin for three weeks. Scans revealed higher levels of the mood-regulating chemical serotonin in their brains, and they started swimming more quickly when thrown into water—indicating what can only be interpreted as a real zest for their shitty lab-rat lives. Randall Stafford, a professor of medicine at the Stanford School of Medicine, says the findings reinforce the ways that inflammation-fighting habits—from exercise to taking aspirin—could have a positive impact on a wide range of health problems. Inflammation and depression have a "complex relationship," Stafford adds. "Inflammation makes depression more likely, but depression itself may lead to unfavorable lifestyle changes that consequently increase inflammation." Aspirin can help break the cycle. In other words, it may encourage you to swim when you might otherwise sink.

I'm in on it with the aspirin, but I'd be a bit more careful on the exercise. Lately exercise has been fatiguing me more than ever (but that could be because my diet is still a mess). Not really dealing with depression as of now, but it's interesting to know this/have more affirmation on the inflammatory link to many conditions/woes.

All of the people in my family who have passed almost always had some inflammatory condition, usually along with obesity and/or cancer and heart disease. One relative of mine passed from pancreatic cancer. One interesting thing I noticed was that this particular relative had gut/reflux/etc. issues their whole life that were never corrected. I believe there's a very strong link between gut/digestion issues (everything from minor stomach indigestion to really bad hiatal hernias) and vulnerability to pancreatic issues because this scenario is almost like a wake up call to me. Also, most of my relatives who passed were depressed during the time, which also confirms this anecdotally.

I believe depression as a result of inflammation/etc. is the great energy destroyer -- something that impedes the force of will/living. When people are depressed they're already bound to have bad health -- but then you combine the poorer choices in these phases and you find health just gets even worse. SSRIs and etc. seem to do little to help in many cases -- usually just make things worse or stagnant for a while if anything. With out depression and with proper energy/function, life should ideally be forever.

Last edited:
OP
Cameron

Cameron

I'm in on it with the aspirin, but I'd be a bit more careful on the exercise. Lately exercise has been fatiguing me more than ever (but that could be because my diet is still a mess). Not really dealing with depression as of now, but it's interesting to know this/have more affirmation on the inflammatory link to many conditions/woes.

All of the people in my family who have passed almost always had some inflammatory condition, usually along with obesity and/or cancer and heart disease. One relative of mine passed from pancreatic cancer. One interesting thing I noticed was that this particular relative had gut/reflux/etc. issues their whole life that were never corrected. I believe there's a very strong link between gut/digestion issues (everything from minor stomach indigestion to really bad hiatal hernias) and vulnerability to pancreatic issues because this scenario is almost like a wake up call in to me. Also, most of my relatives who passed were depressed during the time, which also confirms this anecdotally.
Yeah I think the avoidance of inflammatory foods like starch and grains and harmful chemicals is best but still in a stressful/mentally and physically inflammatory world chemicals like aspirin and magnesium are very important. Aspirin, baking soda, magnesium are very protective substances

OP
Cameron

Cameron

Lol at serotonin being the cause of aspirin's positive effect on mood.
I think it has more to do with anti inflammatory actions I’ve seen in other studies. Serotonin is toxic. Also aspirin is a known serotonin antagonist in humans

erho

I’ve read quite a lot about neuroinflammation specifically recently.
I’ve found studies saying homocysteine levels can affect inflammation in brain. I also saw a study saying people with some mental disorders have higher oxidative stress and more lipid peroxidation in the brain. I think aspirin just like Vitamin E works on a lot of people through the thinning of the blood, which can have positive effects on the cardiovascular system and hence also on the brain.

Personally I’ve tried taking up to 1 gram of aspirin a day 500mg morning and 500mg afternoon. However I find that at such doses it can make me feel a little slow and it definetly decreases my appetite, almost too much.

OP
Cameron

Cameron

I’ve read quite a lot about neuroinflammation specifically recently.
I’ve found studies saying homocysteine levels can affect inflammation in brain. I also saw a study saying people with some mental disorders have higher oxidative stress and more lipid peroxidation in the brain. I think aspirin just like Vitamin E works on a lot of people through the thinning of the blood, which can have positive effects on the cardiovascular system and hence also on the brain.

Personally I’ve tried taking up to 1 gram of aspirin a day 500mg morning and 500mg afternoon. However I find that at such doses it can make me feel a little slow and it definetly decreases my appetite, almost too much.
I respond well with 1 or 2 325mg gericare tablets

LeeLemonoil

It has established, published effects like decreasing cortisol (number 1 cause of affective disorders), increasing test, increasing tyrosine hydroxilase = pro-dopamine ... and likely, decreasing inflammatio will hell too... but they claim the anti-depressive Action of Aspirin is due to sero?

**** me, I’m luckily not beset by mood disorders but taking **** feels so distinctly uplifting, pro-dopamine and cortisol lowering. **** serotonin really

LeeLemonoil

While I'd say I have no particular problems with anxiety or mood-related issues, I have realized over the years of taking Aspirin as an occassional painkiller, that it almost always has good effects mentally. Makes me calm and assertive, self-assured and balanced - I'd say even "happier". Feels like a cortisol reduction acutely and probably something to do with the mechanisms already mentionend in this thread and acute reduction of neuro-inflammation and modulation of neurosteroids.

And I have realiued that taking about 300-600mg of Aspirin before drinking on partys and stuff makes me almost resistant to alcohols more negative effects like disinhibition, sloppiness and so forth .. Great stuff Aspirin, at least as an occassional intervention (like 1 time a week) can't tell about more chronic/habitual use

OP
Cameron

Cameron

I’ll look more at the serotonin stid
It has established, published effects like decreasing cortisol (number 1 cause of affective disorders), increasing test, increasing tyrosine hydroxilase = pro-dopamine ... and likely, decreasing inflammatio will hell too... but they claim the anti-depressive Action of Aspirin is due to sero?

**** me, I’m luckily not beset by mood disorders but taking **** feels so distinctly uplifting, pro-dopamine and cortisol lowering. **** serotonin really[/QUOTE I’ll look more at the serotonin studies but at the end of the day it’s effect on serotonin is mistaken. Even a slight increase in serotonin isn’t what’s responsible for mood effects. Like methylene blue dose depends on serotonin increase but serotonin is not the driver of benefiting effects like decreased cortisol or inflammation

rei

I suspect the error is serotonin receptor density going up being reported as increased serotonin. But link is 404 so cannot check.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals