Aspirin Alternatives?

OP
P

PeatThemAll

Aspirin intake impact on uric acid levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10643705

Abstract

Background:
Aspirin is commonly used by elderly patients.
In previous studies we found transient changes in renal function
induced by low doses of aspirin.

Objectives:
To investigate the mechanisms of these effects.

Methods:
The study group included 106 long-term care stable
geriatric inpatients. Diet and drugs were kept stable. The study lasted
5 weeks; during the first 2 weeks 100 mg aspirin was administered
once a day. Clinical and laboratory follow-up was performed at
baseline and weekly for the next 3 weeks. The glomerular filtration
rate was estimated by creatinine clearance measured in 24 hour
urine and serum creatinine, and by the Cockcroft-Gault formula
(C-G) equation. Uric acid clearance was determined from serum
concentrations and 24 hour excretion of uric acid. Patients with
serum creatinine > 1.5 mg/dl were not included.

Results:
After 2 weeks on low dose aspirin, measured creatinine
and uric acid clearances decreased significantly compared with
the initial values in 70% and 62% of the patients, respectively, with
mean decreases of 19% and 17%, respectively (
P
< 0.001). Blood
urea nitrogen increased by 17% while serum creatinine and uric
acid concentrations increased by 4% (
P
< 0.05 for all). The C-G
values decreased by 3% (
P
< 0.05). After withdrawal of aspirin all
parameters improved. However, 67% of the patients remained with
some impairment in their measured Ccr, compared to baseline.
Patients who reacted adversely to low dose aspirin had significantly
better pre-study renal function (Ccr), lower hemoglobin and lower
levels of serum albumin.

Conclusions:

Short-term low dose aspirin affected renal tubular
creatinine and uric acid transport in the elderly, which may result
in a prolonged or permanent deterioration of the renal function. It
is suggested that renal functions be monitored even with the use
of low dose aspirin in elderly patients

Full text (PDF) at: IMAJ - Renal Effects of Low Dose Aspirin in Elderly Patients

Attachments

• 24604.pdf
    236.6 KB · Views: 98

zanolachino

Has any tinnitus sufferer tested what Haidut suggests -- mixing aspirin with baking soda in order to mitigate ototoxicity? Did it work? Did any of the other ideas in this thread work for anyone?

More generally, by what mechanism are salicylates ototoxic, anyway?

In my case, aspirin seems to bring systemic benefits, but there is no question that it also exacerbates my tinnitus, even at low dosages.

I read the thread about aspirin and gentamicin but am not sure what to make of it.

It was suggested here that aspirin only harms hearing in the context of excess PUFA, but I have trouble buying that, as I have been avoiding PUFA for over five years.

I am already taking K2 (MK-4), 15mg twice daily, as well as the other things recommended above (vitamin E, niacinamide, ample collagen).

zanolachino

Answering my own question a little, I just stumbled upon this thread: Negative effects of aspirin may be due to glycine depletion.

Like most of Haidut's ideas, this is intriguing. Unfortunately, I can't see testing it as I have discovered many times over that I respond very poorly to supplemental glycine -- at least as a free-form amino acid. (I tolerate beef tendon just fine. I even replaced all muscle meat with beef tendon for a couple of months, which caused no problems -- but neither were there any magical effects.)

I've mentioned that taurine, too, in doses over 500mg or 1g, seems to increase, rather than decrease, my nervous system agitation. All of this is strange, as GABA agonists are generally exactly what I need. And I'd like to take advantage of taurine's action on the liver.

The only thing I know for sure is that my glutamate system is utterly deranged. Forget MSG, even things like peas and tomatoes set my brain on fire. Processed gelatin, such as Great Lakes, is extremely excitotoxic for me.

The grail I seek is something that reliably cools the fire. Magnesium helps a little, phenibut helps a little, alcohol helps a lot. If only there were something that worked like alcohol without the obvious downsides. A topic for another thread.

milk_lover

zanolachino said:
Answering my own question a little, I just stumbled upon this thread: Negative effects of aspirin may be due to glycine depletion
I can attest to this. Based on my 2 months now drinking of 600 ml coffee latte (2 tablespoon of instant coffee) heavy on the sugar and one tablespoon of regular gelatin, I can take two 500mg pills of Aspirin with the coffee mug. However, it took me time to increase the dosage. The baking soda thing did not work for me and it didn't feel good, the taste of baking soda is disgusting as hell and not practical if you're not at home. When I am outside, I can order coffee late or even red bull and take aspirin with them. Taurine in red bull as far as I know acts similar to glycine but I am not sure.. it just feels right to me :D Experimentation is the way around this until you find what works for you.

Peata

zanolachino said:
The only thing I know for sure is that my glutamate system is utterly deranged. Forget MSG, even things like peas and tomatoes set my brain on fire. Processed gelatin, such as Great Lakes, is extremely excitotoxic for me.

The grail I seek is something that reliably cools the fire. Magnesium helps a little, phenibut helps a little, alcohol helps a lot. If only there were something that worked like alcohol without the obvious downsides. A topic for another thread.

Read about Theanine.

zanolachino

Thank you, milk_lover. With all the beef tendon I eat, I find it hard to believe that I am glycine deficient. Yet even 67.5mg of aspirin makes my tinnitus scream.

Thank you, Peata. I do take theanine, anywhere from 200 to 400mg per day, and have been doing so for a few years. No question, it helps a little -- but not a lot. I suppose I could experiment with a much higher dosage, but theanine is expensive, and everything I've read indicates that higher dosages have rapidly diminishing returns.

Dayman

thyme and rosemary both warm me up like aspirin. No where near as strong but an alternative nontheless