Asking For A Friend

Jsaute21

My close friend is experiencing unrelenting anxiety and persistent depression. She had weight loss surgery over a year ago, and though she looks good (and has kept the weight off - im talking from 320 LBS to 140 LBS), but remains in poor health based on symptoms & overall mood. She was very obese for a long time, lost about 100 LBS, and then gained most of it back. This led her to get the surgery, in which she has managed to easily keep the weight off. Her surgeon tells her to drink 60 OZ of water a day, which i believe to be ludacris and probably a large portion of why she feels so bad. Her doctors have told her that this surgery can make it hard for the patient to assimilate sugars/carbs and that eating a protein/fat diet is optimal. I assume the body probably has a harder time digesting the protein/fats than easy to digest sugars & carbs, but what do i know!

I don't want to be a one size fits all guy, but i have obviously talked to her about RP & how valuable his approaches can be for raising metabolism & improving low blood sugar symptoms. When she called me the other day to tell me about how bad she felt, she mentioned poor liver glycogen storage, and just overall feeling not well. Any specific advice regarding this unique situation?

Drareg

Her entire stream of conciousness and reality was flowing through a much different structure before the operation,impressive within a few hours that amount of fat is gone so the tissues are responding differently all over the body,it's possibly a kind of mild shock she is in,her perceptions are all over the place because of this.

In saying that if the excess fat was down regulating metabolism it could be speeding up since instant fat removal,other organs probably still,have fat relevant to low metabolic state,this could be uncomfortable also,possibly dangerous.
:2cents:

Unless she's willing to take your advice over her surgeon's, there's not much you can do. Maybe just make it clear that all that water isn't necessary if she's not thirsty, and that sugar/carbs won't kill her.

milk_lover

I had a friend who went under a similar surgery and he lost a lot of weight in a span of few months. He appears low energy and many times moody. He is so anti sugar anti milk. No matter what I tell him about Ray Peat, he thinks I am lunatic. So I decided not to talk about diet and just live by example. He sees me almost always smiling and have good positive energy and the reason could be just simple sugary drink or reduced trytophan consumption. Some people are not easily convinced unless they see something different about you.