Ascorbic Acid as an antidote to balding?

reality

Besides all the benefits of ascorbic acid that could counter a lot of problems with hair loss (cortisol, CVD, etc), one of ascorbic acid's metabolites is L threonate, which is a potent Dkk1 inhibitor and implicated in balding

In a previous study, we recently claimed that dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-inducible dickkopf-1 (DKK-1) expression is one of the key factors involved in androgen-potentiated balding. We also demonstrated that L-ascorbic acid 2-phosphate (Asc 2-P) represses DHT-induced DKK-1 expression in cultured dermal papilla cells (DPCs). Here, we investigated whether or not L-threonate could attenuate DHT-induced DKK-1 expression. We observed via RT-PCR analysis and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay that DHT-induced DKK-1 expression was attenuated in the presence of L-threonate. We also found that DHT-induced activation of DKK-1 promoter activity was significantly repressed by L-threonate. Moreover, a co-culture system featuring outer root sheath (ORS) keratinocytes and DPCs showed that DHT inhibited the growth of ORS cells, which was then significantly reversed by L-threonate. Collectively, these results indicate that L-threonate inhibited DKK-1 expression in DPCs and therefore is a good treatment for the prevention of androgen-driven balding.

thoughts on this?

It's easy enough to try.

Personally I can't handle high dose ascorbic acid (above 1 g) or else I get ball ache, like with most antioxidants.
I tried topical ascorbic, similar thing happens. Threonate gives me nerve pain in my legs.

Tianeptine can also inhibit DKK-1, but I don't know if you can use a safe dose that won't get you addicted. The usual one (3x 12.5 mg) probably isn't enough. Haven't tried that topically.

OP
R

reality

It's easy enough to try.

Personally I can't handle high dose ascorbic acid (above 1 g) or else I get ball ache, like with most antioxidants.
I tried topical ascorbic, similar thing happens. Threonate gives me nerve pain in my legs.

Tianeptine can also inhibit DKK-1, but I don't know if you can use a safe dose that won't get you addicted. The usual one (3x 12.5 mg) probably isn't enough. Haven't tried that topically.
Interesting

I’ve been taking 2-4g a day recently and it definitely improves my mood so I’m sticking with it

I have used tianeptine years ago and it was a good antidepressant but I’m not going down that route again

Interesting

I’ve been taking 2-4g a day recently and it definitely improves my mood so I’m sticking with it

I have used tianeptine years ago and it was a good antidepressant but I’m not going down that route again

2-4g of Vitamin C?

At that dose I think you should be seeing some kind of positive effect on your hair. At the very least slowed down hair loss.

OP
R

reality

2-4g of Vitamin C?

At that dose I think you should be seeing some kind of positive effect on your hair. At the very least slowed down hair loss.
Yeah pure ascorbic acid (quali c). It has huge amount of benefits from what I’ve researched, so I’m hoping the dkk1 inhibition could be helpful

my hair is still in good condition but I deffo have mpb so I’m looking to halt it as much as possible

Dr. B

It's easy enough to try.

which other antioxidants, why do they cause you ball ache?
threonate like the magnesium threonate?

Besides all the benefits of ascorbic acid that could counter a lot of problems with hair loss (cortisol, CVD, etc), one of ascorbic acid's metabolites is L threonate, which is a potent Dkk1 inhibitor and implicated in balding

thoughts on this?

mate whats the results so far? I used to use vitamin C for many years, 1g or 1.5g a day. whats been your experience.
any allergic symptoms from the Quali C?
does it need to be supplemental C or is 16oz orange juice a day enough?
it apparently depletes copper, increases iron absorption, and has other issues so im unsure of supplementing it...

i have heard vitamin C drastically increases collagen and carnitine synthesis. carnitine isnt Peaty, but does it have some pro hair effects or something? the carnitine effect may be useful for people on low meat diets...