Ascorbate (Vitmamin C) And Heavy Metal Detoxification By Dr Russell Jaffe

Ascorbate (Vitmamin C) and Heavy Metal Detoxification by Dr Russell Jaffe
One gram of ascorbate will remove 10 micrograms of toxic metal.
Most in US are exposed to 20 micrograms heavy metal per day.
Ascorbate is synergistic with Magnesium & Zinc.
Selenomethionine is able to complex directly with toxic metals.
I don't know about removing them, but I can tell you, from experience, that vitamin C, whether from fruit of suppliments, surely gets them circulating!

OP
Grapelander

Grapelander

I don't know about removing them, but I can tell you, from experience, that vitamin C, whether from fruit of suppliments, surely gets them circulating!
Ray Peat "Nutrition for Women" 1993 (page 80/81):
One of the oldest known functions of vitamin C is its role (hydroxylation) in the synthesis of collagen for connective tissue. At high concentrations, it can also depolymerize (make more soluble) the collagen, reversing one of the important features of the aging process. A recent study (J. Clln Nutr. summer. 1974) shows that even inside the cells of membranes structural integrity is improved (electron microscopic evidence in guinea pigs) by very high doses. including the large doses suggested by Linus Pauling. Since infections have to enter through membranes. structural integrity would seem likely to improve resistance. Tyrosine metabolism. which is involved in brain function, is sensitive to vitamin C: also. vitamin C maintains tissue adrenaline levels. possibly by inhibiting its oxidation, and adrenaline is necessary for the chalones to exert their function of inhibiting cell division . (Pauling proposed a role for vitamin C in controlling cell division in cancer. but the mechanism he chose probably wasn't the correct one: there may be a variety of mechanisms. including for example the free radical processes suggested by W.F. Koch and A. Szent-Gyorgyi.)
Hans Selye has demonstrated that vitamin C can prevent heavy metal (e.g., mercury) toxicity: it reduces the metal to a less toxic form , and also helps solubilize and remove it. White blood cells have an extremely high affinity for vitamin C. and can' t function properly without an adequate amount: because of this great affinity, an excess of white cells, as in leukemia, apparently robs other tissues of vitamin C and produces hemorrhages and bruises. Some people oppose the idea that nutrition can prevent or cure diseases, Many strange warnings about vitamin C have appeared in the newspapers.

Ray Peat "Generative Energy" 1994 (page 88):
Vitamin C in excess can contribute to the toxicity of iron, but in the right amount, vitamin C is metabolically linked with vitamin E in protecting against the toxic free radicals produced by iron.

Ray Peat "Nutrition for Women" 1993 (page 80/81):
One of the oldest known functions of vitamin C is its role (hydroxylation) in the synthesis of collagen for connective tissue. At high concentrations, it can also depolymerize (make more soluble) the collagen, reversing one of the important features of the aging process. A recent study (J. Clln Nutr. summer. 1974) shows that even inside the cells of membranes structural integrity is improved (electron microscopic evidence in guinea pigs) by very high doses. including the large doses suggested by Linus Pauling. Since infections have to enter through membranes. structural integrity would seem likely to improve resistance. Tyrosine metabolism. which is involved in brain function, is sensitive to vitamin C: also. vitamin C maintains tissue adrenaline levels. possibly by inhibiting its oxidation, and adrenaline is necessary for the chalones to exert their function of inhibiting cell division . (Pauling proposed a role for vitamin C in controlling cell division in cancer. but the mechanism he chose probably wasn't the correct one: there may be a variety of mechanisms. including for example the free radical processes suggested by W.F. Koch and A. Szent-Gyorgyi.)
Hans Selye has demonstrated that vitamin C can prevent heavy metal (e.g., mercury) toxicity: it reduces the metal to a less toxic form , and also helps solubilize and remove it. White blood cells have an extremely high affinity for vitamin C. and can' t function properly without an adequate amount: because of this great affinity, an excess of white cells, as in leukemia, apparently robs other tissues of vitamin C and produces hemorrhages and bruises. Some people oppose the idea that nutrition can prevent or cure diseases, Many strange warnings about vitamin C have appeared in the newspapers.

Ray Peat "Generative Energy" 1994 (page 88):
Vitamin C in excess can contribute to the toxicity of iron, but in the right amount, vitamin C is metabolically linked with vitamin E in protecting against the toxic free radicals produced by iron.
I appreciate you posting that Grapelander! It is a bit confusing since I have read much, from Ray Peat and mainstream media, about vitamin C INCREASING iron absorption, as much as 3 times more than without. I wonder if other metals might reacted differently and have the opposite effect? I know that whenever I have vitamin C at night my arm goes dead at night. So I just don't know what to think. It seems that getting my C earlier in the day gives my body a chance to let them settle back down before sleep. ?

OP
Grapelander

Grapelander

I appreciate you posting that Grapelander! It is a bit confusing since I have read much, from Ray Peat and mainstream media, about vitamin C INCREASING iron absorption, as much as 3 times more than without. I wonder if other metals might reacted differently and have the opposite effect? I know that whenever I have vitamin C at night my arm goes dead at night. So I just don't know what to think. It seems that getting my C earlier in the day gives my body a chance to let them settle back down before sleep. ?
Hey R&R: I do not think Peat is anti-Vitamin C; he does believe the synthetic has heavy metal poisoning (lead & corn starch).
He also mentions that the oxidant/anti-oxidant ratio is a very tight system in the body. The dose he used in the '50's was 50 mg.
I am also nervous to supplement - it looks like Dan at Toxinless has attempted to work this out.
At least milk and meat have Dehydroascorbic acid which can cross blood-brain barrier: Dehydroascorbic acid, a blood–brain barrier transportable form of vitamin C, mediates potent cerebroprotection in experimental stroke.
Pubchem: In the body, both dehydroascorbic acid and ascorbic acid have similar biological activity as antivirals but dehydroascorbic acid also has neuroprotective effects.

Hey R&R: I do not think Peat is anti-Vitamin C; he does believe the synthetic has heavy metal poisoning (lead & corn starch).
He also mentions that the oxidant/anti-oxidant ratio is a very tight system in the body. The dose he used in the '50's was 50 mg.
I am also nervous to supplement - it looks like Dan at Toxinless has attempted to work this out.
At least milk and meat have Dehydroascorbic acid which can cross blood-brain barrier: Dehydroascorbic acid, a blood–brain barrier transportable form of vitamin C, mediates potent cerebroprotection in experimental stroke.
Pubchem: In the body, both dehydroascorbic acid and ascorbic acid have similar biological activity as antivirals but dehydroascorbic acid also has neuroprotective effects.

Thank you for responding Grapelander! Yeah Ray is pro-vitamin C, but just not suppliments. Nevertheless I have tried when fruit isn't available, feeling it is better than nothing. I do alright with a small dose early in the day, but if I try a second day my arm goes numb at night. Here is the brand I am using. I use about a quarter of it's recommendation. You think I should have even less or switch to dehydroascorbic? That is interesting that meat and milk have vitamin C, but wouldn't the milk pasturization kill it and cooking the meat?

Attachments

• 20210622_101917.jpg
    20210622_101917.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210622_101924.jpg
    20210622_101924.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 7