As The World Turns And Becomes More Peaty

LUH 3417

But over the years, mainstream medical studies at respected institutions have repeatedly shown that many of the foods and behaviors we’ve been warned to avoid all our lives may not really harm us, and when consumed or engaged in properly, they may actually be beneficial. The list of good vices includes beverages like coffee, which research suggests can lower the risk of Type 2 diabetes and possibly protect from Alzheimer’s disease and dementia; foods like chocolate and whole-milk raw cheese; lifestyle choices like sleeping late and laughing a lot; and downright shocking practices like going to the doctor less, taking fewer medications, and avoiding many prescribed but often unnecessary medical procedures.

These So-Called Vices Are Good for Your Health

lampofred

Sleeping late is good for health? Looks like I'm gonna be immortal...

rei

Sleeping enough is good for health. So don't force yourself up in the morning. But if you sleep 10 hours you know something is seriously wrong and you should do something.

Last edited:
OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

I interpreted sleeping late as sleeping til you naturally wake. I would assume most people wake up very early (5-6am) to make it to work at 8-9am.

Cirion

The ideal amount of sleep is however long you need to sleep to wake up with correct temperatures and pulses (Ideally, 98.6F and 85 BPM). However, there's also a strong correlation to what you ate as well, and no amount of sleep time manipulation can get a proper waking temperature and pulse if diet is not in order. And yeah, you should NEVER wake up to an alarm.

lampofred

Oh I thought sleeping late meant going to bed late... Nvm, looks like immortality is not in the cards for me anymore...

Sleeping enough is good for health. So don't force yourself up in the morning. But if you sleep 10 hours you know something is seriously wrong and you should do something.

What do you suggest for someone having 11+ hours of non-restorative sleep daily?

Cirion

What do you suggest for someone having 11+ hours of non-restorative sleep daily?

Not rei, but I think I can chime in because I have a lot of experience with non-restorative sleep and very close to fixing it, I think. The short answer is non-restorative sleep is caused by hypothyroidism/poor metabolism. The somewhat longer answer, and how to fix it:

- Avoid endotoxin, which means avoid anything that causes an endotoxic response. Starch is a common offender. As are most processed foods.
- Avoid PUFA
- Eat ample carbohydrates, focusing on sugars. Running out of glucose during the night is problematic. I am willing to bet most people don't eat enough carbs, even on these forums. It's the primary lever for increasing your metabolism, so if your metabolism isn't running fast enough, generally means you need more carbs until it is.
- Avoid tryptophan
- Don't eat too much protein, especially at night, if possible, or at least not before bed. Protein can powerfully lower blood sugar, especially if it is tryptophan heavy, and lowering blood sugar at night is the last thing you want or need.
- Avoid excess fats (randle cycle), even SFA.
- Above everything else, focus on getting and keeping high temp and pulses at all times (98.6F+ temps and 85 BPM pulse), especially waking temps and pulses.

Jib

I interpreted sleeping late as sleeping til you naturally wake. I would assume most people wake up very early (5-6am) to make it to work at 8-9am.

So much judgment about sleep too. Like people are bad if they wake up late. Ridiculous!

My health took a major, major blow from working a manual labor job for 5 years. Had to wake up at 5AM every day to an alarm. Felt absolutely horrible all the time and is also where the beer belly came from. I was underweight when I started the job.

Personal judgments of people are the worst. I get constantly bothered because I eat fruit and animal protein. Like people feel the need to tell me all my problems are from having too much sugar or salt, etc.

Hopefully this all goes more mainstream! It truly sucks to endure such stupidity and you can't even argue with people like this because their minds are made up that they know everything.

I'm typing this as I lay in bed. Not ready to get up yet ;) Having the luxury to do this is one of the main things helping my health for now.

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

So much judgment about sleep too. Like people are bad if they wake up late. Ridiculous!

My health took a major, major blow from working a manual labor job for 5 years. Had to wake up at 5AM every day to an alarm. Felt absolutely horrible all the time and is also where the beer belly came from. I was underweight when I started the job.

Personal judgments of people are the worst. I get constantly bothered because I eat fruit and animal protein. Like people feel the need to tell me all my problems are from having too much sugar or salt, etc.

Hopefully this all goes more mainstream! It truly sucks to endure such stupidity and you can't even argue with people like this because their minds are made up that they know everything.

I'm typing this as I lay in bed. Not ready to get up yet ;) Having the luxury to do this is one of the main things helping my health for now.
I think I became hypothyroid in high school. I remember having to wake up at 6am. I would eat a big breakfast but we weren’t allowed to have lunch until 11am. I remember falling asleep in the class before lunch nearly every day. I would feel starved and could not wait to eat something. I grew up in a household where sugar and sweets were so bad for you. My mom used to make me take fish oil pills because she followed the work of dr perricone. It’s appaling how damanging health advice can be. Luckily I ate a lot of eggs and seafood through this time too, so I was able to salvage my deteriorating metabolism in some ways, but looking back at myself as a 13 or 14 year old I had less energy than an average senior citizen.

Cirion

I would actually argue that sleep is the most important parameter of ALL. This is one reason I want to escape the 9-5 life asap. Why do I say this? Well, I've come to find that while eating a poor diet is problematic, and often increases torpor, if you allow yourself to sleep through this torpor, eventually you'll wake up refreshed but often-times the amount of sleep required in this scenario exceeds how much an office monkey will be able to get. This is why on weekends I can virtually always wake up with 98.4+F body temps because I just allow myself to sleep as long as I darn well please, even if its 12 hrs.

Jib

I think I became hypothyroid in high school. I remember having to wake up at 6am. I would eat a big breakfast but we weren’t allowed to have lunch until 11am. I remember falling asleep in the class before lunch nearly every day. I would feel starved and could not wait to eat something. I grew up in a household where sugar and sweets were so bad for you. My mom used to make me take fish oil pills because she followed the work of dr perricone. It’s appaling how damanging health advice can be. Luckily I ate a lot of eggs and seafood through this time too, so I was able to salvage my deteriorating metabolism in some ways, but looking back at myself as a 13 or 14 year old I had less energy than an average senior citizen.

I forgot about high school. Awful. I was on Zyprexa and Lexapro, which made everything 100x worse, but I never felt well rested, ever. Would feel nauseous in the mornings too, so wouldn't eat most days until lunch.

Zyprexa really did a number on me. But the waking up early on its own is awful. There's a heavy cultural prejudice around waking up late being "lazy" and meaning someone is a bad person. Completely ignorant of biology, and attaching heavy value judgments around things as stupid as what a person eats and when they wake up.

Perhaps for many people this is the case. Disrupting sleep on a daily basis and having a poor diet on top of that probably does a number on everyone. I can't imagine a majority of school students feeling well-rested and perhaps the only reason they can get away with all the abuse is because of their young age. But it takes a toll in the long term. I remember hating swimming, and had that first period. Not only waking up way too early and being groggy and feeling sick, but then having to jump into a cold pool and do intense exercise on top of that.

I am glad that's over!

milkboi

I would actually argue that sleep is the most important parameter of ALL. This is one reason I want to escape the 9-5 life asap. Why do I say this? Well, I've come to find that while eating a poor diet is problematic, and often increases torpor, if you allow yourself to sleep through this torpor, eventually you'll wake up refreshed but often-times the amount of sleep required in this scenario exceeds how much an office monkey will be able to get. This is why on weekends I can virtually always wake up with 98.4+F body temps because I just allow myself to sleep as long as I darn well please, even if its 12 hrs.

Do you fast through the whole 12 hours of sleep? Or do you eat when (/if) waking up?

Jib

Yep. I haven't had to get up to an alarm in quite a while, but every time I did I felt absolutely awful. That 5 years at that manual labor job was the worst. Waking up naturally, I would always feel way more energized.

I'm in a weird place now. I'm pretty severely depressed and despite sleeping as much as I want, I don't feel great when waking up, and oftentimes I'll wake up, but just lay in bed and read for an hour or so before actually getting up. Just feel so exhausted. I do remember times in my life a while back where I could wake up and feel ready to go right away, but it's been a while since then. Generally I tend to do better in the summer months, so my depressive state recently is odd. Usually in the winter it's very bad and gets better in summer, but here we are.

Sleep deprivation is the name of the game for 99% of people in modern society. I remember reading an essay called "The Tyranny of the Clock," George Woodcock I think? We read that in high school many years ago, funnily enough. But it's very true. Everything being dictated by the "clock" at the complete expense of our physiology.

The worst part, or one of them, at my old job, was the lack of windows. Wake up at 5 and get to work, and spend all day in fluorescent lighting with no real sunlight to be seen anywhere, go home when it's dark outside. That absolutely sucked. That may have been worse for my health than anything else. Even something as simple as sunlight is completely neglected most of the time.

The irony is once in a blue moon someone would open a door and let sunlight in, and it would instantly energize me and I'd be happier and more productive.

Lots of plane crashes are the result of aviators being infamously sleep deprived and overworked. You'd think employers would learn by now, but nope.

Cirion

Do you fast through the whole 12 hours of sleep? Or do you eat when (/if) waking up?

I tend to eat something if the time of sleeping is really long, at least if I feel hungry. If I just feel like a zombie, I just go back to bed instead generally.

Yeah @Jib the alarm clock is the worst thing humanity has ever invented in terms of our health. I'm so ready to retire and live life on my own terms. I'm so over the 9-5 lifestyle. Hopefully I get lucky and bitcoin makes me a millionaire LOL then I can peace out the office life

I'm in a weird place now. I'm pretty severely depressed and despite sleeping as much as I want, I don't feel great when waking up, and oftentimes I'll wake up, but just lay in bed and read for an hour or so before actually getting up. Just feel so exhausted. I do remember times in my life a while back where I could wake up and feel ready to go right away, but it's been a while since then. Generally I tend to do better in the summer months, so my depressive state recently is odd. Usually in the winter it's very bad and gets better in summer, but here we are.
Sounds like hypersomnia and it is a symptom of depression.

Sleeping to much or too little are symptoms of depression and other health issues, vise versa as well. Thats why high-quality restorative sleep paired with propper circadian timings are a good sign of a health.

Didn't Peat state that one doesn't necessary need much "asleep sleep" if they are resting well when awake (awake dreaming maybe)? For example if the "need to dream" is the argument for requiring sleep, what about being able to kind of "dream" the same way while awake instead, on and off perhaps at least? Would that maybe necessitate said "need" for sleep if we could regain whatever benefits come to those (majority I presume) sleeping and dreaming but while being awake and dreaming? Considering the correlation of metabolic function to sleep variances I'd say that maybe some do better with less sleep since they actually rest more while awake in a sense, whereas some sleep endlessly and never feel much better (the opposite end of the spectrum -- unable to even dream with much depth while sleeping long times). I don't mean people who sleep little and force themselves up but feel bad/subpar, but those who can sleep little compared to average and feel refreshed/great for the most part through the entirety of their days/nights/etc. I guess maybe in the modern world we are "programmed" to maybe dream awake less without proper drugs/serotonin altering/etc.?

I know at times when I was a kid I felt some touches of that "awake dreaming" feeling where it's like everything is magical somehow -- "through the small kid's eyes" -- even felt it at times as an adult too, but much rarer. Maybe it's hard to put your finger on it/this feeling since it is highly individual and subject to one's sense of self/body awareness/etc., but there does seem to be some real-world experience with Peat's reasoning behind awake vs. asleep dreaming along with metabolism, health, mood, etc. as I've noticed differences myself. Basically it's a hard stone to turn since many people can have trouble discerning any sense beyond their basic sensory systems/immediate stimuli, let alone different subtleties of their physiological workings/states of sense from top to bottom, including their deepest feelings and senses around & within them.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals