Arthritis

marsaday

I posted about my left knee being a problem a while back. Since then i have seen the doctor again because the knee has reacted badly to exercise.

So it looks like the issue is basic arthritis. Not serious, but a pain in the butt. Now that i have been told about this i have realised the pains i have been having in my elbows and fingers is also probably arthritis. This has been going on since 2013 and i am now 44 y/o. I also work physically and play sport.

I also have an under active thyroid and take T4 for it (and a little T3).

When i went back to the doc they asked if i wanted to trial ibuprofen (pain relief over the counter medication). I went on a trial for 5 days taking 400mcg 3 x day. Well after the first 400mcg the pain in the knee went away. What this trial taught me is that i can use ibuprofen to take the pain and inflammation away and so i am now using it on the days i play sport.

I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone know about the connection between arthritis and under active thyroid ?

2) What remedies other than ibuprofen do people use to control inflammation and pain ?

3) Have any thyroid patients switched from T4/T3 to natural thyroid ? I have heard this can be better for joint pains.

Health wise i am doing well and also use 2 drops of progesterone.

T

tobieagle

Ray has mentioned that CO2 helped people with Arthritis.
Put your leg in a big plastic bag and fill it up with pure CO2, seal it and leave your leg in it for a couple of hours.

honeybee

Niacinamide helps arthritis.

OP
M

marsaday

The co2 thing sounds interesting, but where do you buy co2? Are you likely to see a result after one go with the bag ? Anyone actually tried this?

I have some niacinamide and have stopped using it, but yesterday i took one tablet in the afternoon and today my leg feels much improved. It would be amazing if this was the cause. I have also upped my T4 from 125 to 150 and am 4 days into the increase. Maybe this is kicking in. I will continue with the niacinamide and see if the knee improves generally.

Is there a better time to take this vitamin ? I take my T4 and vit D at bedtime.

NathanK

In the old days they used pregnenolone to treat the symptoms of arthritis. It worked similar to cortisone: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NE ... 3012440903

Might try taking 500mg-1g of MSM for a few days. Its a metabolite of DMSO. It does wonders for inflammation. I just wouldnt take it every day and def no longer than a week at a time. Personally, it eliminated a LOT of problems I was having with elbow tendonitis and what my doc thought to be arthritis in my index fingers-- on the first dose!

tara

Niacinamide is probably best taken in small amounts several times a day - I think all the B vits have a fairly short half-life before you pee out the surplus. With or after food if you are prone to running out of glycogen. That would be great i it makes a difference.

I guess you are eating collagen/gelatin?

Consider applying some of your progesterone topically at the affected joints with olive oil?

Getting sunshine on as much of you as possible regularly?

I do not have arthritis. I've tried CO2 in a bag just a few times, mostly just for minor hand and wrist hurts, but also up to the neck for systemic treatment. What you should notice quickly is warm, red skin from the increased circulation and oxygen supply. I don't know if you'd notice improvement in the condition after one try. I imagine increased circulation and oxygen would be helpful, especially in conjunction with nutrition.

I don't know what's available where you are, but you need a suitable tank to contain it at pressure. Some people have used paintball canisters for smaller amounts. I got a larger tank (holds 3kg CO2at pressure). They have to be handled with care because of the pressure. You need to ebe able to control the release through a hose into the plastic bagI've got a hand operated valve that works OK. You can get more expensive regulators, but probbly not necessary for this use. If you let it out too fast, you get ice round the outlet, and could freeze your hand to the metal - I put some insulation round the top of mine. You want to squeeze out as much air as possible before filling, so you get as high a concentration as possible of CO2.

I gather that there are a few places that do dry CO2 baths commercially, but maybe not many (none where I am).

OP
M

marsaday

A holiday in czech would be great. Love the idea of a co2 wrap bath.

I have some pregnenalone and may try it again. I do use progesterone and this works really well for me. What is DMSO ?

Ibuprofen is the drug of choice for the GP's. Does aspirin do the same things as ibuprofen then ? I will need to read up on the two tablets.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals