narouz

Re: Arthritis patients have aggressive bacteria in their gut

What'll kill 'em?
The bacteria I mean.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

A robust metabolism. But of course if we had that we wouldn't have got into that situation. :lol:

OP
S

I still think the carrot and milk ought to make the right stuff grow... Who knows, they might need something stronger!

Suikerbuik

... ought to make the right stuff grow
What growth signals from food would distinguish between right and not right? The balance in microbiome itself can induce changes however. By the way what actually is right and not right? Bacteria have nasty mechanisms for survival once (horizontal gene transfer for example) they are built for survival too.. Mosy often even strong medicines can't wipe them out.

Haidut was probably right in that recent autism study saying that he probably was thinking of lactobacillus overgrowth, that species is considered 'right' and this is seen in disease.

I think a robust metabolism is indeed a factor in not having much annoyance from a disbiosis and may even help to establish a new microbioal composition. Having a lot stomach acid, good functioning pancreas, good working liver will all inhibit overgrowth to some extent. Luckily our immune system produces a variety of anti-microbial peptides, which actually few pathogens can aquire resistance to. Not sure if this is enough to overcome disbiosis though, when you suffer that.

This is an interesting read about the selective mechanisms by the host:
http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pbio.1001424

Another really really interesting paper and experiment performed very well: http://www.univie.ac.at/mcogneu/lit/ridaura.pdf
This paper shows the enormous complexity of the whole microbiome and that a single species, although we are used to think in single species, isn't likely to bring us anywhere in understanding. (only in the diganosis of clostridium difficile maybe, but that's not understanding). It's a long article and there's much info in there. Can't be explained in a few sentences unfortunetaly. Anyway I'll give it a try.

Microbial phenotype is transmissible by a transplant of microbiota. Obese mice can get lean by putting them in cages with lean mice (lean mice won't fatten). When the microbiota was sequenced they found 39 bacteria to be transfered. However by transplanting 'only' these 39 species into obese micem they didn't get lean!? There's more done in this paper, but to me this was the most notable result. :)

OP
S

I guess milk would feed the kind that likes milk as opposed to fiber eaters, and adequate sugar would allow you to make enough mucus. Also fermented dairy has some protective characteristics.