Artemisinin - Loading Dosage?

burtlancast

Interestingly in malaria as well the dried leaf extract remains effective when there is resistance to artesunate. Compounds in the dried leaf extract seem to help absorption of artemisinin.

Artemisia annua dried leaf tablets treated malaria resistant to ACT and i.v. artesunate: Case reports. - PubMed - NCBI
Daddy NB1, Kalisya LM2, Bagire PG3, Watt RL4, Towler MJ5, Weathers PJ6.
BACKGROUND:
Dried leaf Artemisia annua (DLA) has shown efficacy against Plasmodium sp. in rodent studies and in small clinical trials. Rodent malaria also showed resiliency against the evolution of artemisinin drug resistance.
PURPOSE:
This is a case report of a last resort treatment of patients with severe malaria who were responding neither to artemisinin combination therapy (ACT) nor i.v. artesunate.
STUDY DESIGN:
Of many patients treated with ACTs and i.v. artesunate during the 6 mon study period, 18 did not respond and were subsequently treated with DLA Artemisia annua.
METHODS:
Patients were given a dose of 0.5g DLA per os, twice daily for 5d. Total adult delivered dose of artemisinin was 55mg. Dose was reduced for body weight under 30kg. Clinical symptoms, e.g. fever, coma etc., and parasite levels in thick blood smears were tracked. Patients were declared cured and released from hospital when parasites were microscopically undetectable and clinical symptoms fully subsided.
RESULTS:
All patients were previously treated with Coartem® provided through Santé Rurale (SANRU) and following the regimen prescribed by WHO. Of 18 ACT-resistant severe malaria cases compassionately treated with DLA, all fully recovered. Of the 18, this report details two pediatric cases.
CONCLUSIONS:
Successful treatment of all 18 ACT-resistant cases suggests that DLA should be rapidly incorporated into the antimalarial regimen for Africa and possibly wherever else ACT resistance has emerged.

Artemisinin permeability via Caco-2 cells increases after simulated digestion of Artemisia annua leaves. - PubMed - NCBI
ETHNOPHARMACOLOGICAL RELEVANCE:
Artemisia annua has been used for > 2000yrs to treat fever and is more recently known for producing the important antimalarial drug, artemisinin.
AIM OF THE STUDY:
Artemisinin combination therapies (ACTs) are effective for treating malaria, but are often unavailable to those in need. Dried leaves of A. annua (DLA) have recently been studied as a cost effective alternative to traditional ACTs. DLA was shown to dramatically increase oral bioavailability compared to pure artemisinin, so more investigation into the mechanisms causing this increased bioavailability is needed.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
In this study, we used a simulated digestion system coupled with Caco-2 cell permeability assays to investigate the intestinal permeability of DLA compared to pure artemisinin. We also determined the effects of different phytochemicals (7 flavonoids, 3 monoterpenes, 2 phenolic acids, scopoletin and inulin) and the cytochrome P450 isoform CYP3A4 on artemisinin intestinal permeability.
RESULTS:
Artemisinin permeability, when delivered as digested DLA, significantly increased by 37% (Papp = 8.03 × 10-5cms-1) compared to pure artemisinin (Papp = 5.03 × 10-5cms-1). However, none of the phytochemicals tested or CYP3A4 had any significant effect on the intestinal permeability of artemisinin. We also showed that essential oil derived from A. annua negatively affected the intestinal permeability of artemisinin, but only after simulated digestion. Finally, we showed that A. annua essential oil reduced the transepithelial electrical resistance of Caco-2 monolayers, but only in the presence of bile. Although also reduced by essential oils, artemisinin Papp subsequently recovered in the presence of plant matrix.
CONCLUSIONS:
These results shed light on the mechanisms by which DLA enhances the oral bioavailability of artemisinin.

These are truly dramatic recent studies, since it demonstrates thousands of people unnecessarily died from malaria resistant to artemisinin combination therapy.

The original chinese discoverers claimed the tea was too weak for malaria treatment, but conveniently forgot to test the dried leaf extract ( how is that even possible?).

Let's see if the establishment dares to follow this breakthrough and recommends the whole plant.

Once any substance is recognized safe and effective for treatment of a disease, it automatically makes it legally available for off label treatment, to the discretion of any physician willing to use it.

Should we hold our breath?

Tarmander

So basically you should take the whole wormwood herb with the extract of artemisinin to prevent resistance in malaria? Am I understanding that right?

burtlancast

Yes, but i believe the medicinal compounds are much more concentrated in the leaves.
The dried leaf extracts sold commercially often mix the leaves with the rest of the plant (stems, etc) which lowers the potency.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Yes, there will be conflicting/confusing info because there is a lot of new research and fedback coming out....it's a work in progress. Took me months to sort thru all the info and come up with what worked for me....dig, you will find the answers that you are looking for. Unfortunately some of my best references have mysteriously dissappeared.

THat's for sure... So much conflicting info out there! I think I'm going to go the route that was effective for you using the Dr's Best brand Artemisinin (200mg, 4days on 3days off and a week break every couple months), and the Nutricology Artemisia (500mg) for the "leaf extract Artemisia" as you mentioned. Do you take the leaf extract Artemisia everyday, or do you cycle that too?
Being that it's the dried leaf extract, as discussed above, this preparation might negate the resistance issue.
I am concerned about the microcrystalline cellulose in both these products, and the lead in the Nutricology product, so if anyone can chime in with some other trusted brands, please do tell!!
I have contacted BioPure company asking what parts of the plant are used in their Artemisinin powder supplements and there preparation methods but haven't heard back yet. They also have suppositories... don't know about that!

The Hulda Clark one "WORMWOOD - SUPER W BLEND" doesn't have any exipients but it has other herbs in it which I don't know about, and the website doesn't state which parts of the plant are all used.

So basically you should take the whole wormwood herb with the extract of artemisinin to prevent resistance in malaria? Am I understanding that right?

I read on your other post that you have been having success with a Wormwood tincture. I'm curious; is the leaf extract, or whole plant... do you know? Would you recommend the brand/product you've been using?

Yes, but i believe the medicinal compounds are much more concentrated in the leaves.
The dried leaf extracts sold commercially often mix the leaves with the rest of the plant (stems, etc) which lowers the potency.

It sounds like the Anamed A-3 is best quality and most informative about their product and process. Does anyone from the US order from them?

While I'm at it, I might as well try the Moringa also.

L

lollipop

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Holley Pharmaceuticals
Quality Artemisinin: Allergy Research Group
Hepalin.com

Zpol yes, since Artemisia leaf extract seems to have some unique benefits I add it to the pure Artemisinin....take it in am and Artemisinin in pm...giving me 24 hour coverage, I guess...cycled the same. The above sources were all recomended by Doctors and researchers involved in Art cancer/malaria research.

Yes... Much appreciated! I think my local health store sells the allergy research group brand, so extra bonus to know they are backed by research and test their batches.
Thanks!

Tarmander

THat's for sure... So much conflicting info out there! I think I'm going to go the route that was effective for you using the Dr's Best brand Artemisinin (200mg, 4days on 3days off and a week break every couple months), and the Nutricology Artemisia (500mg) for the "leaf extract Artemisia" as you mentioned. Do you take the leaf extract Artemisia everyday, or do you cycle that too?
Being that it's the dried leaf extract, as discussed above, this preparation might negate the resistance issue.
I am concerned about the microcrystalline cellulose in both these products, and the lead in the Nutricology product, so if anyone can chime in with some other trusted brands, please do tell!!
I have contacted BioPure company asking what parts of the plant are used in their Artemisinin powder supplements and there preparation methods but haven't heard back yet. They also have suppositories... don't know about that!

The Hulda Clark one "WORMWOOD - SUPER W BLEND" doesn't have any exipients but it has other herbs in it which I don't know about, and the website doesn't state which parts of the plant are all used.

I read on your other post that you have been having success with a Wormwood tincture. I'm curious; is the leaf extract, or whole plant... do you know? Would you recommend the brand/product you've been using?

It sounds like the Anamed A-3 is best quality and most informative about their product and process. Does anyone from the US order from them?

While I'm at it, I might as well try the Moringa also.

I am using the now product:

https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Walnut...r=8-3&keywords=wormwood+tincture+black+walnut

After I finish the bottle I don’t plan to get another, but maybe I will try one of these wormwood extracts in this thread. The tincture I am on really flattens out my blood sugar, calms me, makes my guts nice. But it is for parasites and has clove and walnut. Might be good to do once or twice. I will say I have not seen any evidence of parasites exiting my body...

achillea

We used to use MCT with the artemesinin and put it in the jewelry cleaner for about 6 minutes. Now we are experimenting with coconut oil to no avail so far. DR. Klinghardt is using lecithin because he thinks the getting it into the kids is what is important at this time in their life

kayumochi

No loading dose...Artemisinin 200 mg 4 days on 2 off...week off every 2-3 months...Nutricology, Dr's Best....leukemia no more?(white blood cell ct. perfect), prostate and gut problems no more....have added the leaf extract Artemisia 1 cap per day for insurance (research difference and benefits)....but often wonder how little I could take and still get results...haven't tried to experiment yet.

at bzmazu's suggestion I follow the exact protocol and have the best part of this year.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

I am using the now product:

https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Walnut...r=8-3&keywords=wormwood+tincture+black+walnut

After I finish the bottle I don’t plan to get another, but maybe I will try one of these wormwood extracts in this thread. The tincture I am on really flattens out my blood sugar, calms me, makes my guts nice. But it is for parasites and has clove and walnut. Might be good to do once or twice. I will say I have not seen any evidence of parasites exiting my body...

Thanks for the input. I've many artemisinin supp's with those two additional herbs, I too would prefer to avoid them. Clove in particular I've read can be estrogenic.

at bzmazu's suggestion I follow the exact protocol and have the best part of this year.

Good to hear about your success! I have the Artiseminin, so I'll start with that tonight, and then add in the Artemisia leaf extract when I get it. I'll probably give a few months and then post my results.

achillea

can you liposomalize it without using lecithin that contains PUFA?

We have been using egg yolk and hydrogenated coconut oil with about a gram of artimisinin and putting it in the jewelry cleaner for 8 minutes then before the coconut oil hardens put in some vitamin E for preservative and put in about 10 containers for 100 mg each. Then we freeze it and take one out each night.

Experimentation is the name of the game.

B

Braveheart

I took this brand for the first time last night: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYKMY00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't say I noticed anything. Anyone want to share what they noticed the first times they took it?

This is a cancer preventative and cure for me. You aren't going to notice anything over night....possibly gut problems you will notice a quicker improvement? Blood tests showed my improvement w leukemia after a while. Malaria should improve within week? Lots of reading to be done to understand how Art. works. Google your questions and then throw out for discussion...it's proving to be pretty effective.

Tarmander

This is a cancer preventative and cure for me. You aren't going to notice anything over night....possibly gut problems you will notice a quicker improvement? Blood tests showed my improvement w leukemia after a while. Malaria should improve within week? Lots of reading to be done to understand how Art. works. Google your questions and then throw out for discussion...it's proving to be pretty effective.

Well I am curious so as to test whether this brand has efficacy. If people notice something, and I continue to notice nothing, it may mean I need to try a new brand.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

I took this brand for the first time last night: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYKMY00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't say I noticed anything. Anyone want to share what they noticed the first times they took it?

I took the Drs Best brand Artemisinin for 4 days, it worsened my constipation problem. I already take the max dosage of Cascara plus Magbicarb water, so I had to give up on this supp. in order to get back to 'normal', at least to the point I was at before.

I've noticed a lot of the illnesses this supp has been studied for have diarrhea as a symptom. So I guess slowing down transit time would be a good thing.

I have some Allergy Research Artemisia in my cupboard which I will try after a while. It's from the whole dried leaf. Maybe this will have a different effect.

Really quite sad about this. I had high hopes and did several hours of research. I know it's probably just me that has this side effect, I'm going to give the rest to my friend who's dealing with chronic UTIs.

L

lollipop

I agree with @bzmazu - an overtime sort of supplement. It has made a major difference over time in my GI system. @Zpol your experience is interesting. I have never had this, actually the opposite for me, increased transit time...but I will say this, it irons out problems with the system. Powerful product.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Thanks @lisaferraro . It may be the excipients that don't agree with me. I'll try some other brands.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals