Art Devany On Aging

OP
kayumochi

kayumochi

I have followed Art for several years now. He foams at the mouth at any mention of sugar, comes off as an arrogant know-it-all sometimes but does have something of worth to share.

tankasnowgod

Well, based on this line from the show notes- How Art proactively encourages low mitochondrial density. [36:26]-, I'm guessing he's mostly going along with the Wear and Tear or Rate of Living theory of Aging. Let me guess...... Caloric Restriction? Lots of Intermittent Fasting? Anything to slow down metabolic rate?

J

James IV

Well, based on this line from the show notes- How Art proactively encourages low mitochondrial density. [36:26]-, I'm guessing he's mostly going along with the Wear and Tear or Rate of Living theory of Aging. Let me guess...... Caloric Restriction? Lots of Intermittent Fasting? Anything to slow down metabolic rate?

Yep. Low carb and lots of fasting.

OP
kayumochi

kayumochi

Yes, most of that yet he is a vital 80-year-old. Not too many of those around ...

J

James IV

Yes, most of that yet he is a vital 80-year-old. Not too many of those around ...

I'd imagine he does as well as he does because of what he doesn't eat. He eats low calorie but he doesn't eat metabolically stimulating foods. So it probably evens out. He doesn't come across as very happy or connected though. I know the feeling of being "better" than the rest of the human race, rather than connected. I had the same feeling in keto. I prefer how my mind works now.

jitsmonkey

I admit to being not fluent in DeVany-ese however I've heard him referred to as essentially low carb low fat.
if in fact this were true it would mitigate an enormous amount of damage done by PUFA & Enriched flour products. His other odd practices aside.
This could in part explain some of his resilience.

miki14

DeVaney had hip replacement surgery recently, so much to a vital 80 year old. And he is full of himself most of the time unless he talks about his "wonder woman". He considers the protein consumption of wild cats as a got level for humans.

schultz

DeVaney had hip replacement surgery recently, so much to a vital 80 year old. And he is full of himself most of the time unless he talks about his "wonder woman". He considers the protein consumption of wild cats as a got level for humans.

It's also hard to tell how he truly feels inside. A guy like this may want to keep appearances up for the sake of his reputation.

(I'm just making a point, I really don't have any opinion on this gentleman. I don't know him.)

On the topic of healthy, thriving elderly individuals Jack LaLanne is definitely an interesting case study of someone who by all accounts maintained very high energy and general health up through his mid-late nineties. From what I've noticed his diet wasn't very Peat-esque (he seemed to completely avoid sugar and most dairy) however he appeared to eat very low fat for decades so probably safe to assume minimal to no pufa.

Eilee

He recommends waiting at least 4 hours after strength training before eating, otherwise you lose the effects of autophagy and muscles will degenerate...What do others think?

miki14

He recommends waiting at least 4 hours after strength training before eating, otherwise you lose the effects of autophagy and muscles will degenerate...What do others think?

Depends on several factors. If intensity is very high and catabolic process in the muscle and tissue is high and you are in a full blown stress response you might want to stop it with some sugar and a hot shower. Fasted training can increase growth hormone but only for the young and healthy. Eating something insulinogenic like a potato or fruit can stimulate muscle growth and regeneration. How much time for the post workout meal? I don't know.

Eilee

Thanks! So, although I am trying to eat primarily ketogenic, what you're saying is that eating carbs right after a strength training session might be a good thing, correct? I generally hop right into a hot sauna right after.

miki14

Thanks! So, although I am trying to eat primarily ketogenic, what you're saying is that eating carbs right after a strength training session might be a good thing, correct? I generally hop right into a hot sauna right after.

All these food timing strategies came out of the body building scene and are geared to promote hypertrophy and yield benefits probably only for high performing individuals. The basic principle is that stress promotes growth by an adaptive response. As there is only so much stress that you can induce with mechanical exercise you add metabolic stress via intermittent short term starvation. I doubt that there is much benefit for ill/health seeking individuals interested in well being and general fitness. Enjoyable, stimulating activities followed by good food and rest is probably just enough for most people to promote health. Sauna has lots of benefits but the anti inflammatory effect eliminates muscle growth as you need inflammation to "get swollen" but Sauna supports cardiovascular/endurance training.