Arsenic toxicity from rice?

Ippodrom47

I started eating white rice as my staple two months ago. I've been noticing extreme fatigue recently, accompanied by the severest brain fog, vertigo, balance issues and an overall not-so-good feeling. I stopped rice several days ago, and it seems to have helped a lot. I also started having numerous white spots on my nails around that time. I never thought that arsenic poisoning from rice is a thing, especially in such a short time period, until I came upon the following article about a very similar experience:

I regret I didn't collect a urine sample to test for arsenic back then.

FoodForeal

Is the rice organic? Minimize foods that aren't organic.

Bluebell

It might be the lack of B vitamins that come from whole grains.

If you want to know for sure if it is arsenic or not, you could try switching from 100% white rice to 100% brown rice as your staple and see if things get better or worse. (unless you have a rice intolerance which is unlikely).

youngsinatra

Probably the lack of B vitamins that are contained in the whole grain rice.

VitoScaletta

Potatoes / buckwheat are my go-to Starch, though I try not to eat Buckwheat in the evening because of the supposed fiber

David PS

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Probably the lack of B vitamins that are contained in the whole grain rice.
I somehow don't get it - you mean I started feeling worse due to the lack of b vitamins in white rice and then started feeling better after ditching it due to... lack of lacking b vitamins? :)

Gânico

I think the arsenic issue is more present in brown rice, but white rice can be problematic because it can feed gut bacteria and increase endotoxins, and like white sugar, can leech vitamins/minerals from the body in order to process the glucose.

Potatoes are a better carbohydrate source.

Last edited:

makaronai

Cook it yourself after soaking overnight and rinsing it thoroughly. We eat white rice almost daily for years (my Japanese husband would happily eat it three times a day) and I’ve never noticed anything you are describing. Maybe it’s not rice itself causing you problems? I’m pretty sure they use nonstick rice cookers in the canteens.

youngsinatra

I somehow don't get it - you mean I started feeling worse due to the lack of b vitamins in white rice and then started feeling better after ditching it due to... lack of lacking b vitamins? :)
What did you eat instead of white rice on the days you avoided it?

maillol

I get insomnia when I eat white rice and will feel unwell for at least a day afterwards. It is hard to believe but I have tested it several times. I do not get this from any other carbs. I also suspect the arsenic.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

I've decided to do a urine arsenic test, I'll post the results in a few days when I get those.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

My urine arsenic test result came back at 221.8 mcg/L. In the lab's range, it's okay (<300). However, lots of sources say that urine arsenic must be less than 35 mcg/L, and anything more than 200 is overdose. Where's the truth?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals