Arsenic in tap water linked to reduced rates of breast cancer

gretchen

http://www.futurity.org/arsenic-breast-cancer

The study, published in the journal EBioMedicine, presents results of breast cancer mortality data from a region in Chile where residents were inadvertently exposed to high levels of arsenic, which occurs naturally in many minerals.

Instead of an increase in mortality, as with many other cancer sites, the study found that breast cancer deaths were cut in half during the period that coincided with high arsenic exposure. The effect was more pronounced among women under age 60, with mortality in these women reduced by 70 percent.

tara

Isn't this how a lot of chemotherapy is suppose to work? Flood the system with poison, and the cancer cells will die first because they are weaker/less adaptable, while the rest of the body will just get sick. I think I read that arsenic interferes with the pyruvate dehygrogenase enzyme, which I think is not great for general cellular health because PDH is a key enzyme in mitochondrial energy production.

Peatri Dish

We'll then, let's just gobble up those factory meats in order to get our daily requirement of arsenic!

pboy

Peatri Dish said:
We'll then, let's just gobble up those factory meats in order to get our daily requirement of arsenic!

lol

on a side note, not sure I agree...but some people have suggested natural arsenic in small amounts might be a necessary nutrient! You hear this about tin, nickel, and some others too (even fluoride) but there isn't evidence to suggest either way strongly. But I think everyone usually agrees in large amounts these are all bad

taras explanation is probably right, it might be a subtle assault that shows benefit in the short term, but 5-10 years later might have proven to weaken the metabolism. Though that study is quite interesting, and unexpected...the actual empirical results

LucyL

Arsenic is already used as treatment for some types of leukemia, usually after standard chemo has failed.

From the article the exposure in Chile was only 12 years, at which time a treatment plant was installed because people were showing symptoms of arsenic poisoning. I don't think this was a "low dose", even though it may have been natural. The same thing happened in Bangledash not too long ago, some charity groups went in a dug a bunch of wells without considering the unintended consequences. They are still suffering the after effects in several regions. I'm sure they'll be grateful to know their breast cancer risk has decreased :roll: .

tara

I think Reams recommended an occasional serving of asparagus to some people for arsenic in a natural form that some bodies could use, I think for heart health (he prescribed very personalised diets - not the same foods for everyone). There are many elements that are poisons in some forms but useful or necessary in others.

Arsenic was widely used in pesticides in apple orchards and other fruit and vegetable production for a while. Some of the arsenic is still in the ground, though it washes into waterways more readily than the accompanying lead. I read discussion about whether it was safer to leave this land as orchards than to convert it into residential suburbs.

OP
G

gretchen

Homeopathic arsenic is apparently effective against cancer also.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3317753/

This study confirms the protection of the MT4 cells against the toxic effects of the As2O3 by the homoeopathic remedy, namely Arsenicum album; thereby verifying the Law of Similars. The results showed that the potencies diluted beyond Avogadro’s constant, namely the 30CH and 200CH, had physiological effects on cells, despite having no particles of the original substance present;