Arrade's Journey To Fixing HypoThyroidism

Luckytype

The intent was simply to evade long debates about the STTM and Denis Wilson/rT3-Wilson’s-syndrome approaches. Those methods have their advocates. My experience more closely matches ideas described by Dr. Peat. Some overlapping working ideas I arrived at independently. So I attend more to this kind of site.

Practically speaking, some hesitations about thyroid are because how supplemental thyroid is regulated. Physicians must prescribe it for humans to receive it, unless persons find work-a-rounds. It is difficult for most to explore beyond the orthodox prescribing.

I wish to give @Arrade his full due in describing his journey and tracking responses.

Briefly, my experience is, when thyroid supplementation is indicated, it is helpful to use some T3 divided during the day, along with T4. (In transitioning, it seems sensible to accordingly lower the T4 quantity when adding T3.)Contrary to observations in other posts, I have known some people (far from a majority) who over the short term (months) have done OK-ish with T4 only. I have encountered many long-term T4-only users whose lingering symptoms were quickly relieved by adding T3.

While the idea of nibbling a few milligrams of T3 every couple of hours may be useful, almost nobody does this consistently even when desperate. It seems generally more useful to aim for dividing T3 amounts into about 4 times per day. Most appear to follow that approximately.

There can be risk for any substance, even water/salt/oxygen. The functional margin of safety for small thyroid doses seems much larger than for medications physicians use routinely, and for many OTC substances. Due to many widespread metabolism-impairing influences, many folk can find rapid relief by boosting thyroid function promptly.

(Preparing to get flamed.)

In short youre saying the issue is compliance, in order to bio-replicate what a "healthy" system should be doing.

aguilaroja

In short youre saying the issue is compliance, in order to bio-replicate what a "healthy" system should be doing.
Does “compliance” refer to the topic of medication adherence and compliance? One point was a practical approach to intake of supplementary T3 when indicated.

OP
Arrade

Arrade

Ray has talked about the connection between prolactin, PTH, and hair loss. He also said calcium, vitamin D, progesterone, vitamin E, caffeine etc which lower prolactin can help with hair loss. Ofcourse thyroid can also work if you can find the right dose for you since it lowers prolactin.
I've taken a good deal of Vit D with Vit K. I think I eradicated any hardening of my arteries this way.
I don't like caffeine, and I probably won't use prog - antiandrogen and limited results from members here.

Vit E holds some interest for me, see this review from Thorne's Vit E
"I take this on an empty stomach together with Thorne Research Selenomethionine and my thyroid medication, and wait at least 30 minutes before eating. Vitamin E works synergistically with selenium, increasing absorption. Selenium helps convert T4 to T3. Since adding this to my thyroid medication, my dosage of thyroid has decreased significantly. Every other brand of vitamin E I have ever tried has given me a severe headache. This brand does not. Also, it does not contain soy, which is a goitrogen and a carcinogen. I highly recommend this brand!

OP
Arrade

Arrade

I don't see anything wrong with adding T3, but it may confuse the matter. I already have a good rate of T3, I don't see any issue with my conversion rate.
I may be adding Vitamin E though, just to see how I feel

Luckytype

Does “compliance” refer to the topic of medication adherence and compliance? One point was a practical approach to intake of supplementary T3 when indicated.

Compliance from the world i come from is basically "if you do this(roughly this way), this should generally be the outcome" and the person does it if thats the outcome they want. Often times it requires effort, diligence and patience that people dont have or have thrown away. Oversimplified but in a nutshell.

I hear you 100% on a practical approach. Unfortunately depending on circumstance and individual differences I dont know if many people realize a less than practical approach may be needed or at least tried. Practical is not being unhealthy in the first place for years at a time.

Nobody wants to eat certain things, wants to be more patient, wants to measure temps hourly, wants to break a t3 crumb off hourly, or wants to take a conservative approach. Certainly not when they feel unhealthy. "Practical" is take a pill, use a supplement and boom, better. Tomorrow, today, now, yesterday. "Impractical" by new definition often is being patient, doing smart, reasonable things and letting the body do its thing before adding another variable.

OP
Arrade

Arrade

An hour after waking (not the best time) my temp was 97.5.
Guess that’s still low

Cirion

Any status updates?

Runenight201

Yea seriously @Arrade what's going on... I distinctly remember a period a month ago when you were on a high dopamine state binger posting in practically every thread....

mgrabs

Hello

I was going to wait until I cured my hairloss to start fixing hypothyroidism. Well my hairloss has gotten bad enough I want to shave, so why wait! Also, I'm starting to think it is the progenitor of my hair issues.

Here's what some friends have shared with me to improve their hypothyroidism (less TSH over time, better temps and energy):

12.5 mg Lugol's Iodine
200 mcg Selenium
450 mg ashwaganda
400 mg Magnesium

Things I'm considering adding to this:
Methylene Blue 1-2 drops in water
Vit E (all forms)

These would be used everyday and would be added specifically to aid in thyroid function.
To start off I'm on levothyroxine 137 mcg; I plan to medicate and use these and slowly get off meds.

I will continue to update, feel free to add your suggestions.
Did you ever succeed in doing this?