Aromatization and haiR

Johhny Tazzle

I'm starting to think testosterone being converted to estrogen is the main culprit for balding, any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Lancaster

Aromatase expression is demonstrated to be downregulated in the scalp of balding men, and aromatase inhibitors - both steroidal and non-steroidal - cause hairloss — where've you got that idea from?

Aromatase expression is demonstrated to be downregulated in the scalp of balding men, and aromatase inhibitors - both steroidal and non-steroidal - cause hairloss — where've you got that idea from?

From pretty much everyone here :pigeon:

Lancaster

From pretty much everyone here :pigeon:
None of whom provide evidence that the aromatization of testosterone to estrogen is directly causative — this forum has a lot of nice ideas on hairloss, but they're all mechanistic with little to no real-world application.

iso1

One of the main culprits are DHT, AR, 5AR2 and other unknown factors yet, like epitestosterone possibly. Not E2 and aromatization, why invent bicycle. So many studies up there.

Last edited:
One of the main culprits are DHT, AR, 5AR2 and other unknown factors yet, like epitestosterone possibly. Not E2 and aromatization, why invent bicycle. So many studies up there.

I think the only hormone Peatarians are probably correct about when it comes to AGA is Prolactin. Cortisol may have some mild role since it's generally destructive (although some people have positive results applying synthetic corticosteroids so even that is debatable), and estrogen is protective and contributes to regrowth, unlike what most claim here.

I was actually surprised that Bayer's BAY 1158061 prolactin receptor antibody has shown to be quite promising for hair loss in the clinical trial. Not sure how Bayer came up with the idea of developing that drug, since there has been no previously known implication of prolactin in male pattern baldness up until now.

Drugs like caber and bromo don't work for this - they mostly work on intrapituitary prolactin and can't reduce it in the hair follicle.

golder

I think the only hormone Peatarians are probably correct about when it comes to AGA is Prolactin. Cortisol may have some mild role since it's generally destructive (although some people have positive results applying synthetic corticosteroids so even that is debatable), and estrogen is protective and contributes to regrowth, unlike what most claim here.

I was actually surprised that Bayer's BAY 1158061 prolactin receptor antibody has shown to be quite promising for hair loss in the clinical trial. Not sure how Bayer came up with the idea of developing that drug, since there has been no previously known implication of prolactin in male pattern baldness up until now.

Drugs like caber and bromo don't work for this - they mostly work on intrapituitary prolactin and can't reduce it in the hair follicle.
Any potential topical anti prolactin treatments you think could be worthwhile? Would putting a few drops of say Lisuride in a alcohol spray bottle work?

Any potential topical anti prolactin treatments you think could be worthwhile? Would putting a few drops of say Lisuride in a alcohol spray bottle work?

I think the mechanism of action must be something other than D2 agonist. Bayer's drug is an antibody that specifically competes for the prolactin receptor.

You can try looking at the herbs Hans posted here, maybe one of them lowers prolactin through a different manner:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals