Arguments for why health care system is shajt?

FitnessMike

I am generally hating the health care system in the conversations with peoples, based on how my mom's hypo was treated (unsuccessfully), my dads supposedly high cholesterol, how i was treated when i came to the doctor with many hypo symptoms, and generally because of the whole "pandemic" situation.

I often run out of arguments to prove why health care ***t, and I need help with that. We all know that its extremely corrupted and it's all about symptom management.

Kram

The system can be great for emergency care/acute situations but is terrible for treating any type of chronic disease/condition (e.g., when pharma companies get involved). Simple things like looking at life expectancy over time in the US (has barely changed the last 30 years and think I read at one point that the biggest driver of the improvement was the decline in smoking) compared to Japan where it continues to get better. Lots of things obviously impact life expectancy but you would assume it would increase if they were actually making improvements to treating disease.

When was the last time you heard of a 'miracle' drug that cured any type of cancer or other degenerative condition (Alzheimer's, MS, Parkinson's etc). It hasn't happened and they have been researching this stuff for 50+ years. There are also over 7,000 known medical conditions, but mainstream medical science has only produced treatments for about 500 of these, and many of those treatments are not very good. (quoted from a doctor here: 12 things you need to know about PEMF and ICES® technology).

Also some good points made in this thread.

You can also reference all the lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies. Here is one example.

Kram

Also, medical errors are one of the leading causes of death in the US.

Peatful

I left a wonderful career in healthcare because of the milieu or ethos....
but as I look back- it was truly about the ignorance of the people (the MDs, the nurses, other therapists).
Privileged to have and education, a degree, the initials behind their name- but I clearly saw the most true care and wisdom coming from the cleaning woman and the volunteer hospital chaplain.

These educated fools have never learned to think for themselves. They’ve never had enough suffering because of their privilege and the way the world esteems them.

More to say- but at stop lights....commuting.....

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Peatful

P

Peatness

Fantastic documentary on the NHS -

THE GREAT NHS HEIST​