Arginine and Glutaime in Gelatin, is it good or bad for cancer

Jeff Masters

In relation to cancers, this article Starving Cancer Cells Eat Themselves

says that by shutting off the supply of Arginine and Glutamine "the cells couldn’t handle both and began feeding on themselves. “

So if Glycine is an anticancer amino acid, and Arginine and Glutamine are pro cancer, how does this relate to supplementing with gelatin (which I do). Is supplementing with gelatin contradictive or is there some other mechanism at play here that I'm not aware of?

Sefton10

says that by shutting off the supply of Arginine and Glutamine "the cells couldn’t handle both and began feeding on themselves. “

So if Glycine is an anticancer amino acid, and Arginine and Glutamine are pro cancer, how does this relate to supplementing with gelatin (which I do). Is supplementing with gelatin contradictive or is there some other mechanism at play here that I'm not aware of?
Not related to cancer, but I had a brutal case of shingles when hitting Gelatin hard. I put that down to the high arginine content as well as other stressors at the time. I’ve avoided it since and try to make sure I get a roughly 2:1 ratio of Lysine:Arginine through diet. A pure glycine powder is an option if you can find a clean one, but I don’t think Peat is a big fan of supplementing isolated amino acids.

Birdie

Not related to cancer, but I had a brutal case of shingles when hitting Gelatin hard. I put that down to the high arginine content as well as other stressors at the time. I’ve avoided it since and try to make sure I get a roughly 2:1 ratio of Lysine:Arginine through diet. A pure glycine powder is an option if you can find a clean one, but I don’t think Peat is a big fan of supplementing isolated amino acids.
Same here for the high arginine in gelatin. About 10 years ago, my husband and I both got shingles after using larger doses of gelatin.

Sefton10

Same here for the high arginine in gelatin. About 10 years ago, my husband and I both got shingles after using larger doses of gelatin.
I just stick to bone broth now but make sure I don't go overboard with that too.

Birdie

I just stick to bone broth now but make sure I don't go overboard with that too.
Yes, so many high arginine foods including orange juice, liver, gelatin, beef... All I can think of offhand, but we were using them all when we both came down with H zoster/shingles.

Perry Staltic

Yes, so many high arginine foods including orange juice, liver, gelatin, beef... All I can think of offhand, but we were using them all when we both came down with H zoster/shingles.

Chocolate's another. Peanuts

Sefton10

I was eating a lot of oats, nuts and legumes at the time too (pre-discovering Peat). All high in Arginine.
Chocolate's another. Peanuts
I love dark chocolate and hot chocolate so make sure I keep it under control. I have some lysine on hand in case I ever feel anything coming on, shingles in not something I ever want to go back to again, it was grim.

tankasnowgod

Pretty much all protein has Arginine and Glutamine.

Why are you worried about gelatin, but not every other protein source, like milk, chicken, egg, or soy?

Sefton10

Pretty much all protein has Arginine and Glutamine.

Why are you worried about gelatin, but not every other protein source, like milk, chicken, egg, or soy?
It’s more about the ratio of arginine:lysine. Gelatin is roughly 2:1. Milk is roughly 1:3.

EDIT: Sorry I’m referring to shingles here, I realise that’s not OP’s focus

Birdie

It’s more about the ratio of arginine:lysine. Gelatin is roughly 2:1. Milk is roughly 1:3.

EDIT: Sorry I’m referring to shingles here, I realise that’s not OP’s focus
Yeah, I was veering off to my own situation. Of course it's the ratio. But we've dealt with that in aother threads. This one is for cancer, got it.;)