Are You Worried About Antacid Effects Of Calcium Carbonate (tablets, Eggshell, Oyster Shell)?

Logan-

Are you worried about the antacid effects of calcium carbonate supplementation?

Calcium carbonate is an inorganic salt used as an antacid. It is a basic compound that acts by neutralizing hydrochloric acid in gastric secretions. Subsequent increases in pH may inhibit the action of pepsin. An increase in bicarbonate ions and prostaglandins may also confer cytoprotective effects. Calcium carbonate may also be used as a nutritional supplement or to treat hypocalcemia.

Calcium Carbonate - DrugBank

This effect could affect your digestion of nutrients, and breakdown of food. Digestive PH is also an important factor that affects your microbiota composition and population, and altering the gastric ph could cause changes in these. Also, gastric acid kills many of the microbes that are in our food, preventing infections.

OP
L

Logan-

I would like to use calcium carbonate instead of calcium citrate; but the antacid effect of calcium carbonate is a cause of concern for me. I'd like to read others' opinions about this subject.

sunraiser

Calcium carbonate gives me poor digestion and tonsioliths(sp?). You can take it with a couple teaspoons of vinegar to negate the effect to some degree.

I personally gave raw milk a try after not having milk for a year and after a week or so of stomach discomfort I have been able to tolerate it fine (plus a little taurine latterly).

Before milk I was using raw cheese and non raw greek yogurt.

Based on my cravings my calcium needs each day are ridiculously variable so I'm no longer comfortable with the idea of supplements as a lone calcium (or anything) source. I don't believe it's sustainable with regard to consistent health.

I don't crave much milk, a cup a day or less usually and sometimes none, but I find it useful as yogurt and cheese have their limitations.

In short: I use yogurt raw milk and raw cheese as daily calcium sources. Plus greens sometimes.

OP
L

Logan-

I am allergic to milk protein, that's why I can't consume any of the diary products. Calcium supplements are necessary for me

sunraiser

What are your casein allergy symptoms?

If they're not life threatening then you could try to see if you tolerate raw cheddar aged 9-12 months or something along those lines. I thought I had casein issues, too.

Hello!
I think that between not ingesting enough calcium and using calcium citrate, the later is much preferable. I'm actually in the same situation as you. I currently use calcium citrate as my main calcium source. I tried the carbonate one in the past and it produced a lot of indigestion, as well as constipation, and it also didn't help my sleep. There are other ions that can enter in the place of "carbonate". There is calcium:
-bicarbonate;
-malate;
-chloride;
-phosphate;
-possibly others...
I think that if you are supplementing with enough calcium citrate to get get 1 gram of calcium, that will give you a little less than 5 grams of citric acid, which really isn't that much. As a comparison, 1 liter of Orange juice has around 8 grams of this acid. The only corncern is that the citric acid that is produced industrially can be contaminated with something toxic. So if you tolerate this form of calcium well( no rashes, no breathing or gut problems, etc.), then it's probably ok.

OP
L

Logan-

Hello!
I think that between not ingesting enough calcium and using calcium citrate, the later is much preferable. I'm actually in the same situation as you. I currently use calcium citrate as my main calcium source. I tried the carbonate one in the past and it produced a lot of indigestion, as well as constipation, and it also didn't help my sleep. There are other ions that can enter in the place of "carbonate". There is calcium:
-bicarbonate;
-malate;
-chloride;
-phosphate;
-possibly others...
I think that if you are supplementing with enough calcium citrate to get get 1 gram of calcium, that will give you a little less than 5 grams of citric acid, which really isn't that much. As a comparison, 1 liter of Orange juice has around 8 grams of this acid. The only corncern is that the citric acid that is produced industrially can be contaminated with something toxic. So if you tolerate this form of calcium well( no rashes, no breathing or gut problems, etc.), then it's probably ok.

Hi, thanks for the great reply. I agree with your points. Calcium malate and calcium citrate malate look good too.
https://www.amazon.com/Designs-Health-Calcium-Chelate-Capsules/dp/B000FGXLMI

It is related to, but different from, calcium citrate malate.

Calcium citrate malate is a water-soluble calcium supplement. It is the calcium salt of citric acid and malic acid with variable composition.

Calcium citrate malate's bioavailability stems from its water-solubility and its method of dissolution. When dissolved, it releases calcium ions and a calcium citrate complex. Calcium ions are absorbed directly into intestinal cells, and the citrate complex enters the body through paracellular absorption.[citation needed]

Calcium citrate malate is similar to calcium malate and other calcium salts. The European Food Safety Authority has concluded that calcium citrate malate is "slightly more bioavailable" than other forms of calcium supplementation.[2]

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-calcium-citrate-malate-1-000-mg-calcium-per-serving-360-capsules

I take pure calcium citrate powder. I have found it effective in building bones and teeth, increasing my calcium to phosphate ratio and decreasing PTH level. It's free of excipients and more economical than the calcium citrate tablets.

If they're not life threatening
Unfortunately they are.

You're welcome!
I think those forms would be good too. Amazonic has made a post about malic acid, where it was shown to provide benefits. It also had the not so good effect of enhancing the absorption of iron from food. Apparently citric acid does that too, but to a lesser extent.

https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/magnesium-malate-when-energy-fails.16611/

I also use the pure powder. The brand I currently use is 'Now'. So far, I have had good effects from it( good sleep, improved mood, no constipation)

Vinero

Hello!
-bicarbonate;
-malate;
-chloride;
-phosphate;
-possibly others...
I am currently using calcium carbonate without any digestive issues. In the past I used to take it on an empty stomach between meals. But that produced bad effects like intestinal irritation which made me give up calcium carbonate as a source of calcium.
Now I tried to take calcium carbonate with meals and the results have been very good. Nice pro-metabolic, pro-dopamine effects without any gut irritation.

I am currently using calcium carbonate without any digestive issues. In the past I used to take it on an empty stomach between meals. But that produced bad effects like intestinal irritation which made me give up calcium carbonate as a source of calcium.
Now I tried to take calcium carbonate with meals and the results have been very good. Nice pro-metabolic, pro-dopamine effects without any gut irritation.
Interesting. If you react well to it, calcium carbonate is definitely one of the best forms.

Oyster shell is a very clean form. Taken on an empty stomach with acidic food like orange juice is a way to avoid neutralizing stomach acid.

Vinero

All the time. I think the secret is taking on an empty stomach with acidic “food” like orange juice.
Nice. Do you also experience a mood lift and pro-dopamine effects from calcium? Calcium has strong anti-depressant effects in me, only downside is the intestinal irritation I sometimes get.

Nice. Do you also experience a mood lift and pro-dopamine effects from calcium? Calcium has strong anti-depressant effects in me, only downside is the intestinal irritation I sometimes get.

I have a good mood most of the time. Nothing noticed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals