Are You Supposed To Be Fasted For A Thyroid Blood Test?

connorj123

Im getting my thyroid checked tomorrow morning, but im not sure if I I should skip breakfast for it? I think they are checking t4 and tsh

Thanks

Nicole W.

Im getting my thyroid checked tomorrow morning, but im not sure if I I should skip breakfast for it? I think they are checking t4 and tsh

Thanks
Are you on any thyroid supplement currently? I’ve been told if you are and it is only T4 then you can eat before the lab. However if you use T3 either in a T4/T3 combo or T3 alone, the test is supposed to be fasted. If you’re not on any medication you don’t have to fast. It can be taken anytime of day but preferably in the morning. I have found better the labs indicate better function when I have eaten and worse when I have fasted, but I use thyroid daily. The best way to monitor thyroid function is temp and pulse as I’m sure you have read many time here.

OP
C

connorj123

Are you on any thyroid supplement currently? I’ve been told if you are and it is only T4 then you can eat before the lab. However if you use T3 either in a T4/T3 combo or T3 alone, the test is supposed to be fasted. If you’re not on any medication you don’t have to fast. It can be taken anytime of day but preferably in the morning. I have found better the labs indicate better function when I have eaten and worse when I have fasted, but I use thyroid daily. The best way to monitor thyroid function is temp and pulse as I’m sure you have read many time here.
Im on no supplement or meds. Just having this done to check my thyroid function

peateats1

When I got my thyroid tested, I fasted the first time and my tsh was 6.7. I got it tested a week later after eating and it was 3.2.
Eating before I think definitely will affect tsh results in my experience anways.

OP
C

connorj123

When I got my thyroid tested, I fasted the first time and my tsh was 6.7. I got it tested a week later after eating and it was 3.2.
Eating before I think definitely will affect tsh results in my experience anways.
I ended up doing it fasted :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals