Are You Enjoying Your Meals?

aquaman

I've thought this for a long time when I read what people on this forum eat, and was listening to KMUD and Ray answered about learned helplessness.

Here's the question:

Caller 1: Are there simple things, stepping stones one can use to overcome learned helplessness for a hypothyroid person who feels overwhelmed?

[quote = Ray Peat]Behavioral things like going to new places, meeting new people, doing very different things that you’ve never done before, but thought you might enjoy doing, at the same time as you try to correct your energy processes that are suppressed, having more enjoyable more varied meals for example and making sure that your thyroid function is good.[/quote]

Not only does this say to actually enjoy your meals, but it also suggests you should be having meals.

I look at the food lists of what some people put on here and think "how is any of this a meal?". People having 2 quarts of OJ and 2 quarts of skim milk a day as the basis of their eating.

Beyond that, I'd also say that liquids can't raise your metabolism. They may be OK once your metabolism is functioning, but for me it always cools me down (ie lowers my metabolism).

So I'd encourage people to eat regular meals at consistent times a day along with snacking between to keep your blood sugar up, and to measure your pulse and temps after meals to see if it goes up. I have at least 3 proper meals a day now and have been eating more fruit instead of drinking fruit juices. It's working really well.

theLaw

I would say that going "Peaty" is a healing process during which you might need to restrict your diet for a short time.

However, after that I think that it's up to the individual to create meals/diet that works best for them.

For some, this might be simple foods that produce the best feeling of well-being consistently, while for others it might be more traditional meals.:cool:

tara

I aim to eat meals I enjoy with snacks in between. Trying to run on juice and coffee milk wasn't going to work for me. I do drink some OJ and AJ, but not as major staples, and I like fruit for snacks, depending on what's available.

Not only does this say to actually enjoy your meals, but it also suggests you should be having meals.
Yes, and varied ones, not just the same few foods every day.

I think some people do have sensitivities that restrict what their systems can manage for a while, and availability and budget can constrain, but beyond that, variety and tastiness have much to commend them.

T

tca300

16 cups of skim milk, 7 cups of juice, 7 cups of coffee, a bowl of mushrooms with its water that it was boiled in, and 4 cups of water with dissolved gelatin, everyday, never get tired of it, and dont see my temp much below 99°F anymore.
A large liquid intake is 100% nessesary with a high metabolism. Most on this forum dont seem to be there just yet.

jitsmonkey

there's an enormous amount of enjoyment that comes from eating food that a) you know isn't going to make you feel bad and b) that has been integral in your recovery
so while the foods themselves may or may not seem "enjoyable" or "entertaining" to an onlooker. I can say for sure much like @tca300 mentioned above.
Eating simply and effectively is very "enjoyable".

Fractality

16 cups of skim milk, 7 cups of juice, 7 cups of coffee, a bowl of mushrooms with its water that it was boiled in, and 4 cups of water with dissolved gelatin, everyday, never get tired of it, and dont see my temp much below 99°F anymore.
A large liquid intake is 100% nessesary with a high metabolism. Most on this forum dont seem to be there just yet.

How often do you use the bathroom?

sladerunner69

Well I think sugarred/salted 1-2% organic milk tastes DELICIOUS and it's very peaty and pro metabolic too. Through in a pasture-raised egg yolk and a couple drops of vanilla and its a rich yummy shake-a-rooski. Add a piece of fruit and a coffee and it's apretty satisfying meal.

Though you're right, it surely doesn't fit into the traditional meal eating of 3 or 4 large emals a day. I'm usually eating every few hours and I'll only sit down if Im eating my morning milkcakes or some meat in the evening.

Pompadour

I always have 2 meals with my family and a few snacks and lunch with coffee at work , enjoying the company of my friends from work. I like to make every meal special :) And i hate when i have to eat in a hurry or smth interrupts me :rage (cortisol goes up instantly!)

mjrm

what is the logic behind "A large liquid intake is 100% nessesary with a high metabolism"-- it's not that i dont believe you, but just interested in how/why.

T

tca300

@mjrm A high metabolism uses a lot of water for various perposes, for example, when your running hot, water is needed to keep you from overheating. Like a radiator does for a car, when one fails you get the steaming engine on the side of the road.
A lot of people here think the warming sensation of drinking much less liquid is increasing their metabolic rate, when in reality they are just inducing mild dehydration. Not the same as a high metabolism.

mjrm

@mjrm A high metabolism uses a lot of water for various perposes, for example, when your running hot, water is needed to keep you from overheating. Like a radiator does for a car, when one fails you get the steaming engine on the side of the road.
A lot of people here think the warming sensation of drinking much less liquid is increasing their metabolic rate, when in reality they are just inducing mild dehydration. Not the same as a high metabolism.
So I'm not trying to be insulting but just to be sure, you do not have any references for your logic here, just personal experience?

I don't really buy the "like a radiator..." comparison. my understanding is that the cellular water in your body is different than that you are consuming.

HLP

@tca300 what kind of juice do you typically use? For a woman the amounts should be slightly different I'm guessing?

T

tca300

@mjrm Experience with myself and others. As metabolism increases, water needs increase, just like calorie, protein, carbohydrate, and micronutrient needs increase. I dont wish to argue or even debate, but to me its quite obvious what the typical response is to a very warm body. When someone is outside in the heat moving around, the body gets hot, sweats and needs water. A high metabolism is similar. Take care!

T

tca300

@HLP It should be based on calorie needs, hunger...
I eat what I need, thats it. I drink orange, and some pineapple juice.

mjrm

@mjrm Experience with myself and others. As metabolism increases, water needs increase, just like calorie, protein, carbohydrate, and micronutrient needs increase. I dont wish to argue or even debate, but to me its quite obvious what the typical response is to a very warm body. When someone is outside in the heat moving around, the body gets hot, sweats and needs water. A high metabolism is similar. Take care!
I see what you are saying and I don't even disagree from experience. However, I think there is something else to this as water is a product of oxidation that occurs when metabolizing food--which is why I'm seeking more of an explanation.

HLP

@tca300 thanks. I've gained a bit since I started here. Not crazy overweight and quite fit for my age, just a little to lose around the middle and I'd feel great. I have good energy and sleep all night so that is half of the solution. I do drink a fair bit of milk albeit it's not skimmed due to the fact that I get it fresh from the farmer. I pour off the cream on top and use the rest for myself. I also try to make fresh juice when possible.