Are White Potatoes High In Oxalate?

Hgreen56

Everywhere on google and here on the forum is told that sweet potatoes has high amount oxalates.
But when i search on white potatoes and oxalates i can't find any source that tells me if white potatoes are high or low in oxalate. :bookworm:

Last edited:

Max.

And about AGEs and glycation when you consume potatoes that maybe can can cause wrinkles and lot of problems?

OP
Hgreen56

Hgreen56

Yes, all potatoes are high in oxalates. Harvard University published an Excel doc I refer to:
Oxalate Content of Foods.xls

oxalate.org is a more thorough resource.

Yes they are high in oxalates raw. If you boil them 30-45 minutes they are one of the best carb sources IMO if you tolerate them.

Effect of different cooking methods on vegetable oxalate content - PubMed

"Boiling markedly reduced soluble oxalate content by 30-87% and was more effective than steaming (5-53%) and baking (used only for potatoes, no oxalate loss)"

thanks.

Yes they are high in oxalates raw. If you boil them 30-45 minutes they are one of the best carb sources IMO if you tolerate them.

Effect of different cooking methods on vegetable oxalate content - PubMed

"Boiling markedly reduced soluble oxalate content by 30-87% and was more effective than steaming (5-53%) and baking (used only for potatoes, no oxalate loss)"
Are they lower, because oxalates are dissolved in the cooking water or it's lower per/100 g of cooked since cooked potatoes absorb water thus increasing in weight?

Maljam

Are they lower, because oxalates are dissolved in the cooking water or it's lower per/100 g of cooked since cooked potatoes absorb water thus increasing in weight?

Interesting thought. The abstract mentions cooking methods for people with kidney issues, so I would assume the oxalates go into the water. If the potatoes still contained the same amount of oxalates but the reduction was a "technicality" based on changing weight, people with kidney issues wouldn't get the benefit, right? I'm not 100% sure though.

Interesting thought. The abstract mentions cooking methods for people with kidney issues, so I would assume the oxalates go into the water. If the potatoes still contained the same amount of oxalates but the reduction was a "technicality" based on changing weight, people with kidney issues wouldn't get the benefit, right? I'm not 100% sure though.
Thx! I'm asking, because nutritional labels show cooked spinach having more oxalates since it shrinks through cooking, although the difference is not substantial, so some of it is probably lost.

L

LauriePartridge

Everywhere on google and here on the forum is told that sweet potatoes has high amount oxalates.
But when i search on white potatoes and oxalates i can't find any source that tells me if white potatoes are high or low in oxalate. :bookworm:
Yes, very. Like a medium baked potato with skin is about 100 mgs of oxalates (Harvard). There are reports though of red boiled potatoes being in the medium category. A cup of mashed potatoes is about 30 mgs according to Harvard.

Vins7

¿En qué enfermedades o tipo de persona podría haber un problema con los oxalatos?

VitoScaletta

koky

i assume if you don't eat the skin of a baked potatoe, the oxalates are the same as boiled

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals