Are There Any Concerns About Dried Fruit?

Gone Peating

I eat pretty much only dried fruit (mango from thailand, figs and apricots from turkey) because all of the fresh fruit in the grocery stores by me never taste sweet/ripe enough. The dried fruit I eat contain no sulfur dioxide or any additives, just the fruit.

Probably a dumb question but are there any concerns with eating a lot of dried fruit every day?

TeaRex14

The only difference I can think of is dried fruit is more caloric dense. It's probably actually a very good food for people needing sugar who also are battling too much liquids.

somuch4food

I feel worse when I eat too much dried fruits. My teeth get sensitive and I get more gassy.

I've recently discovered that it might be because they are quite higher in histamine than fresh fruits. Other factors are more concentrated sugars and non hydrated fibers which can be harder to digest.

However if you don't feel any adverse effects from them, enjoy your diet, you're lucky!

John Estrada

There are a few studies showing mold is common amoung dried fruit. I'd say as long as it's a good source, ripe and doesn't upset your stomach then you are most likely fine.

artlange

I feel worse when I eat too much dried fruits. My teeth get sensitive and I get more gassy.

I've recently discovered that it might be because they are quite higher in histamine than fresh fruits. Other factors are more concentrated sugars and non hydrated fibers which can be harder to digest.

However if you don't feel any adverse effects from them, enjoy your diet, you're lucky!
Whenever I get gassy after eating dried fruit, I restart the grated carrot salads, then the gassiness goes away. The gassiness is a reliable reminder that comes whenever I miss two or three days of the carrot salad.

Watch out for potassium sorbate and other additives.

aquaman

Possibly too quick spikes in blood glucose. Test your blood. Find the answer for yourself.

Amazigh

Dried fruit can contain mold and bacteria. The CDC lists dried fruit near the top of food-borne illness sources.

OP
G

Gone Peating

Dried fruit can contain mold and bacteria. The CDC lists dried fruit near the top of food-borne illness sources.

I just had a nasty sinus infection a couple weeks ago which I never get lol

If it happens again i'll probably ditch the dried fruit

Lilac

I seem to remember that Ray frowns on dried fruit. And I think the reason was histamine, as mentioned upthread.

Dried fruit is somewhat denatured. Always better to have fresh, ripe fruit. If you can find it!

biffbelvin

It's really easy for bits of Dried fruit to get stuck in your teeth/mouth so it's important to rinse/clean your mouth after eating. Since dried fruit is quite acidic it will corrode your teeth (hence tooth sensitivity) and feed bacteria, compounding the problem further.

Cirion

Dried fruits are murder for your teeth. In my experience at least. In particular my experience is with raisins. I do a little better if I dilute them in something else, but taking a straight handful of raisins? My teeth are gonna be hurting guaranteed.

Inaut

The only dried fruit I eat are dates and the odd time figs. Iranian dates and dark chocolate----da best combo

OP
G

Gone Peating

Dried fruits are murder for your teeth. In my experience at least. In particular my experience is with raisins. I do a little better if I dilute them in something else, but taking a straight handful of raisins? My teeth are gonna be hurting guaranteed.

I just experienced tooth sensitivity last night

I'm probably gonna ditch the dried fruit as a daily staple

Cirion

Yeah and my last dentist visit showed some concerns and now they are wanting to fill a couple teeth. I am now following some precautionary protocols (xylitol, more vigorous mouth washes with chlorine dioxide etc) and have brought the sensitivity down though. My teeth still hate me if I'm not careful what I eat though.

ddjd

I seem to remember that Ray frowns on dried fruit. And I think the reason was histamine, as mentioned upthread.

Dried fruit is somewhat denatured. Always better to have fresh, ripe fruit. If you can find it!
dried apricots have a lot of potassium, very good source

Medjool dates (with a cup of coffee) with milk & maple syrup is just heavenly :smug::smuggrin: