Are There Any Concerns About Dried Fruit?

mrchibbs

Dates, dried figs are the foods of the gods.

In North Africa they often coat the dried figs in olive oil before eating them at room temp. Wonderful.

And yes, with coffee it's an amazing breakfast and start to the day.

thomas00

dried fruits become higher in fermentables, you can look at the fodmap website for comparisons with fresh fruit

so increase risk in digestive upset

mrchibbs

dried fruits become higher in fermentables, you can look at the fodmap website for comparisons with fresh fruit

so increase risk in digestive upset

That's not been my experience. Dried fruits feel like very very ripe fruits to me.
The oil technique I mention above seems to help with the digestion.

serling78

I've been eating dried figs for a couple weeks now and they definitely cause constipation for me. Which is annoying because naturally if you Google figs and constipation every result is lazily touting dried figs as the ultimate solution to fix constipation (due to the fiber).

Not sure if it's the fiber itself or even the iron content that results in the constipation. Iron normally makes my ultra sensitive bowels go into freak out mode.

RealNeat

I feel worse when I eat too much dried fruits. My teeth get sensitive and I get more gassy.

I've recently discovered that it might be because they are quite higher in histamine than fresh fruits. Other factors are more concentrated sugars and non hydrated fibers which can be harder to digest.

However if you don't feel any adverse effects from them, enjoy your diet, you're lucky!
i have the same complaints. especially unripe dried fruit like mango. I do eat a lot of dates though. Tooth sensitivity may indicate a crack in the tooth, the pressure changes inside the tooth because of the concentration of sugar in the food.

Andy316

I get itchy scalp followed by some hairloss eating any dried fruit ( with the exception of macadamia nuts). I wonder if its due to high histamine.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I get itchy scalp followed by some hairloss eating any dried fruit ( with the exception of macadamia nuts). I wonder if its due to high histamine.
This happened to me today and I think it was from dried apples. Edit: the itchy scalp.