Are There Any Cases Where Cyproheptadine Lead To Weight LOSS In Obesity?

YourUniverse

Since cypro lowers stress hormones, and most people whom take cypro are stressed out, it makes sense that it would cause weight gain.

Obesity has many causal factors, no doubt. Theoretically though, if obesity were caused in certain instances by stress or emotional eating, could cypro then not induce weight loss?

DrJ

I have been taking cypro every night in either 0.5mg or 1mg doses for the last 3 weeks and have lost more weight after ending my coconut milk saturated fat experiment. At 5 lb more weight loss from cypro over 3 weeks, unless the coconut fat effect was carrying over somehow. But I have been also eating worse in where I haven't always been making my lunches due to long work hours and stress, so eat out 2-3 times more per week (a cheese quessadilla usually). I think taking it right before bed helps to avoid dealing with the increased hunger.

If my understanding is right, it takes the presence of cortisol and/or insulin to store fat, and especially cortisol for abdominal and visceral fat. So if suppressing cortisol with cypro, one should be reducing abdominal and visceral fat if you can keep your insulin levels reasonable, which I have been trying to do by taking more small sugar doses throughout the day at hourly intervals, even on the days when I eat out and I'm worried about excess calories. I notice that taking more sugar at regular intervals makes me generally more hungry overall, but I seem to be burning it. One thing I noticed with cypro is that the top center of my belly - right under the rib cage - got flatter, and the line down the center of my stomach became more pronounced, especially at the 'top' under the rib cage where it always seemed to stick out a bit. Also, mood is better during the day. I don't see why cypro couldn't help weight loss if you try to also manage the insulin levels, i.e. keep insulin roughly constant, so careful with the starches. I'm guessing the hunger it induces would probably only be a problem if you are hammering the starches and get the insulin effect.

DaveFoster

No. It affects the CNS disproportionately moreso than its peripheral effects and will stimulate the appetite more than the metabolic rate.

Herbie

While taking cyproheptadine, a person will probably put on some weight because those food cravings are powerful but its afterwards the weight loss or better still a more desirable body composition and aesthetics from being healthier which is what people really want not just weight loss which comes from the beneficial effects that linger after stopping the use of cyproheptadine in my experience.

The number 1 eating disorder in Australia is binge eating, possibly the same in the USA (Australia being the unofficial 51st state.)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals