Are the ingredients in this gelatin any good?

southcesar

Where I live (Brazil) it is very difficult to find cheap gelatin without ascorbic acid and artificial sweeteners. I came across this product that caught my attention for not having either of these two ingredients.

GELATINA CEREJA QUALIMAX 1KG (cherry jelly)​

Ingredients:
Sugar, gelatin, salt, acidulant (fumaric acid), acidity regulator (sodium citrate), flavoring and artificial coloring
(bordeaux red).

At first it seems to be quite OK. This gelatin also has 1.4g of protein per 18g (one tablespoon) of gelatin. But I've never heard of fumaric acid and sodium citrate. Are they peaty?

I looked at the fumaric acid wikipedia page and two things caught my attention:

"Fumaric acid was developed as a medicine to treat the autoimmune condition psoriasis in the 1950s in Germany as a tablet containing 3 esters, primarily dimethyl fumarate, and marketed as Fumaderm by Biogen Idec in Europe. Biogen would later go on to develop the main ester, dimethyl fumarate, as a treatment for multiple sclerosis. In patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, the ester dimethyl fumarate (BG-12, Biogen) significantly reduced relapse and disability progression in a phase 3 trial. It activates the Nrf2 antioxidant response pathway, the primary cellular defense against the cytotoxic effects of oxidative stress.[12]"

"Fumaric acid is used in the manufacture of polyester resins and polyhydric alcohols and as a mordant for dyes. When fumaric acid is added to their feed, lambs produce up to 70% less methane during digestion.[13]"

Last edited:
Wikipedia also says this about furmeric acid….

“It is "practically non-toxic" but high doses are probably nephrotoxic after long-term use.”

I wouldn’t eat the gelatin just because of the red food dye….

“Another dye controversial in scientific circles is bordeaux red, synthesized from coal tar. Some time ago this dye aroused controversy about its toxicity in laboratory animals, and its use was prohibited in some countries; however, it is still used extensively in others, for instance, in Brazil (MEINICKE, 2008; NI; WANG; KOKOT, 2009).”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom