Are the detectors that stores use at the entrance safe ? Is the type/dosages of radiation they emit a cause for concern ?

JamesGatz

I am sure most of us are familiar with these devices at the vast majority of stores -

HTB18GTaKpXXXXXbXFXXq6xXFXXXt.jpg

maxres2.jpg

I had thought they were fake shoplifting monitors when I was younger as a method to discourage shoplifting or even fake metal detectors because I had never seen them go off working at certain stores - when I think of stores like staples that don't have security tags on their products like clothes I thought what purpose could it serve other than to look scary like a "Beware of Dog" sign people put to discourage home invasions

I notice I feel significantly worse when entering a store with these things installed but I feel ok in a mom and pop store- but to be honest I cannot really tell whether it is the detectors themselves, the lighting, or the air quality that kills my mood

I came across this recently They seem to emit microwaves ?

"Both store owners and manufacturers of security devices lna that the lowlevel microwave systems are safe, saying the microwaves are of less intensity than ordinary AM radio waves. But some clerks and cashiers area whether the radiation that is emitted is harzardous to their health and that of the public."
“Stores are reluctant to discuss Sensormatics because they don't want to encourage those who might want to beat the system,” he said, adding that “this creates suspicions.”

The system involves putting a tag on an article that, if not removed by a sales clerk or cashier, activates an alarm bell or beeper through microwaves emitted by electronic devices positioned on the sides of an entrance

It replaces the traditional surveillance, in which costly security personnel mix in a crowd of shoppers or watch for shoplifters from behind two‐way mirrors and fake posts, Mr. St. Lawrence said.

Sensormatics has installed more than 9,000 microwave surveillance systems in the last several years, he said, most in the last three years “in the big cities, as well as Podunkville.”

Chain department‐store customers include Macy's, Gimbels, Bloomingdale's, Abraham & Straus, Korvettes, K‐Mart, Gertz, Orbach's and the Gap.

"“And we were told that the power levels were much lower than we previously estimated, or up to 10,000 times less than the microwave‐exposure guideline ,set by the Federal Government.” he said."

"
Those are actually antennas, and together with the anti-theft tag they form an Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) system. Broadly, there are three types of EAS that a shop may choose to use, and they are

• Electro-Magnetic Systems (EMS)
  • Acousto-Magnetic Systems (AMS)
  • Radio Frequency Systems (RFS), which also includes the Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID)
While the names of the systems may differ, essentially they all work in the same way. In very simple language, the antennas at the front of the shop continuously emit a radio signal in an area around them when they’re active. The emitted radio signals bounce around people and stuff before they are received by another antenna, sort of like a bat ‘seeing’ things by shrieking and listening for the reflected sound.

When these radio signals bounce off the anti-theft tags from earlier, which contains either metal strips (EMS and AMS) or a small circuit board (RF and RFID), the reflected signal will change and become different. This strange reflection will then be perceived by the antennas, which will activate an alarm. To prevent that from happening after purchase, these tags are either removed or disabled at the cashier, where, depending on the system type, a device will either saturate the tags with magnetism, or burn out the RF circuit."

My knowledge on electricity and magnetism is limited, is this cause for concern on influence on a metabolic rate and should it be avoided if one can choose to shop at smaller stores or buy their products online ?

Callmestar

The stress of worrying about stuff like this is probably going to do more damage than the EMF/radiation itself. It's literally everywhere to an extent and unavoidable. Obviously ideally we would avoid xrays/scans and keep away from Wifi / emfs at home, especially when sleeping. But other than that I can't see much point in dwelling on it. I used to be obsessed with stuff like this, as well as pollution, and it did me more harm than good constantly analysing and trying avoid these things.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

The stress of worrying about stuff like this is probably going to do more damage than the EMF/radiation itself. It's literally everywhere to an extent and unavoidable. Obviously ideally we would avoid xrays/scans and keep away from Wifi / emfs at home, especially when sleeping. But other than that I can't see much point in dwelling on it. I used to be obsessed with stuff like this, as well as pollution, and it did me more harm than good constantly analysing and trying avoid these things.
That is fair and I do agree that excessively worrying about minor things is sometimes a problem in itself - for this thread I am honestly not sure how much radiation it emits and if it is harmful thats why I make it - I think for minor things one should not worry but if something like this does harm I think maybe it is worth buying products at stores that don't have them

Whenever I walk into a store I do notice that security guards and greeters seem to be a little bit more stressed than other store employees and I notice they usually stand right next to these machines all day - I think delving into this more deeply can maybe make more users more aware of the type of damage their work environment may be causing

pauljacob

The detectors at the door are harmless, mainly because you're between them for a second. What gets me is the massive, storewide wifi radiation field in stores like Walmart, which is especially strong in the electronic department. I quickly get sick at Walmart, so I just grab what I came in for, and hightail it outa there quick as possible.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

The detectors at the door are harmless, mainly because you're between them for a second. What gets me is the massive, storewide wifi radiation field in stores like Walmart, which is especially strong in the electronic department. I quickly get sick at Walmart, so I just grab what I came in for, and hightail it outa there quick as possible.
Yes I agree! I was in Best Buy last month for a new laptop and got shot up from radiation by like 1000 TV's as soon as I went to the area - really stressed me out - I was thinking to myself how stressful or dangerous would it be to be working in the tech area of a store - probably even worse than being the cashier touching estrogenic receipt paper

opethfeldt

That is fair and I do agree that excessively worrying about minor things is sometimes a problem in itself - for this thread I am honestly not sure how much radiation it emits and if it is harmful thats why I make it - I think for minor things one should not worry but if something like this does harm I think maybe it is worth buying products at stores that don't have them

Whenever I walk into a store I do notice that security guards and greeters seem to be a little bit more stressed than other store employees and I notice they usually stand right next to these machines all day - I think delving into this more deeply can maybe make more users more aware of the type of damage their work environment may be causing
The security guards have a much more stressful job in general so that may be why they seem more on edge. Constantly alert and scanning for signs of shoplifting. It's a shame they're so vigilant and stressed to protect the assets of some corporation that would replace them in a heartbeat if it came down to it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom