Are Tanning Beds Good During Dark Winter?

Discussion in 'Light' started by cyclops, Dec 12, 2017.

1. alywest

alywest Member

Is it really the vitamin D or the lack of light reaching the eyes and skin that is the issue?

2. jitsmonkey

jitsmonkey Member

sun contact with skin stimulates steroid production
    its not just vitamin D. Especially for those with chronic illness
    significant sun exposure can be the most valuable medicine/supplement they get

3. mt_dreams

mt_dreams Member

your body stops producing vitamin d once it hits a threshold. so the problem with uvb bulbs is not vitamin d, but the extra radiation you get by too long of a session.. i worked with a doctor to get the correct dosage, and have access to an expensive light device only available via a prescription. in this case I don't think I would trust cheaper alternatives. i feel better with a uvb light than I do taking d supp. tanning beds are uva. some tanning beds having 5% or less uvb, but the gov has restrictions on uvb in tanning beds so a lot of them have taken that spectrum out of the bulbs.

if you get enough vitamin d in the summer, you can probably get away without producing it for 4-5 months. the same can't be said with visible light like the sun or incandescents which you need daily. get your vitamin d levels checked in january. if they are fine then you don't really need the extra hormone. just go with light therapy during the winter months.

from last week of oct to early feb there is no vitamin D production in the USA, including cali or florida. so in those places you're just getting uva & visible light during those months.

4. BrianF

BrianF Member

Tanning beds are a superb way to get vitamin d during winter.

You wont get any benefits for red or natural light but the vitamin d boost is second only to sunlight.