Are Tanning Beds Good During Dark Winter?

cyclops

In a place like the northeast US, are tanning beds a good thing to be using in the cold dark winters if not getting much sunlight?

Any particular things to look for in a tanning bed? Anything precautions to take?

alywest

I would go with a UVB light bulb that helps you produce vitamin D as well as plenty of red light, of course. I believe tanning beds have a lot of radiation. Try getting multiple bright incandescent heat lamps and use them at the same time for a stronger effect.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

I would go with a UVB light bulb that helps you produce vitamin D as well as plenty of red light, of course. I believe tanning beds have a lot of radiation. Try getting multiple bright incandescent heat lamps and use them at the same time for a stronger effect.

I should have posted that I do have a (small) red light and I do use it for a few minutes each day. There was a thread on here recently which touched on how using the red light too long is detrimental.

I was wondering if tanning beds could be of any use in addition to using red light. It seems like you're saying a combination of all 3 (red light, incandescent heat lamp light, and UVB tanning bed) may be most beneficial.

alywest

I'm not sure that tanning beds are safe, it might just be too much UVB at once. I would actually reverse it...up the red light to higher dosages for short periods of time and do a small lamp of UVB for the vitamin D. Incandescent heat bulb has a good amount of red light.

jitsmonkey

I should have posted that I do have a (small) red light and I do use it for a few minutes each day. There was a thread on here recently which touched on how using the red light too long is detrimental.

I was wondering if tanning beds could be of any use in addition to using red light. It seems like you're saying a combination of all 3 (red light, incandescent heat lamp light, and UVB tanning bed) may be most beneficial.

The more time you can spend exposed to your chicken/brooder/heat lamp the better.
It will be more accessible, cheaper than a tanning bed.

I have 4 in my bedroom and another 4 at my desk.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

The more time you can spend exposed to your chicken/brooder/heat lamp the better.
It will be more accessible, cheaper than a tanning bed.

I have 4 in my bedroom and another 4 at my desk.

Ok so it seems like a combination of red light and incandescent heat lamps are good then. I didn't know they had different effects. Guess I'll start with using both of those before considering tanning beds.

alywest

Ok so it seems like a combination of red light and incandescent heat lamps are good then. I didn't know they had different effects. Guess I'll start with using both of those before considering tanning beds.

Those won't affect vitamin D levels, though, so if you're hoping to increase d I would get a small uvb bulb (like they use in reptile terrariums). You're essentially getting the same spectrum from the red bulbs and the incandescent bulbs although I'm sure there are differences.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

I use a Sperti Lamp and supps for D in the winter.

Yea I've been supplementing Vitamin D too, but I have the feeling it's probably more beneficial to get it from actual light then a pill or potion.

alywest

Yea I've been supplementing Vitamin D too, but I have the feeling it's probably more beneficial to get it from actual light then a pill or potion.
Not necessarily. Some people can't even make d from light. I would actually go for Haidut's new d supplement than spend a wad of cash on a Sperti lamp (potions don't have radiation)

jitsmonkey

There are just as many people whose serum D levels don't rise with supps and only light improves it.
Don't make assumptions. Try it. I personally benefit from both supps and sperti. However both are brutally ineffective compared to the sun.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

There are just as many people whose serum D levels don't rise with supps and only light improves it.
Don't make assumptions. Try it. I personally benefit from both supps and sperti. However both are brutally ineffective compared to the sun.

I really gotta move somewhere warm and sunny at some point.

alywest

I really gotta move somewhere warm and sunny at some point.
I live in a sunny place and there is still a drastic cut in sunshine due to shorter days and less direct light. Not as bad as the Pacific NW where I used to live, though!

alywest

I'm not assuming, Sperti lamps emit radiation

OP
cyclops

cyclops

There are no latitudes in the continental US with adequate sunshine throughout the year.

Are you saying there is nowhere on the planet that has adequate sunshine for the humans that live there?

Might have to move to Venus then.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals