Are Starches Broken Down With α-amylase Generally OK?

Jacob28

I got 4g of alpha amylase and its very strong, I add maybe 50-100mg to 0.5kg of potatoes and it became watery, thin soup, almost sweet, smooth soup( even without blending up.
I cook it for about 30 min, then add enzyme, it quickly start to desintegrate, I cook it for next 30min to 1 hour.

I digest it so much better that regularally cooked starch.
Actually, it seems it is no longer starch, but dextrines, with almost no starch grains.

Wouldn't it be bad if I have 2-3 meals of potatoes with some rice, like 7-8 potatoes and 300-400g of rice broken down to simpler carbohydrate, if I tolerate it better that high amount of fruit or table sugar( even moderate amount of fructose causes a big stomach upset in my case)

What do you think about it?

milkboi

If it's helps your digestion I see no problem with it as a temporary measure. Just be aware that way of preparation probably spikes your blood sugar levels and therefore insulin like nothing else (although the potassium should help with that), so long-term the insulin spikes might be harmful.

OP
Jacob28

Jacob28

And what about ancient cultures eating lots of starch and not getting diabetes, like ancient Hawaiians, then seemed to be ecceptionally healthy, at least to discoverers, who first have seen them.

There ate crazy amounts of taro, esp fermented smooth poi, even 2000 of calories from taro, some cooked green bananas, sweet potatoes, cooked unripe breadfruits with protein like mostly lead fish, octopuses, oysters, mussels, shrimps, with coconuts and cooked taro leaves.
To me it apears very tasty, quite a shame parents ain't feeding their children like that anymore.
And why they consumed fruits mostly at unripe starchy state, cooked, despite of having access to ripe, sweet fruit?(!)

There would be probably no thyroid, gut or depression problems if people would ate lots of good ol' cheap potatoes and some fruit with plenty of protein, perhaps beef, liver and seafood, with coconut oil and some edible leaves.
But I guess it wouldn't pay off for many food concerns and big pharma...

Even dentists would go bankrupt

Last edited:

milkboi

Yes the foods you listed sound quite delicious and healthy. But those cultures didn't eat starch which was broken down by enzymes, which is just basically free glucose.

OP
Jacob28

Jacob28

Yes, youre certainly right, but perhaps at presense of potassium, which potatoes have a whole lotta, those blood sugar spikes well be reduced.

milkboi

Yes, youre certainly right, but perhaps at presense of potassium, which potatoes have a whole lotta, those blood sugar spikes well be reduced.

Yep, sure, and if this method of preparation decreases production of endotoxin it might even help with insulin sensitivity in a way. But I'd just keep the insulin concern in mind.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals