Are repressed memories real?

Peater

Inspired by the TRE thread, I've always wondered if there was anything to this or if it is just pop psychology. Would love to see what people here think. Can't believe i never thought to ask until now.

JCastro

Yes. I have observed people do (or their psyche `doesʼ it to them) all of the following:

• Completely deny that something awful happened to them in their childhood when several people around them witnessed it and remember. I wonder what is the degree of defense mechanism difference: denial as an emotional defense vs. neurological repression/silencing of memory retrieval where they aren't even defensive, but physically cannot remember without some kind of therapeutic retrieval help/hypnosis/EMDR.

• Alter memories to the extent that it makes them look better for bad things they have done to other people. They seem to genuinely believe in these modified (and unrealistic) versions of events and are shocked and appalled when those memories are challenged. Pseudo-repression?

• Alter memories to the extent that it spares them humiliation or shame from the true events. There is a script-like rearrangement of what was done to whom so that they cease to be the victim in their version of events and instead are either a bystander or a righteous defender. Again, a seeming genuine belief in their false version with no sign of nervousness or twinge of lying.

“Controlling unwanted memories was associated with increased dorsolateral prefrontal activation, reduced hippocampal activation, and impaired retention of those memories.”
“Both prefrontal cortical and right hippocampal activations predicted the magnitude of forgetting. These results confirm the existence of an active forgetting process and establish a neurobiological model for guiding inquiry into motivated forgetting.”

“When people encounter cues that remind them of an unwanted memory and they consistently try to prevent awareness of it, the later recall of the rejected memory becomes more difficult.”
“The forgetting increases [each time] the memory is avoided, resists incentives for accurate recall and is caused by processes that suppress the memory itself. These results show that executive control processes not uniquely tied to trauma may be a viable model for repression.”

“High autonomic arousal during free association predicts forgetting, with activation of conflict-related and deactivation of memory-related brain regions...during repression, explicit memory systems are down-regulated by the anterior cingulate cortex.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals