Are Probiotics Worth A Shot?

Dante

For what's it worth, before i was into this health stuff, i was prescribed doxycline for acne by a derm. I took it for 2-3 months. After 2nd month , it was as if my gut tore apart. Started having diarrhea and fatigue ( i had the digestion of steel prior to this event so i couldn't identify what was the cause). Didn't know mass bacterial killing can cause opportunistic bacterial overgrowth. Went to a gastro MD, was prescribed VSL#3 (bifidobacteria based probiotic) ,took around 2-3 packs (a single pack contains 10 tablets ) and felt great relief . You can search VSL#3 on pubmed . It has decent research backing it and it's patented tech makes sure the germs reach colon ( atleast that's what they say).

OP
N

Nstocks

450 BILLION bacteria!

Most are below 20 Billion.

My main concern is bloating (even before Peat, on Paleo I was just as bloated, but a lot leaner)...

Do you still take it and feel good? It's very easy to get, Amazon sell it, though they apparently need to be kept chilled so probably best to order direct.

Last edited:

Dante

450 BILLION bacteria!

Most are below 20 Billion.

My main concern is bloating (even before Peat, on Paleo I was just as bloated, but a lot leaner)...

Do you still take it and feel good? It's very easy to get, Amazon sell it!
No,it was a one time therapeutic tool and it was prescribed by a really good gastro MD (according to my opinion). It can cause bloating and loose stools initially as the bacteria ecosystem change(written on the prescription) .I wanted to point out the pit falls of long term antibiotic therapy which happened in my case as some people go overboard with being germ free. I can't give advice on whether someone should take it or not.

OP
N

Nstocks

VSL3 came today, direct and shipped with ice pack.

I'm going to take one sachet per day for 3 days and if there's no side effects (more bloating or gas) I'll take the recommended 2 sachets per day (900 Billion CFU) until the sachets run out (20in total)

What's the recommended time of day to take these? Also, two doses or one huge dose?

OP
N

Nstocks

After taking 20 sachets I DO FINALLY feel less bloated!

On top of that, after spending 8 years in education etc. I have finally landed my first job in Architecture!

Altering diet slightly (we only have one break) but I feel a lot leaner and my stomach will be flat in a month or so! Next is more protein and start to exercise.

I'll probably take more VSL3 early next year to keep things in better function.

Dante

After taking 20 sachets I DO FINALLY feel less bloated!

On top of that, after spending 8 years in education etc. I have finally landed my first job in Architecture!

Altering diet slightly (we only have one break) but I feel a lot leaner and my stomach will be flat in a month or so! Next is more protein and start to exercise.

I'll probably take more VSL3 early next year to keep things in better function.
@Nstocks , nice man , happy to see VSL#3 helped someone else but don't overdo it. You won't want too many bacteria in small intestine (good or bad), bacteria should stay only in the colon. Just take one capsule per day , i think you have got the sachet one which is far more potent but requires a med prescription in a lot of places

OP
N

Nstocks

In the end I went for VSL3. I take a months worth every 6 months or so. Very good in my opinion

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut would you mind chiming in with your expertise on your thoughts on this this VSL3 probiotic? From memory I don't remember you or RP strongly advocating any probiotics, but I've seen a few people quote good reports from this product.

VSL#3 Poly-biotic Food Supplement - 450 Billion Live Bacteria

I personally don't like supplementing with bacteria and the only type that may be worth a shot are products with phages. There is a product Peat mentions called FlorAssist by LEF and if you Google it you will find where to buy it.

RisingSun

I personally don't like supplementing with bacteria and the only type that may be worth a shot are products with phages. There is a product Peat mentions called FlorAssist by LEF and if you Google it you will find where to buy it.

Would it be wise to only use probiotics through enemas to ensure they reach the colon only and don't cause SIBO?

OP
N

Nstocks

Life Extension with Phage are doubler capsules to ensure they reach the colon.

ddjd

Haven't tried probiotics, but I have a plan if need be to treat my CFS and fibro. Ray recommends antibiotics, and not all antibiotics have the same effects. Minocycline acts more on the nervous system, while doxycycline penetrates into the tissues less than mino, but more than tetracycline.

Erythromycin is another that Peat recommends. For gut issues, he's recommended me a course of tetracycline and erythromycin; he did not say the duration or dose. Generally he likes 1/4 dose or 1/2 dose to start.
im dealing with a urinary tract infection at the moment and ive been taking around 250mg (400,000iu) of penicillin VK around 3 times a day.

do you know if it's ok to switch to a different antibiotic, like minocycline, or do I have to leave a few days between taking them?

peat also mentioned erythromycin when I asked him

RisingSun

im dealing with a urinary tract infection at the moment and ive been taking around 250mg (400,000iu) of penicillin VK around 3 times a day.

do you know if it's ok to switch to a different antibiotic, like minocycline, or do I have to leave a few days between taking them?

You probably should.

Penicillin has been around for so long that most all bacteria have become resistant to it.

If you want to stay in the penicillin family at least pick Augmentin.

For a UTI couple it with Azythromycin or Doxicycline

ddjd

You probably should.

Penicillin has been around for so long that most all bacteria have become resistant to it.

If you want to stay in the penicillin family at least pick Augmentin.

For a UTI couple it with Azythromycin or Doxicycline
just started on minocycline today, thanks for the suggestions

DaveFoster

Doctors frequently prescribe more than one antibiotic concomitantly. The literature shows that a probiotic, when administered during a trial of antibiotics, diminishes the likelihood of developing a C. diff infection.

Last edited:

golder

Apologies in advnace if it's a stupid question, but I've just had some Biosporin arrive. It appears that there's a small amount of compressed brown powder in a seperated compartment in the top of the ampule, in addition to the sweet liquid in the bottle. I've gone through 7+ Google pages and I can't find any info on it anywhere. I've never seen anything packaged in this way and I'm not sure why it's not already mixed, but I'm assuming you supposed to pour this compressed powder into the liquid and vigorously shake it?