Are Pregnenolone And Its Metabolites Minor Stress Hormones?

X3CyO

I understand the difference between peat, and mainstream science in regards to what is good and bad hormonally, but now entering the gray area.

Cortisol is good in inconsistent acute amounts, but not chronic, while progesterone is its complete opposite.

If taken in excess, progesterone and such leads to cancer, just as the opposite does if elevated chronically.

Could this be because progesterone and such, are in their own ways mildly catabolic hormones?

I say this in my own understanding that growth is just an acclimation to a stressor, and these compounds lead to growth in their own ways seperate from typical muscle anabolism associated with testosterone.

This, and because they seem to suppress testosterone the same as cortisol if the normal flow of hormones is not disrupted through use of downstream hormones.

I wonder if the cortisol increase associated with overdoses of these compounds sometimes occurs in order to prevent the body from developing cancerous growths (ironically), and damages tissues so that there is a substrate to grow off of.

Tl;dr,

Are pregnenolone, progesterone, and other downstream hormones mildly catabolic as well as strongly anabolic as to damage, to then grow an organism effectively in the face of extreme caloric/nutritional/optimal bodily function/low stress?

I personally cant seem to think of someone who would grow indefinitely, albeit in a healthy manner, without some sort of stressor being applied. (If I understand correctly, these hormones lead to constant growth of sorts.)

Also, phone autocorrect; can someone change the title to: Are pregnenolone and its metabolites minor stress hormones?

paymanz

in one ray interviews with danny roddy he mentioned that in "an perfect environment the organism doesnt need ant steroids..." or something like that.

but testosterone also falls in same category i think.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I understand the difference between peat, and mainstream science in regards to what is good and bad hormonally, but now entering the gray area.

Cortisol is good in inconsistent acute amounts, but not chronic, while progesterone is its complete opposite.

If taken in excess, progesterone and such leads to cancer, just as the opposite does if elevated chronically.

Could this be because progesterone and such, are in their own ways mildly catabolic hormones?

I say this in my own understanding that growth is just an acclimation to a stressor, and these compounds lead to growth in their own ways seperate from typical muscle anabolism associated with testosterone.

This, and because they seem to suppress testosterone the same as cortisol if the normal flow of hormones is not disrupted through use of downstream hormones.

I wonder if the cortisol increase associated with overdoses of these compounds sometimes occurs in order to prevent the body from developing cancerous growths (ironically), and damages tissues so that there is a substrate to grow off of.

Tl;dr,

Are pregnenolone, progesterone, and other downstream hormones mildly catabolic as well as strongly anabolic as to damage, to then grow an organism effectively in the face of extreme caloric/nutritional/optimal bodily function/low stress?

I personally cant seem to think of someone who would grow indefinitely, albeit in a healthy manner, without some sort of stressor being applied. (If I understand correctly, these hormones lead to constant growth of sorts.)

Also, phone autocorrect; can someone change the title to: Are pregnenolone and its metabolites minor stress hormones?

Pregnenolone inhibits CRH release more potently than any other substance and CRH is the beginning of the stress cascade.
Pregnenolone Is The Most Potent Inhibitor Of The Stress Signal (CRH)
Pregnenolone May Protect Cognition From Damage By Stress

I am not aware of any evidence that pregnenolone and progesterone are "growth" hormones. Estrogen, HGH, prolactin, IGF, and even DHEA and testosterone are true growth hormones. Pregnenolone and progesterone oppose all of these when taken in high enough doses. When you are young (before puberty) you produce primarily pregnenolone and progesterone. That is why young boys and girls have very similar sexual phenotype. Upon hitting puberty you start pumping out DHEA and T (if you are a male) and estrogen (if you are a female) and all of other pituitary crap starts breaking loose. So, I think pregnenolone and progesterone are child hormones and oppose undifferentiated growth.

DaveFoster

Tl;dr,

It's difficult to disseminate progesterone's effects from scientific studies, as many use progestins as surrogates.