Are Oysters Safe To Eat?

jpgio

Ive wanted to try incorporating oysters into my diet but I’ve always worried about getting sick/an infection after eating them. How safe are oysters to eat?

boris

No problem, just cook them and you won't have to worry ;).

You can catch hepatitis A from raw shellfish (not sure about fish). But I think the risk is pretty low. I never heard of a case.

Beastmode

Safe enough for our toddler to eat them weekly. Baked well in butter.

You're more liklye to catch a good night's sleep afterward :)

mrchibbs

Ive wanted to try incorporating oysters into my diet but I’ve always worried about getting sick/an infection after eating them. How safe are oysters to eat?

No reason to eat them raw. Get smoked oysters or cook them into a stew.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Read once that they are full with micro plastic bits.
Any thoughts?

mrchibbs

Read once that they are full with micro plastic bits.
Any thoughts?

Don't want to scare you but those micro plastic bits (nanoparticles of various origins) are in everything we eat and use.

Elie

Forum Supporter
everything??? Milk? Fruit? Root veggies? I thought they accumulated mostly in fish and other seafood...

mrchibbs

everything??? Milk? Fruit? Root veggies? I thought they accumulated mostly in fish and other seafood...

Yeah, Ray wrote a newsletter last year covering particles, and basically they're in everything. Plastics, soot, lead etc. accumulate in the environment and become part of soils, there are nanoparticles in milk, either from the cow or from the production process. It's awful.

The only thing to do is invest in the best quality food you can find. (small-scale there is less risk for these particles I guess)

OP
jpgio

jpgio

Came the conclusion I am too scared to eat them. Definitely an irrational phobia for sure but can’t get over it freaked out about the vibrio thing

mrchibbs

Came the conclusion I am too scared to eat them. Definitely an irrational phobia for sure but can’t get over it freaked out about the vibrio thing

It's a shame because they're probably the most nutrient-rich food on earth