Are organic cows vaccinated? what are vaccine requirements/restrictions for organic cows and animals?

Dr. B

organic as in usda certified organic in the US, for the most part means the animals are free of pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics. they can still be given things like organic soy/corn/wheat items as feed. However one thing you never hear mentioned is vaccines. are organic cows free of vaccines? are they allowed to receive only certain vaccines, or can they receive any vaccines?

organic as in usda certified organic in the US, for the most part means the animals are free of pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics. they can still be given things like organic soy/corn/wheat items as feed. However one thing you never hear mentioned is vaccines. are organic cows free of vaccines? are they allowed to receive only certain vaccines, or can they receive any vaccines?
It looks like they can be vaccinated.

Attachments

• 20210704_134135.jpg
    20210704_134135.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 17

Missenger

Autistic cows. This article has nothing to do with bovines but I thought a little bit of it was a fun read.

Oxytocin: Another Human/Cow Connection
Researchers have found that the stress level of a cow impacts its lactation process. The hormone oxytocin, which is excreted from a gland at the base of the cow’s brain, regulates its stress response. Oxytocin causes muscle cells to contract squeezing milk into the milk ducts within the udder and moving it towards the teat. However, if a cow is agitated, it “may have a disrupted oxytocin release,” which can cause inconsistent milk letdown (“Cow Behavior and Milk Letdown,” 2014). Scientists expanded their research on oxytocin to study its significance in human behavior. They found that this hormone is used in social recognition, bonding, and establishing trust. To determine if oxytocin plays a significant role in autism, scientists conducted a study on blood oxytocin levels in autistic children. They concluded that low levels of oxytocin could lead to social dysfunction and behavioral problems. (“Plasma Oxytocin Levels in Children,” 2014).
A team at Yale University analyzed the effects of a new oxytocin nasal spray on social functioning of autistic children. They reported that the medication facilitated social functioning. Other experiments using animal models have shown that the medication promotes social behavior and bonding. With a little help from a few run-of-the-mill dairy cows, the role of oxytocin in social behaviors and anxiety is now paving the way towards new treatments for autism.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dr. B

It looks like they can be vaccinated.
that sucks.
btw, off topic but do you know what guests are on here? ive seen some posts by users and under their username instead of "member" it says "guest". I think you cant click on their profile either. how do you make a guest account, i dont remember there being any option to

that sucks.
btw, off topic but do you know what guests are on here? ive seen some posts by users and under their username instead of "member" it says "guest". I think you cant click on their profile either. how do you make a guest account, i dont remember there being any option to
That ia strange. Maybe you should ask Charlie or Blossom about that?

Guests are people who do not log in. They are able to read and post content under "guest.". I think there would be fewer trolls invading our space, if posting credentials were compulsory.

Nfinkelstein

they can be vaxed and have organic status. Yet some producers do not vax. You can only know by dealing directly with the producer.