Are Mushrooms Better Than Carrots?

DavidGardner

@DavidGardner To me they feel like they'd be a bit abrasive to the intestine lining. That would lead to serotonin production if I'm not mistaken.

That might be. They seem remove some of the mucosal lining. My guts are a little more more impervious than most. I’ve always been able to handle atrocious amounts of fiber without complaint.

L

Lord Cola

How do mushrooms compare with carrots in keeping the gut relatively sterile? I had some well-boiled mushrooms for the first time the other day and had some serious bowel movement in the form of diarrhea. Carrots don't do this although they seem pretty good at keeping endotoxin down for me.

Anybody have insights on what aspect of mushrooms may have caused the diarrhea? I like the idea of mushrooms being beneficial beyond the antibacterial function, unlike carrots, which I feel set me back ever so slightly every time I eat them.

Inaut

Lately I've been making white button mushroom soup (pressure cooking it) with the added benefit of chaga mushroom. Good comment regarding heavy metal accumulation...Theres always a negative side to everything :( Anyways, I prefer it to carrot fiber as the aromatase inhibition is a huge plus. My morning wood agrees with that comment..... Isn't a large percentage insoluable fibre? Wouldnt that mean that most would just pass through the digestive tract and end up in the stool anyways?

L

Lord Cola

Lately I've been making white button mushroom soup (pressure cooking it) with the added benefit of chaga mushroom. Good comment regarding heavy metal accumulation...Theres always a negative side to everything :( Anyways, I prefer it to carrot fiber as the aromatase inhibition is a huge plus. My morning wood agrees with that comment..... Isn't a large percentage insoluable fibre? Wouldnt that mean that most would just pass through the digestive tract and end up in the stool anyways?
I'm loath to get graphic, but in my limited experience, the mushroom was not insoluble in my stomach. I ate some carrot salad the day before I ate mushrooms. When I went to the bathroom for the first time after eating mushrooms, which was many hours after I ate the mushrooms, I saw little bits of undigested carrot remaining from the previous day, but mushrooms were not distinguishable from the rest of the matter that was not carrot.

I did boil the mushrooms for about 3 hours before eating them.

Inaut

Studies say that overall risk of As,Cd, and Pb intake from mushroom consumption is low in the U.S. (i'm assuming Canada as well)

Daniil

Please tell how to eat carrots properly? Can you give a link to this topic, I can't find it? I usually grind it finely.

I live in Russia and our mushrooms are quite expensive, and there are no bamboo shoots at all. Does anyone have any ideas about where else to get fiber from? I don't want to use bran because of the phytic acid. Some kind of grass is possible, but I'm not sure if it's not treated with chemicals.