Are Mushrooms Better Than Carrots?

Ron J

Hello everyone
From what I've read, it seems that the fiber in carrots can't be over-chewed and shouldn't be cut in certain way. I don't remember which thread, but after reading the suggestions in that thread, I stopped shredding the carrots(before I stopped consuming carrots due to the carotene content) and started using a potato peeler to cut them lengthwise. If the fiber in carrots shouldn't be excessively chewed, would it cause discomfort in the stomach, therefore increase serotonin? Or is some abrasion necessary to remove bacteria/plaque on the lining(if that's a thing)? Unlike carrots, cooked mushrooms feel soft.

RobertJM

I dunno about others but I find I have to chew carrots or at least wrap them with salvia in my mouth, because if I swallow them as Ray recommends (hardly chewed), they go down dry and if they don’t cause me to gag, they will cause very slow bowel transit time. Which, for me, is counterproductive. Wrapped in saliva (which requires a certain amount of chewing at least), they digest much better for me.

Mushrooms are just great food for gut bugs. I get all kinds of weird stuff going on down there when mushrooms are eaten. Still confused why they are recommended.

Bamboo shoots are amazing, but very expensive.

TeaRex14

They're probably about the same, in regards to their ability to eliminate estrogen. Couple things to keep in mind about carrots. One, you typically don't absorb much carotene from a raw carrot, it needs to be cooked first before the carotene has much bioavailability. Secondly, they make different colored carrots. Carotene makes the bright orange hue in the carrot, this stands to reason that the pale whitish carrots and the purple carrots have less beta carotene in them. Finally, good thyroid function and/or optimal thyroid supplementation will efficiently convert beta carotene into retinol.

YourUniverse

I view mushrooms as being a little bit better than carrots, but being evened out by extra prep time requirements and cost.

No carotene, but have to be cooked, and more expensive (which I guess would vary by location)

OP
R

Ron J

I'd like to know if the fiber in mushrooms works as good after several days in the fridge. From what I recall, once peeled, carrots must be eaten the same day or lose effectiveness.
I try to reduce carotene by rinsing the peeled carrots. The other day I looked for white carrots, but didn't find any.
@Bobber Anderson I also have the same issue and it takes too long to eat 3 carrots. If I ate the same amount of mushrooms, I'd be able to consume them in several minutes.

Momado965

I get similar effect. In TCM, Unani and Arabic medicine, mushroom are cooling (yin). Carrots are warming (yang).

David PS

Mushrooms need to be organic. They are very good at taking up whatever is in the soil, including heavy metals such as mercury and lead. You could theoretically ingest too many of these metals if you eat cultivated mushrooms on a regular basis, but I don't think there's any one answer to how much is too much.

OP
R

Ron J

Do carrots lose effectiveness over time? I can't find the post, but someone quoted Ray Peat saying something about his gut bacteria eating the carrot. I'll see if I can find it, but if you know what I'm referring to, let me know.

Lynne

Do carrots lose effectiveness over time? I can't find the post, but someone quoted Ray Peat saying something about his gut bacteria eating the carrot. I'll see if I can find it, but if you know what I'm referring to, let me know.

He mentioned it in the recent One Radio Network interview.

i had some mushroom powder tested. It has 1.25 micrograms per gram of arsenic. Not sure that this is a) problem with this material or what I think more likely b) mushrooms contain arsenic in many cases.

I think California soil has arsenic and this is what enters the food chain via rice, and I think many mushrooms, organic or not. Just my thought.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...c-content-of-some-edible-mushroom-species.pdf

I think cadmium might be a bigger problem but this sample had almost negligible cadmium. But again I doubt it's any better with organic mushrooms. I do use organic mushrooms but not sure it's really better in terms of having lower heavy metals.

OP
R

Ron J

If carrots lose effectiveness(perhaps mushrooms as well, in addition to the bad heavy metals mentioned), then I may just get enough fiber for estrogen detox and forget about carrots/mushrooms. I don't mind the prep time of carrots, but add the time it takes me to eat it all, and it ends up being too much time wasted. I hope there is something as good and more convenient out there.

OP
R

Ron J

"He mentioned it in the recent One Radio Network interview."
So I found the thread and after reading Ella's post, I think I'll get enough fiber for estrogen removal, and make sure my transit time and nutrition is optimal. Do any of you get benefits from carrots after using it for many months/years?

DavidGardner

"He mentioned it in the recent One Radio Network interview."
So I found the thread and after reading Ella's post, I think I'll get enough fiber for estrogen removal, and make sure my transit time and nutrition is optimal. Do any of you get benefits from carrots after using it for many months/years?

I get constipated if I quit eating them, which didn’t happen before I started eating them daily. So I think my body has adapted because for me they are laxative.

churchmouth

Bamboo shoots feel the most potent, then carrots and lastly mushrooms.

Potent in terms of bulking up/ presence in the fecals imo

OP
R

Ron J

Mushrooms directly lower aromatase though.
Yes. I've consumed white button around the time that I had joint pain(from lower estrogen), but other substances contributed as well.
I wonder if carrots stop working soon after and the positive effects are from lower estrogen, given its fiber content.

OP
R

Ron J

@DavidGardner To me they feel like they'd be a bit abrasive to the intestine lining. That would lead to serotonin production if I'm not mistaken.
@churchmouth bamboo would be less time consuming, but I can only find them in cans, and they end up adding more to the monthly bill.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals