Are "Crown Prince Natural, Whole Oysters, Packed In Water" Any good and freeze-able?

YamnayaMommy

Yes, go to the canned seafood area of your local full-service grocery. They will often have the "Polar" brand of boiled oysters, in water. In Chicago, Mariano's has their own house brand that is very inexpensive.

To help picky eaters or kids to eat oysters, make tuna/oyster salad. Drain oysters and mash them up with some drained canned tuna (solid, white, in water), and then add your own mayo (get three or four egg yolks, whisk together with coconut oil (warmed until liquid if necessary), or olive oil, or whatever [I recently made a batch using a blend of cocoa butter, coconut oil, and olive oil--it was OK at room temperature], and then some acid (lemon juice or vinegar), and whatever else you like--diced olives, capers, garlic, etc.

My 3 year old will gag if he eats oysters straight up, but he will blissfully eat five or six of them if they are prepared in a "tuna/oyster salad" as described above.

Doc Sandoz

I tried the water packed oysters, and don't care for them at all. Sticking with the olive oil

loess

I bought a case of those Crown Prince oysters packed in water. I don't know how to articulate it but something just tastes bland and "off" about them. Even tried frying them in butter. The smoked oysters in olive oil are much better. You can rinse most of the oil off of them with hot water. And, since they come in a smaller package, you don't end up throwing out half the can. I'd always open the can of the oysters in water, eat about half of them, would feel satiated, and then wouldn't feel like eating oysters again for a week or so - by which time the half of the can that I had "saved" didn't seem appetizing at all.

OP
Lenny

Lenny

I bought a case of those Crown Prince oysters packed in water. I don't know how to articulate it but something just tastes bland and "off" about them. Even tried frying them in butter. The smoked oysters in olive oil are much better. You can rinse most of the oil off of them with hot water. And, since they come in a smaller package, you don't end up throwing out half the can. I'd always open the can of the oysters in water, eat about half of them, would feel satiated, and then wouldn't feel like eating oysters again for a week or so - by which time the half of the can that I had "saved" didn't seem appetizing at all.
I see. Read more comments like this on iherb.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals