Are Black Men More Androgenic On Average Compared To Other Races?

Spud

Considering most African Americans have family who were slaves they probably are more androgenic because I read somewhere that the most muscular and ones with best genes were kept around for hard labour so androgenic genes were kept around while the bad genes were erased. But even just blacks overall do seem to be more androgenic.

Very true. That era is a good example of human mediated natural selection. Not only were those with the best genetics sold into slavery, the conditions on the boats were so bad that many died, leaving only the best of the best.

revenant

"Racial and ethnic variations in serum testosterone levels were investigated among a large sample of male Vietnam era veterans. Based on geometric means, significant average differences were found between 3,654 non-Hispanic white and 525 black individuals. The geometric mean for testosterone levels among 200 Hispanic individuals was similar to that of non-Hispanic white individuals. Regarding two other racial/ethnic groups (Asian/Pacific Islanders and Native Americans), no significant differences were found, due perhaps to small sample sizes. Results were interpreted as having considerable potential for explaining some of the race differences in the incidences of cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, and prostate cancer."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0039128X92900325

Inspired

"Racial and ethnic variations in serum testosterone levels were investigated among a large sample of male Vietnam era veterans. Based on geometric means, significant average differences were found between 3,654 non-Hispanic white and 525 black individuals. The geometric mean for testosterone levels among 200 Hispanic individuals was similar to that of non-Hispanic white individuals. Regarding two other racial/ethnic groups (Asian/Pacific Islanders and Native Americans), no significant differences were found, due perhaps to small sample sizes. Results were interpreted as having considerable potential for explaining some of the race differences in the incidences of cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, and prostate cancer."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0039128X92900325

Any more details from that study? It can be difficult to reach accurate conclusions when studying Veteran populations.

Atman

I love how nobody considers this discussion racist because "more androgenic" is considered a desirable trait.

Inspired

Thanks for the study!

Well, it is "racist", but it's always like that whenever you try to assume things about entire groups of people.

I see what you're saying though. The original poster sounds like they have perhaps a fascination for black people.

intotheether

Dayum a lot of racial stereotypes flying around lol.

I know it's light hearted and fun, but kinda funny reading as a person of colour myself, it was a ticking clock before someone mentioned chicken....god damn lol

Jing

Very true. That era is a good example of human mediated natural selection. Not only were those with the best genetics sold into slavery, the conditions on the boats were so bad that many died, leaving only the best of the best.
I also went to a school with lots of black people and the black people were by far much stronger than the white people, they also dominated at sports day, white people didn't have a chance lol

Spud

I love how nobody considers this discussion racist because "more androgenic" is considered a desirable trait.

At this point, no one has said anything prejudicial, so 'racist' is not how I would describe this thread. Genetic variance between races is just a fact of life and that is the main discussion point here.

bromuda

I think just looking at physical sports it's pretty obvious. American football, 100 meter dash, basketball, boxing.

soul_rebel

Most anecdotal evidence would suggest yes, black men are more androgenic. Which I think explains in some ways what they are generally good at (sports, muscularity, swagger, music) and what they are bad at (compliance, marrying, building wealth, crime) Not sure how serotonin is measure of criminality, what I would suggest factors like less wealth, combined with higher androgens, probably leads to more crime, as opposed to having wealth and high androgens.

testosterone.png

The below chart was talking about education and honor cultures. But there is a reason why women are doing better in school and graduating at higher rates in modern times:
fsoc-01-00001-g001.jpg

And another study conducted in the 80s or 90s on young males in Los Angeles, though this conclusion was that blacks have higher rates of prostate cancer due to higher testosterone:

Serum testosterone levels in healthy young black and white men. - PubMed - NCBI

"This report gives the results of assays of circulating steroid hormone levels in white and black college students in Los Angeles, CA. Mean testosterone levels in blacks were 19% higher than in whites, and free testosterone levels were 21% higher. Both these differences were statistically significant."

Hedgehog

for sure they are! i mean: more lean body mass, deeper voice, higher DHT, more relaxed/alpha attitude, chilled with bouts of aggressions. and for sure bigger hang all indicate more androgens.
i know some girls who prefere the smell of black guys as more fresh/vivid...which has to be sth hormonal

It sounds like it's you who prefers the smell of black men.

Teres

The natural selection in the times of the slavery could serve as an argument if the question was - "Are African-American people generally fit?". It is a fact that the people who have led physically tasking lifestyle several generations in a row usually have high potential for physical development.

African-American people traditionally are known to be into some sports and they excel at them. This is a fact. Is it because they are racially superior as far as physical prowess is concerned, an idea I'm certain many people are fond of, or because these are the kind of activities many of them most often.. do well at and prioritize?

T

TheBeard

At this point, no one has said anything prejudicial, so 'racist' is not how I would describe this thread. Genetic variance between races is just a fact of life and that is the main discussion point here.

Racist doesn’t mean saying something negative about a race.
It’s the very action of postulating that there even are several races under the human specie.
Basically, just writing Black Men, which doesn’t define their color but their race, is racist.
Racism isn’t a bad thing, it’s a point of view, just like darwinism

ShotTrue

They can do bigger weights with less Muscle And Are more powerfull. My country Is good example of how blacks Are used for sport success. They also can do good on bad food And still look fine.
A sign of high DHT in my opinion, dht leads to strength and myofibrillar gains, a more athletic and efficient muscle

ShotTrue

If you ignore the point of race, and think about diet, ecosystem, and human culture you understand the differences in physical expression. A tribe of hunters who sprint after prey vs an agricultural tribe would explain a huge difference in physical makeup.

It's understood that in general in America African Americans make up a disportionate amount of high tier athletes. 72% of the population is white, only 13% black yet they make up a heavy amount of high earning team athletes. (and other stereotypes some can consider androgenic)