Are All Beef Fats Saturated? Scared Of All Those Grease

DevilHands

Hi guys, I am on a journey to fix my hair. And I think the key is trying to up my temp upong waking which I've still been struggling to do.

Yesterday, I just ate a corn fed rib eye steak. Yes, I know that its better to have it grassfed but I was eating out so I can't be picky with what I eat when I do that.

When the steak arrived, I noticed how greasy and fatty the steak is. I've log beef fat into cronometer, and saw that its supposedly "saturated fat". This got me confuse, does this mean that all those fat in my ribeye were actually safe to eat??

raypeatclips

Sounds delicious. You said it arrived so guessing you ate out? Think about the alternatives, deep fried chips, fried chicken, mayonnaise on top... You've got to eat something and steak is fine.

OP
D

DevilHands

Hi raypeatclips, yep. What I mean is I ate out with my family hehe... sorry. English isn't really my primary language.

Did Ray Peat say something about not consuming too much of it? Like... I just can't imagine how all those fat in the steak are actually safe to eat...

Should I also make a big fuss of it whether its grassfed or cornfed? Thanks!

raypeatclips

Hi raypeatclips, yep. What I mean is I ate out with my family hehe... sorry. English isn't really my primary language.

Did Ray Peat say something about not consuming too much of it? Like... I just can't imagine how all those fat in the steak are actually safe to eat...

Should I also make a big fuss of it whether its grassfed or cornfed? Thanks!

Your English is great, you also specifically said you had eaten out in your first post, I missed that first time.

He has said the fats in the ruminant animals such as beef and lamb are healthy, don't worry about it.

Yeah grass fed is better, I eat only grass fed meat now at home, but if you are going to a restaurant and worrying about grass fed you're not going to eat anything!

ddjd

Hi guys, I am on a journey to fix my hair. And I think the key is trying to up my temp upong waking which I've still been struggling to do.

Yesterday, I just ate a corn fed rib eye steak. Yes, I know that its better to have it grassfed but I was eating out so I can't be picky with what I eat when I do that.

When the steak arrived, I noticed how greasy and fatty the steak is. I've log beef fat into cronometer, and saw that its supposedly "saturated fat". This got me confuse, does this mean that all those fat in my ribeye were actually safe to eat??
The thing is all the fat is very estrogenic. That's where all the Estrogens are stored so best to avoid

OP
D

DevilHands

Do you mean fats in general or just fats in animal meat?

I mean like, coconut oil are not estrogenic right? Cause I've been using more of that lately.

schultz

Did Ray Peat say something about not consuming too much of it?

Ray said in a podcast one time when someone asked him what he ate in a day and one of the things he said "Steak... it was rib steak day". So apparently Ray has or had a rib steak day regularly, or it appears that way.

The actual quote (it was from a podcast) was this...

(someone asked him what he ate yesterday) "Steak, by chance, it happened to be rib steak day, and eggs, and lots of milk and coffee, orange juice and coke."

It does seem he specifically added the "by chance" part, as if to say "I don't eat steak everyday" or maybe I am reading into it too much, who knows.

Wagner83

Ray said in a podcast one time when someone asked him what he ate in a day and one of the things he said "Steak... it was rib steak day". So apparently Ray has or had a rib steak day regularly, or it appears that way.

The actual quote (it was from a podcast) was this...

(someone asked him what he ate yesterday) "Steak, by chance, it happened to be rib steak day, and eggs, and lots of milk and coffee, orange juice and coke."

It does seem he specifically added the "by chance" part, as if to say "I don't eat steak everyday" or maybe I am reading into it too much, who knows.
I understand it as if rib eye steak was a special treat that he particularly enjoys.

tara

Should I also make a big fuss ...?
Do you think making a big fuss will improve family relationships?
I'm with raypeatclips - grassfed is probably better, but not worth making a fuss about when you are eating out.

Like... I just can't imagine how all those fat in the steak are actually safe to eat...
Nothing is 100% safe.
So you are looking at alternatives, and my understanding is that beef fat is likely to be safer than most other animal fats. But that very large quantities may not be ideal for everyone.

You can help balance the amino acids in muscle meat by eating some gelatine with it or soon after.

I eat beef from time to time too. I don't trim all the fat off, but I don't go for extra fatty cuts, either.

schultz

I understand it as if rib eye steak was a special treat that he particularly enjoys.

Yah this might be the case, especially since he went of his way to say "by chance". I would consider going out for dinner a treat though since I do it like once a year lol.

kreeese

Saturated fat is the best thing for you I eat a ton of it....Stay away from pufas mono etc. you will always get a little but Stick to sat. fat which is incredible for your health

Pompadour

Conventional meat contains more of Omega-6 PUFAs, from here for example:
Meat quality and health implications of organic and conventional beef production. - PubMed - NCBI
"Meat fat from organic and summer finished cattle contained higher concentrations of conjugated linoleic acid, its precursor vaccenic acid and individual omega-3 fatty acids and had a lower ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids compared with non-organic and winter finished cattle respectively. The fat profile from summer finished organic beef aligns better to recommended dietary guideline including those for long chain omega-3 fatty acids compared with that from winter finished, non-organic steak."

So maybe it is better to eat fat meat when it is organic and to choose lean cuts when it is conventional.

Grass fed is always better, but even grain fed beef can be ok, as long as you aren't buying CAFO beef, especially, in the USA. They use a chemical called atrazine, which is very estrogenic, to fatten up and bloat up the cattle before slaughter, that way it seems that there is more meat, when, in fact, there is a lot of water in the meat due to the edema- promoting effects of estrogen. Not to mention the pesticides in the grains fed to the cattle, which will probably show up in the fat, along with the atrazine. Overall, eating beef fat from commercial american beef is something to avoid, I think.