Arachidonic Acid Cascade And Peat's Views

OP
J

Jack Roe

The problem is that on such a diet, one would very likely get the 1% en to 1.5% en LA+ALA that contemporary research suggests is necesary. On a 2000 calorie diet, that is between just over 2g and just under 3g of PUFA a day. I mentioned a diet consisting of whey protein isolate + sugar + vitamins + minerals to prove whether or not Peat is correct. We have plenty of people in the tech sector eating "soylent" which is basically protein powder + vitamins + minerals + oil + carbs, so this would basically be soylent minus the necessity of any fats, because fats are not biologically necessary, according to peat.

According to Peat, a person should be able to survive on the following:

Protein (amino acids istidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine.)
Sucrose
Vitamin A
B1 (thiamine)
B2 (riboflavin)
B3 (niacin)
B5 (pantothenic acid)
B6.
B7 (biotin)
B12.
Folic acid.
Choline
Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
Vitamin K
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sodium
Chloride
Magnesium
Iron
Zinc
Copper
Manganese
Iodine
Selenium
Molybdenum
Chromium

So, from these 38 substances (some of the B vitamins have multiple useful forms, and sucrose is glucose and fructose conjoined), it should be possible to survive. All Peat has said is that if we don't have any fat in the diet, we'll need more B6 and Zinc, tho he is not clear about _how much_.

Zinc and B6 and all of the minerals, really, are safe at 2x the RDA, and surely the metabolic rate is not _doubled_ by removing EFA.

So, take 2x RDA of all of the vitamins and minerals, 100g of whey isolate, and the rest as sucrose. Should work out, no? Just saying "whole foods are different" doesn't address the issue, Peat is not saying 'I don't really know what to eat, but I do know you don't need LA and ALA," he's saying that he knows what to eat, it's the standard diet minus all fat. And that's entirely possible to do these days, it's pretty easy.

So,

100g Whey Isolate - 440 calories
350g sugar - about 1400 calories of sugar
2x RDA Vitamins and Minerals

If more energy is required, simply increase the amount of sugar.

This is an experiment that could be done with rats, to determine if Peat is correct. Does anyone want to spring for some rats?