Applying Peat Principles To Low-Carb High-Saturated Fat: Incredible Results

OP
Jam

Jam

Sefton10

Been eating this way for a few days now and enjoying it. Going longer between meals feels very liberating and is a huge benefit for me. Roughly 150F, 150P and 200C, which is probably more carbs/protein than OP @Jam is doing. I find dairy fat by far the best along with extra cocoa butter - fatty meat just doesn't satiate me in the same way and too much gives me nausea. A favorite meal is fat free cottage cheese or Skyr with stewed apple and 50g of organic double cream, followed by warm semi-skimmed milk with cacao, cocoa butter and maple syrup. That will keep me going for 4-5 hours easy, which was impossible when I was eating higher carb/lower fat.

All I've done really is reduce carbs and replace with saturated fat. Primary foods are dairy, fruit, eggs, maple syrup, cocoa butter. One meal with a bit of fish/red meat, but been craving that much less. No starch at all. The odd bit of veg from cooked courgette and mushrooms. The occasional raw carrot with bone broth. Nutritional yeast for B vits, a magnesium supp and K2 every few days.

Interested now to see how this impacts on weight/body comp moving forward.

OP
Jam

Jam

Been eating this way for a few days now and enjoying it. Going longer between meals feels very liberating and is a huge benefit for me. Roughly 150F, 150P and 200C, which is probably more carbs/protein than OP @Jam is doing. I find dairy fat by far the best along with extra cocoa butter - fatty meat just doesn't satiate me in the same way and too much gives me nausea. A favorite meal is fat free cottage cheese or Skyr with stewed apple and 50g of organic double cream, followed by warm semi-skimmed milk with cacao, cocoa butter and maple syrup. That will keep me going for 4-5 hours easy, which was impossible when I was eating higher carb/lower fat.

All I've done really is reduce carbs and replace with saturated fat. Primary foods are dairy, fruit, eggs, maple syrup, cocoa butter. One meal with a bit of fish/red meat, but been craving that much less. No starch at all. The odd bit of veg from cooked courgette and mushrooms. The occasional raw carrot with bone broth. Nutritional yeast for B vits, a magnesium supp and K2 every few days.

Yeah I'm doing a bit less protein (130 or so) and much less carbs (roughly 75g mostly from fruit and honey). It's hard to get more carbs for me without overeating fruit or eating starch, which I'm avoiding. And too much sugar, honey, or maple syrup for me are nauseating.

Last edited:

yashi

Since this lower carb approach is using peat principles and ideas, I speculate on some things. For example:

We know that protein can lower blood sugar, so too much protein is probably gonna lead to brain fog or sluggishness or carb cravings. And Peat suggests atleast a 1:1 protein to carb ratio. So I I would think it would be ideal to keep protein as low as carbs or slightly lower with a max of roughly 100g each. So for non-athletes some like 80g-100g protein and 80-120g carbs seem reasonable on this approach (on like a ~1800-2300cal diet). There is obviously some leeway according to caloric needs.

Athletes then could scale their protein+carbs accordingly to activity.

I wouldn't go under like 70g of carbs to avoid dipping into ketosis and this should also avoid any keto flu or keto breath etc (I think most keto people say under 50g it starts with ketosis for a lot of people, though some need to restrict carbs even further).

Really digging this approach.

Andman

really like this approach, PUFA at ~10g would be a bit too much for me personally tho

id also like to suggest upping carbs to 150g/day which seems to be the minimum to ensure optimal t4–>t3 conversion if i remember correctly

OP
Jam

Jam

really like this approach, PUFA at ~10g would be a bit too much for me personally tho

id also like to suggest upping carbs to 150g/day which seems to be the minimum to ensure optimal t4–>t3 conversion if i remember correctly
My average daily omega-6 intake is consistently less than 5g. It sometimes climbs to 6-7g in the rare event that I eat more eggs or certain organ meats. I'm not afraid of omega-3 from whole foods.

OP
Jam

Jam

Could you post a reference to back this statement up when you get a chance? My thyroid parameters seem perfectly fine the way I'm eating now. I get more carbs when I have access to raw goat milk, but I don't at the moment. I feel just fine with the lower carbs.

Nomane Euger

Hi handman,if you find back the information about 150 grammes of carbs for optimal t4 to t3 convention let me know iam really interested

OP
Jam

Jam

Since this lower carb approach is using peat principles and ideas, I speculate on some things. For example:

We know that protein can lower blood sugar, so too much protein is probably gonna lead to brain fog or sluggishness or carb cravings. And Peat suggests atleast a 1:1 protein to carb ratio. So I I would think it would be ideal to keep protein as low as carbs or slightly lower with a max of roughly 100g each. So for non-athletes some like 80g-100g protein and 80-120g carbs seem reasonable on this approach (on like a ~1800-2300cal diet). There is obviously some leeway according to caloric needs.

Athletes then could scale their protein+carbs accordingly to activity.

I wouldn't go under like 70g of carbs to avoid dipping into ketosis and this should also avoid any keto flu or keto breath etc (I think most keto people say under 50g it starts with ketosis for a lot of people, though some need to restrict carbs even further).

Really digging this approach.
I don't get this blood sugar lowering effect you mention. I know some people on carnivore suffer from this, though, but it seems to be a rare disorder.
I have been wearing a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) for close to a week now. My fasting blood glucose is consistently between 85 and 90 an hour after waking up (it's a bit higher when I wake up due to the dawn phenomenon). This morning at 7:30am I only had time to eat 100g of parmesan with a teaspoon of honey and black coffee. That's 35g protein, 9g carbs, and 25g fat. My glucose reading climbed to 115 from a low of 85, and has been steadily dropping throughout the morning. It is now at 105 mg/dL at 12:05pm, and I am still not hungry yet.

Maljam

The ability to go longer between meals if needed and actually live my life, rather than constantly be thinking about what my next meal would be was liberating.

You probably wouldn't have felt great dropping carbs down very quickly, you have done the sensible way of reducing carbs slightly and increasing fat. Keep bringing the carbs down until you stop feeling good.

Andman

@Jam and @Nomane Euger

minimum of 150g carbs/day is just the number most often used in bodybuilding during diet breaks or when coming out of a low carb/keto dieting phase. I think Lyle McDonald has an article on that somewhere, although i havent been able to find it again (am at work right now)

I did however manage to dig up some pubmed goodies concering carb/fat intake and T3, if anyone wants to do some reading

Sefton10

The ability to go longer between meals if needed and actually live my life, rather than constantly be thinking about what my next meal would be was liberating.
It sounds daft but it genuinely is huge. I've seen me get to a point where going for a nice walk or visiting friends/family ends up becoming a stressor as you start wondering what you'll do once you need something to eat after 2 hours and your blood sugar tanks. Crazy way to live.

OP
Jam

Jam

Thank you @Andman, I'll sift through those when I get a chance. Keep in mind that, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I am no bodybuilder, nor do I lift weights. I do simple calisthenics daily so probably don't need as many carbs as a weightlifter or professional athlete.

That 150g carb magic number, now that I think of it, is the amount usually recommended to load up with daily for 3 days prior to a glucose loading test when coming from very low / zero carb...

Last edited:
OP
Jam

Jam

Ok, so I can't download the pdf for that one, it's behind a paywall. Given that the abstract does not specify the TYPE of fats used, I can guarantee you that it is high PUFA. As I mentioned in the original post of this thread, in 99.99% of studies, high fat = high PUFA.

OP
Jam

Jam

@Jam and @Nomane Euger

The fat used in this study was corn oil and margarine. "Ratio of saturated to unsaturated 1 : 2.5". LOL

OP
Jam

Jam

"One diet was high in polyunsaturated fat (HF), with 10%, 55%, and 35% of total calories derived from protein, fat, and carbohydrate, respectively."
Next?? ;)

OP
Jam

Jam

OP
Jam

Jam

So this is generally the point that I am trying to make clear in this thread. It's why I started it. Most if not ALL the "bad rap" that high-fat diets get is due to the fact that 99.99% of studies use HIGH PUFA!

A clear distinction must be made between high PUFA and high SAT fat diets. They are at polar opposites of the spectrum. One is highly toxic to the metabolism, while the other is highly supportive. This is the whole point of this thread.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals